VeggieBoards banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post

as for the farm with the happy cows, thats not the case. for a cow to produce milk, there is offspring. the offspring is surplus to requirements, and will go for veal in this case.

people always forget ( or just dont know), that just like humans, the cow (woman) HAS to be pregnant to produce milk.
I can see those cows right here by looking over our fence to the farmer across the street. I said, on the right farms that are subject to special laws, the cows and hens don't have to suffer in any way and have a good life as long as they give milk and eggs. That also includes their offspring on these farms, until it gets killed. At least where I live.

And no, I haven't forgot that they need to be pregnant first to produce milk. But that doesn't mean that any being has to be hurt for you to drink milk. And that's what I said, that theoretically you can have milk and eggs without any animal suffering. It would be much more expensive, as bio milk is already, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

And by the way, I suppose you are in USA? The taxes you pay also go into subsidies to ranchers and war! You are indirectly causing people to be able to buy cheap meat by paying taxes. Just as drinking milk can have a negative side effect. But that doesn't mean you approve it. If you think of all negative side effects your actions can have, you will go crazy sooner or later.

What I'm trying to say here is that we don't live in a perfect world and can only do our best. We have to concentrate on the direct effects our actions have and the obvious.

Especially if you are 13, you shouldn't agonise on all the negative consequences any of your actions could theoretically cause indirectly. You have lots of other things to do like growing up and trying to change peoples minds so the circumstances in the world get better. In other words, you can do more good by paying taxes, so you don't end up in jail, trying to change what they are spend on.

You are not a bad person if you don't invest the time on becoming vegan with 13.

Again, yes, vegan is the way to go. I do not dismiss that. But you have to set priorities and you shouldn't agonise yourself about living a perfectly correct life in an imperfect world. Rather try to change the world!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post

I agree, don't get me wrong. My kids, 10, 13 and 16...I just don't allow my children to use it as a social communication tool and do not allow them anywhere they would need a "profile" (myspace, xanga etc...).
You can put fake info everywhere. Why disallow them to use it as social communication tool? I mean, they go to school, don't they? I don't know what kind of school it is, but the communication there will demoralise them more than most places on the Internet could ever do.

What I think has to be done is to enlighten them on possible predators on the net. But disallowing it will just make them use it somewhere else, at friends place for example.

Please don't be offended by what I said. I'm only 22, but I had to say that. Since I would have been pretty angry if my parents would have disallowed me to use it as communication tool with 16. We have Internet since 98, since I'm 14. It didn't make me an asocial or bad person I think
... I think it helped me more than anything else. Because online you can talk to people anonymously and talk about problems you may not dare asking anyone in real life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyAuthority9 View Post

I know this is a stupid question but whats the difference between a vegetarian & a lacto vegetarian?
I would say vegetarian is just the general term for someone who doesn't eat meat.

Quote:
* Lacto vegetarianism Lacto vegetarians do not eat meat or eggs but do consume dairy products. Most vegetarians in India and those in the classical Mediterranean lands, such as Pythagoreans, are or were lacto vegetarian.

* Lacto-ovo vegetarianism (also called eggitarian colloquially in India) Lacto-ovo vegetarians do not eat meat but do consume dairy products and eggs. This is currently the most common variety in the Western world.

* Ovo vegetarianism Ovo vegetarians do not eat meat or dairy products but do eat eggs.

* Veganism Those who avoid eating any animal products, including eggs, milk, cheese, and honey, are known specifically as dietary vegans or strict vegetarians. Most additionally avoid using animal products, such as leather and some cosmetics, and are called vegans.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiXiDu View Post

You can put fake info everywhere. Why disallow them to use it as social communication tool? I mean, they go to school, don't they? I don't know what kind of school it is, but the communication there will demoralise them more than most places on the Internet could ever do.

What I think has to be done is to enlighten them on possible predators on the net. But disallowing it will just make them use it somewhere else, at friends place for example.

Please don't be offended by what I said. I'm only 22, but I had to say that. Since I would have been pretty angry if my parents would have disallowed me to use it as communication tool with 16. We have Internet since 98, since I'm 14. It didn't make me an asocial or bad person I think
... I think it helped me more than anything else. Because online you can talk to people anonymously and talk about problems you may not dare asking anyone in real life.
Fortunately, they don't care. They don't even ask. And believe me, when they DO want something, they don't hesitate to let me know. I am not one to GIVE something to my kids "because they'll just get it somewhere else". If that were the case, they would have porn, drugs and booze under the Christmas tree. They'll do what they do when they are not with me, but they have a good amount of respect for their family and our rules and morals. They trust us as parents. It's all about good relationships, which I am blessed to have with all three of my kids.
They are very intelligent and creative kids. They fill their time with good stuff. Very rarely do they just sit aroound doing nothing, which is the kind of time kids need to "chat" online. Anyhow, it's just dangerous. Period. And not a place I want vulnerable children spending their time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiXiDu View Post

And by the way, I suppose you are in USA? The taxes you pay also go into subsidies to ranchers and war! You are indirectly causing people to be able to buy cheap meat by paying taxes. Just as drinking milk can have a negative side effect. [/I]
But you don't HAVE TO drink milk....you DO have to pay your taxes (if you want to continue living in the U.S.--preferably not in prison).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post

Very rarely do they just sit aroound doing nothing, which is the kind of time kids need to "chat" online. Anyhow, it's just dangerous. Period. And not a place I want vulnerable children spending their time.
It's not doing nothing. You are not doing nothing here right now having this discussion with me.

Yet nobody can come thru your screen and do anything bad to you. Also as well as you can tell your kids not to go into gang neighborhoods, you can tell your kids not to visit...I dunno, maybe Al Qaida web sites?

If you fear having them looking at porn. I can't help that. That's easy online. But it won't kill or corrupt them


Anyways, sorry for getting off topic here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,260 Posts
By the way, XiXiDu, welcome to VB!

My main problem with children on the Internet unsupervised is that there are predatorial adults who pose as children themselves and bait children into meeting them. But this is really a thread for the Compost Heap and I will gladly split the thread if we'd like to discuss this in detail there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I recommend to anyone who has decided to stick on a lacto diet to read the article on the benefits of one, foods to eat and a meal plan. The article is written by an expert on the Core Spirit community. Take a look: Lacto-Vegetarian Diet: Benefits, Foods to Eat, and Meal Plan

You can also feel free to just look for other articles and educate yourself. There is a lot of quality material on the platform on the topic of vegetarianism and veganism: Articles

Good luck and welcome!
 
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top