VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.timescolonist.com/health/...766/story.html

Quote:
A few years ago, the BBC reported on a study that linked a high IQ with being vegetarian. More than 8,000 children in the U.K. were given IQ tests in 1970. When researchers followed up with the participants decades later, they found that people who had scored well on the tests were more likely to become vegetarian later in life.
Another study showed that vegans and vegetarians have more empathy for both animals and people than meat-eaters do. Researchers in Europe recruited vegan, vegetarian and meat-eating volunteers and placed them into an MRI machine while showing them a series of random pictures. The MRI scans revealed that when observing animal or human suffering, the empathy-related areas of the brain are more active among vegetarians and vegans. The researchers also found that there are certain brain areas that only vegans and vegetarians seem to activate when witnessing suffering.
So, could it be that your deer-hunting cousin or that woman at the store with the fur-trimmed jacket is just not smart enough to see that animals feel pain every bit as acutely, love their young every bit as deeply and long for freedom every bit as intensely as we do?
What a shock

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Living in a mostly-rural area around "the good ol' boys" I would agree with this.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Living in a mostly-rural area around "the good ol' boys" I would agree with this.
Please tell this "good ol boy" from a rural area more about why he's stupid and immoral. I'm all ears. I'll snack on some hummus while you educate me.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Several years ago there was a link on VB that showed a correlation between higher IQ and vegetarianism, but put vegans somewhere behind the curve.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I don't have any particular love for animals. I don't have any particular love for my sister in law, either, but I wouldn't stuff her in a tiny cage to wallow in her own feces. That's how I quantify my stance as an animal advocate. I never was a "Oh the poor little bunnies!" kinda guy. I have a colder, more calculating mind and an admitted jealous and petty streak. But I'm not apathetic, I'm not evil and I refuse to be ignorant of suffering.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
^^^ I have my maudlin moments every now and then, but this is exactly the point: refusing to treat animals like crap during their short lives and then eat them is just basic decency to animals- not some extreme hyper-emotional obsession about them.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I don't have any particular love for animals. I don't have any particular love for my sister in law, either, but I wouldn't stuff her in a tiny cage to wallow in her own feces. That's how I quantify my stance as an animal advocate. I never was a "Oh the poor little bunnies!" kinda guy. I have a colder, more calculating mind and an admitted jealous and petty streak. But I'm not apathetic, I'm not evil and I refuse to be ignorant of suffering.
Vegans are more likely to be hard core logical rather than cuddly-wuddly bunny-huggers, you mean?

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
And!

Just as btw ...

The only reason that anyone could possibly eat or drink dairy products is that they have no consideration for udders.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

And!

Just as btw ...

The only reason that anyone could possibly eat or drink dairy products is that they have no consideration for udders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts