VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could this be the cause of my low energy?

For some odd reason, my Dr. mailed me my results and then asked that I come in for an appointment to talk about them. I really don't like worrying about things. I am a subscriber to ignorance being bliss...

What can I do to fix my diet to get more iron and protein? I have low thyroid function, so I am a little hesitant to start loading up on soy.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome to the bandwagon!

Eat more Spinach! And broccoli and kale and other leafy greens.

Yes, anemia does cause low energy. Mine was so bad at one point that I would have black outs.

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Yes iron anemia can make you feel like your energy is shutting down . Go and have a talk to your Dr , there are several ways to approach the problem , all treatable and with maybe small diet changes you will be
all over the place

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Yes, low energy and weakness are typical with low iron levels. I agree with the spinach and broccoli recommendation, along with a supplement. I take a multivitamin with iron, and I eat spinach and broccoli a lot, and I recently found out that I actually have too much iron. This shocked the heck out of me, since I was actually anemic as a kid (20+ years ago).

--Fromper

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try Total cereal. It's got loads of iron, from what I understand. I don't know if it's vegan or not. [Edit: I do believe it is]

Funny story about iron....I had an iron check done the last time I went to donate blood. My iron level was perfect - the lady jokingly asked me if I ate a steak for breakfast every day. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her that I've been a vegetarian for the past 12 years. *score*

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Yes, having an anemia may cause feeling low of energy, but low thyroid function does the same. So, you got two problems to solve.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
im in the same boat....i have hypothyroid, which i take meds for, its an easy one to fix.

i am also verrrry anemic right now...i go up and down based on my quality of diet...which obviously is lacking right now

i would recommend also cooking w/ an iron pan too.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I found things like green smoothies and extra dark green veggies at dinner keep my anemia at bay.

Don't worry too much, if you get your diet sorted and any extra advice from your doctor, you should be feeling better soon

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
It also will help to eat iron-rich foods along with viatmin C-rich foods. The vitamin C helps iron absorption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Tomatoes View Post

Funny story about iron....I had an iron check done the last time I went to donate blood. My iron level was perfect - the lady jokingly asked me if I ate a steak for breakfast every day. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her that I've been a vegetarian for the past 12 years. *score*
I get that too. Not so much from the blood bank folks but from coworkers because I usually give at the work blood drive, like yesterday. "I wouldn't think you'd be able to give blood." They say it every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts