VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By this, I mean, how natural are you when it comes to beauty? Do you like perfume, make-up, looking "girly"? I guess I'm just curious to see if there is a trend with us veggies.

When it comes to me, I'm pretty natural. I wear Ylang Ylang essential oil every day (used to wear Patchouli), only own eyeliner (which I do put on every day, but not much), and prefer jeans over a skirt. I hate pantyhose- the name even bugs me, and when I've had a few "professional" make-up applications, I feel like I should be standing on the corner hustling johns.

I also have another related question for those that are pretty natural. What did/would you do for your wedding day where make-up was concerned? I had a pre-run done for my hair & make-up at the salon yesterday. Loved the hair, hated the make-up. Should I just get some lip gloss and go with my everyday look? The woman who did my make-up was horrified that I don't use mascara, concealer, eye cream, eye shadow, cake mix (wait, I think that was foundation??). I was told that I should "never leave the house without mascara".

Anyway, it'll be interesting to hear how everyone answers.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I like the natural look. I run around in jeans and undone hair... I barely wear any make-up and I don't wear purfume.

I wear all the good stuff for naughty type fun.

·
Registered
739 Posts
When I wear make up, it's generally light eyeliner, maybe a very little brush of a gold or bronze shimmer on the eyelids and tinted lip gloss. That's my evening out look! I try and wear makeup so it doesn't look like I'm wearing makeup, if that makes any sense. I do still like to play with it sometimes though and go crazy caking it on, but I never leave the house with it that way, except on Halloween!
As for perfume, well, lets just say my son came home the other day reeking of cologne and my sinuses are still trying to forgive him!
I don't know why, but spray perfumes I'm allergic too, but oils I'm ok with. I like the natural scents like the patchouli, but I enjoy vanilla musk too. Not into flowery scents unless its lavender. I love lavender!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Practically every day I wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I own one skirt and a pair of high heels, but the last time those were worn was in '01 for a funeral. I never wear makeup, not even lip gloss. my hair is always into a ponytail. Yep, I am a boring, natural looking girl.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I've gone back and forth on this one a couple of times. One semester a couple of semesters ago, I wouldn't leave the house without wearing at least foundation, blush, lipstick, and some kind of eyeliner and eye shadow. Then I realized that my eyelids were really not liking eyeliner and eye shadow (major irritation and redness), so I stopped with that.

Last summer, I was working all the time, and I didn't care a hoot what my coworkers saw when they looked at my face, so I decided to save time and money and not wear any makeup. Since then, I only put it on for special occassions or when I really feel like doing it.

I have NEVER liked mascara. I'd try to put it on evenly, but it would always clump and get in my eyes, plus I couldn't scratch an itch around my eyes with mascara on.

Perfume is icky. I don't even like scented deoderant.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ah, skirts. Time to dig out my hippie skirts for summer! I love those! The ones that touch the top of my feet and are super comfy. I like a tye-dye with a long skirt, shorts or cords and a pair of sandals for summer. Throw on of my many head scarves on and I'm good to go!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
No make-up (unless I'm on stage). Quite frankly, I wouldn't know how to put on normal "daily" make-up. At my sister's wedding my sister had to put on my make-up (or, her make-up, since I don't own any) for me since I haven't a clue what I'm doing. (If I didn't wear make-up there I would've washed out in the pictures; I'm pretty pale)

I only wear skirts when I'm going somewhere *really* nice. I wear jeans most of the time. Slacks when I have to. Perfume makes me ill, and the closest I get to lip gloss is chapstick.

I also really don't know what to do with my hair. It's long, so I generally braid it to keep it out of my face. If I have to dress up, I let it down because it is nice hair, after all.

Nylons are the devil (and I hate the word "pantyhose" too -- so much so that I will not use it). Fish nets on the other hand...

Really, the only thing I put on besides clothes in the morning are sunscreen and , if necessary, lotion. Unscented, if at all possible.

