VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to become Lacto Vegetarian, I wanted to become a vegetarian, but I do eat alot of dairy and I am 13 so I do not have complete control of whats for dinner I just have the choice between certian things, so Lacto Vegetarian is perfect for me because dairy is what is hardest for me to get around.I also think some dairy farms are ok, I know this farm that has many cows and only milk them when they need to be milked and they let the cows choose to go in a certian area to be milked and the cows have a nice big open field(I am not sure about all this but this is what they said on TV), I think I should just get milk from them only.Well any advice and support is very welcome

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
I think it's awesome that you're doing the best you can. What I admire most is that you're working with your current situation (living with the family) and controlling the parts that you can (where the milk comes from). The fact that you're thinking about these things at 13 says a lot about you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd suggest you to not madden yourself too much. You do just great with 13 and much better than most other people. You have to draw a line somehwere. By eating dairy products and also eggs, you are not directly causing the death of a being. Theoretically no animal would have to die because you drink its milk or eat its eggs. I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Germany, as long as you only consume dairy products and eggs from certain branches, I think you call it wholefood products, the animals don't have to suffer in any way and have a good life as long as they give milk and eggs.

When I say that you have to draw a line and that you are not directly causing the death of a living being, then I mean that any action you take has indirectly far reaching consequences. For example, if you use cars that need gas, you are polluting the environment, generating noise, causing the destruction of wildlife habitat for streets and so on.

Try to do your best for all beings to survive and have a good life but don't madden yourself. It's not your fault that you live in an imperfect world. You need to arrange with the circumstances as good as you can. But it's no solution to stop breathing because you could swallow a fly or not to walk thru grass because you could crush a beetle, that won't work.

Maybe one day we'll manage to turn the world into a more perfect place where nobody needs to stay alive on the cost of another.

Think logical, stay rational!

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiXiDu View Post

y eating dairy products and also eggs, you are not directly causing the death of a being. Theoretically no animal would have to die because you drink its milk or eat its eggs. I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Germany, as long as you only consume dairy products and eggs from certain branches, I think you call it wholefood products, the animals don't have to suffer in any way and have a good life as long as they give milk and eggs.

When I say that you have to draw a line and that you are not directly causing the death of a living being, then I mean that any action you take has indirectly far reaching consequences. For example, if you use cars that need gas, you are polluting the environment, generating noise, causing the destruction of wildlife habitat for streets and so on.
Cruelty and killing is pretty strongly entailed in dairy and egg production, via separation of calves from their mothers, calves going to slaughter, male chicks being killed, chickens bought from hatcheries, etc etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Cruelty and killing is pretty strongly entailed in dairy and egg production, via separation of calves from their mothers, calves going to slaughter, male chicks being killed, chickens bought from hatcheries, etc etc.
Vegan is the way to go for an ethical correct diet. Didn't mean to say something else. What I wanted to say is just that you can't do all that would be right on its own. Or it's very hard. Especially if you are 13, to check every product if it is qualified for a vegan diet. "Hey, yes I'm vegetarian but I can't eat that salat, the sauce contains milk...". To madden yourself too much is never good!

I look up to anyone who can cope a vegan diet, especially if you are that young.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can't get past thinking a 13 y/o should not be posting on message boards.
Social internet use + children = trouble, IMO. That's the mom in me, I have a 13 y/o. The vegan in me says, hooooray to you for taking a big step into vegetatrianism! Great choice!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiXiDu View Post

I'd suggest you to not madden yourself too much. You do just great with 13 and much better than most other people. You have to draw a line somehwere. By eating dairy products and also eggs, you are not directly causing the death of a being. Theoretically no animal would have to die because you drink its milk or eat its eggs. I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Germany, as long as you only consume dairy products and eggs from certain branches, I think you call it wholefood products, the animals don't have to suffer in any way and have a good life as long as they give milk and eggs.
it is always best to give up gradually, but if you can do it in one go, excellent. it takes time, there are certain things you wont be aware of, but will bcome apparant.

as for the farm with the happy cows, thats not the case. for a cow to produce milk, there is offspring. the offspring is surplus to requirements, and will go for veal in this case.

people always forget ( or just dont know), that just like humans, the cow (woman) HAS to be pregnant to produce milk.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post

I can't get past thinking a 13 y/o should not be posting on message boards.
Social internet use + children = trouble, IMO. That's the mom in me, I have a 13 y/o. The vegan in me says, hooooray to you for taking a big step into vegetatrianism! Great choice!
the internet is an amazing place for kids, and adults to learn about life.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post

the internet is an amazing place for kids, and adults to learn about life.
I agree, don't get me wrong. My kids, 10, 13 and 16, use it (supervised only) for all sorts of school research, reports and projects! They use it for music and information and countless oter things. It's a WONDERFUL tool for anyone. Priceless! I just don't allow my children to use it as a social communication tool and do not allow them anywhere they would need a "profile" (myspace, xanga etc...).

Sorry, now back on topic...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post

I agree, don't get me wrong. My kids, 10, 13 and 16, use it (supervised only) for all sorts of school research, reports and projects! They use it for music and information and countless oter things. It's a WONDERFUL tool for anyone. Priceless! I just don't allow my children to use it as a social communication tool and do not allow them anywhere they would need a "profile" (myspace, xanga etc...).

Sorry, now back on topic...
yeha, thats cool, i totally understand how you have to be so carefull with kids in chatrooms etc, there are some evil ****ers aout there.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicDaisy View Post

I have decided to become Lacto Vegetarian, I wanted to become a vegetarian, but I do eat alot of dairy and I am 13 so I do not have complete control of whats for dinner I just have the choice between certian things, so Lacto Vegetarian is perfect for me because dairy is what is hardest for me to get around.
Its a good compromise-- also you can explore Indian food from places where there are strict Hindus. It is also better in a way (for your lifestyle now, being 13 and at home) because you can actually go to many restauraunts and get great veggie subs, meatless pasta etc. For some reason it is fairly easy to get vegitarian food if it can contain milk or cheese (eggs too, but that is another story). You also dont have to really worry much about protien and B12. It is also better for your parents, because they don't need to be rocket scientists to feed you. The only thing you should look out for is that milk is very fattening, and even though you are not eating meat, you should really watch overdoing it on the dairy. It is also better to try to get organic cheese, but it is more expensive. If you eat cheese every meal, then start a good exersise program to make sure you dont go overweight. I'm an O/L vegitarian but I dont eat a lot of eggs, and now I have sworn off milk because it gives me heartburn, but I do still eat cheese. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.