VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog, Daisy, is lame in her front legs, She was simmilar to a swimmre puppy when she was born but the vet said that it was not that, it was just a defromity. She is a 1 yr old yellow lab, and her problem is that her shoulder blades bend out away from her body so her legs are held out to the sides like she is flying (easiest way to describe it).

When she was born we didnt notice anything different until she was about 3 days old she was not moving like the other puppies, so we took her to the vet and he fitted her with braces and we thought she would develop properly.

As she got older we realized she not only has a problem in her shoulders but she has very limited movment, particularly in her left forelimb. She was doing fine by just putting her chest on the floor and scooting along, (we have all hard wood so she can't get rug burn) but as she gets heavier she is developing lumps and cysts mostly on the severely deformed leg. We have taken her to the vet several times and he is very supportive of trying all we can before considering euthanasia. We looked at websites and found a lot of wheelchairs and such for hind legs but not front legs. I built her one out of PVC and fabric but she refused to stay in it, she will stand vertically until she shakes herself out of it, we tried this as a puppy too and had the same results.

I am in the process of making a padded vest for her, so that there will be coushion between her and the floor, but I am afraid it will rub on her.

I don't know what else to do, she is with my parents right now because as I posted earlier today I just do not have the time or resources to care for a dog particularly a handicapped one. I still do what I can to help her though and I really do not want to give up.

Any suggestions?? Help!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hmmm.. Is there anyway you can work a harness into your chair design so she can't wiggle out? I'm sure the more time you spend training her to use the chair, the less opposed to it she'll be. Maybe you could do training sessions where you hold her up in the cart using a harness and a leash, that way she can't get out. I don't know if it's a great idea to just have her scoot herself around, she could develop problems in her back. I know what you're going through. My dog had to be put down recently because she went paralyzed. Her problem started in her back legs and no matter how much I tried to get her to use the butt leash, she fought it. It's real tough when you're trying to do everything you can to help them and they fight it. I'm real sorry about your dog. She's real lucky to have an owner who loves her as much as you do.

Here's a cart for dog's that can't use their front legs:

http://www.dogkarts.com/doggon/dorder2.html

Good luck

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I saw her on Oprah, Daisy will not do that though, I tried, she likes to be down on her chest. I thought about maybe amputating the really bad leg, because that5 seems to be painful and she has no control over it really so I am afraid she will break it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

Hmmm.. Is there anyway you can work a harness into your chair design so she can't wiggle out? I don't know if it's a great idea to just have her scoot herself around, she could develop problems in her back. Here's a cart for dog's that can't use their front legs:

http://www.dogkarts.com/doggon/dorder2.html

Good luck
Thanks, I tried a harness but she lifts the chair and falls over and then cannot move at all...I am worried about her hips and back, thats probably my biggest concern.

I have seen that cart, I want to get her used to something similar (homemade) before I spend a lot of money on it though. If worse comes to worse though I will buy it for her and hope it works. Thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.