As far as your wedding day, you do need at least a little make-up or else you'll look pallid in the photos. Most wedding photographers don't have the luxury of taking your picture in great light, so the make-up will help your features not wash out in bright light & show up in dark light (er, less light... dark light doesn't make sense). You don't have to go heavy, but you do need some.

Mskedi

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
When I am at work, I dress for practicality. Creativity is secondary. At school, church, or home, I like to be unusual. That sometimes involves skirts. Skirts can be so much more fun than pants!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Oh man, I forgot a bunch more questions...

My hair at work is in a ponytail. Again, practicality. Sometimes I braid it or do it up somehow, but the norm is a ponytail.

I despise pantyhose. I will wear jeans under a skirt much more readily than I will wear pantyhose. (Truthfully, I wear jeans under a skirt almost every day at work at the small grocery store because of practicality and the dress code.)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
before i had two young kids i paid a lot of attention to my hair, wore make-up, and tried to dress well. now i feel like i'm having a great day if i manage to brush my hair and teeth in the morning and my clothes, if not freshly laundered, at least don't have big spots of dried food and baby-goop smeared all over them.

the most "make-up" i ever wear on a daily basis is a bit of "the merry hempsters vegan lip balm". if i have a party or an appointment i might powder my face and put on mascara; but only if i have time. most people get me as i am: blotchy, pale, disshevelled, and wacky.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer to go about in jeans and tshirts. I can't wear spray perfumes, and much prefer natural scented oils. I love this site:

http://www.demeteronline.com

and can't wait to try some of their fragrances, especially grass and dirt

I prefer no makeup. But sometimes, I have to dress up for occasions which I will wear slacks or skirts, and makeup and fix my hair. I've been told I look much better with makeup but bah.

I was married once. Our ceremony was at the beach, but because it was so windy we ended up having it on the deck of the beach house we had rented. I wore a very simple long white dress that cost under 100 bucks, minimal makeup (shadow, mascara, and lip gloss), and my hair was natural although my friend tried to poof it up hehe We didn't have professional photography done so the pictures looked fine.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Even when I put on some Lip Smackers (I love my Lip Smackers!) just 'cause my lips are dry, Wolf will ask me why I'm wearing make-up!
He doesn't like perfume either. I love the Merry Hempsters stuff too! Terra-tints is my "lipstick". Pantyhose are of the devil! Ugh!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I'm the odd one out here. I can go either way. I have no set style and just go for whatever mood I'm in. I love to dress up, but normally wear minimal makeup and vanilla scented perfume. When I got married I had my two sister in laws do my hair and makeup, they did a great job. For the honeymoon we went camping, in a tent about 2 hours into the "wild".

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
both. i wear light make up and dress up for work and when i go out depending where it is. otherwise casual. i dont wear perfume but i wear this body spray fruity type stuff that smells sooo good. everyone says so cept my good friend. if im wearing it he always says "eeew you stink". hmph.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I usually wear mascara, often eyeliner pencil, sometimes lipstick and blusher. Never ever foundation or powder. My hair is very long so it's always in some kind of pony tail or plait. I wear jeans 29 days out of 30. I keep meaning to wear skirts, but then at the last minute I find I have no shoes or something...

I like perfume but seldom wear it, a little Body Shop one will last me for years. Animals hate perfume and would smell me coming, and I get a buzz out of close wildlife contact. I make up for it by burning oils on a lamp ring.

When we got married I had my hair in a ponytail, did my own makeup (same as usual) wore a gorgeous indian cotton dress in bright red and some second hand red high heel shoes. Then our honeymoon was 2 weeks in a little tent. In Scotland. And it rained furiously every day. Do not have a honeymoon in a tent.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who wears ponytails the majority of the time. My hair is so thick and slippery that I have trouble doing anything else with it- braids slip right out.

Msdeki, 'tis true that I should wear *some* make-up for my wedding day. I, too, am fair skinned and usually look washed out in pictures. Just a little while ago, I talked to my mom on the phone and she told me I "had to" put on some self-tanner so I didn't look pale. I'm not too fond of putting something on my skin that changes it's color semi-permanently. To think, we were going to go to Hawaii and elope..... Sigh.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts