VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other fans? He's been my favorite writer since I was 14 or so. Simplistic, childish ... and yet profound. Pathos that makes you laugh and humor that makes you cry. And hardly any big words or tricky syntax. Quite an accomplishment, all around. One of a kind.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes! I love Vonnegut. I wouldn't say he is simplistic and childish though
His style is actually really complex and difficult to emulate. Unless you mean succinct?

On a side note have you seen the film adaptation of Breakfast of Champions? Very lucid. And strangely enough Bruce Willis is in it and is brilliant - I have newfound respect for him now.

Bruce Willis - Dwayne Hoover

Barbara Hershey - Celia Hoover

Lukas Haas - 'Bunny' Hoover

Nick Nolte - Henry Le Sabre

Albert Finney - Kilgore Trout

The cast is great and I'm suprised it wasn't widely released.

What's your fave KV novel? Mine would have to be Slaughterhouse Five, or Breakfast of Champions.

Have you read any of '"Kilgore Trout's" work? Hahaa

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean childish and simplistic in the best possible way -- I mean, c'mon, the guy draws an a**hole on the page!

I love Breakfast of Champions and an tempted to claim it as my favorite; haven't seen the flick. I did see (very very late one night) an old "Slaughterhouse-Five" that was surprisinging faithful and watchable.

I saw one book by "Kilgore Trout." "Venus on the Halfshell or something. There are more?

My cats are called "Kilgore" and "Trout."

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

I mean childish and simplistic in the best possible way -- I mean, c'mon, the guy draws an a**hole on the page!

Yeah that's what I figured

Quote:
I love Breakfast of Champions and an tempted to claim it as my favorite; haven't seen the flick. I did see (very very late one night) an old "Slaughterhouse-Five" that was surprisinging faithful and watchable.

Argh I have been trying to find Slaughterhouse Five on video for ages. I found it on DVD in the US for - wait for it $179.00 USD because its out of print and the DVD was a limited run or something. But I did find a website that has the video for about $15.99 USD which is reasonable I guess but I hate using videos now that I've been spoilt by DVD.

Quote:
I saw one book by "Kilgore Trout." "Venus on the Halfshell or something. There are more?

My cats are called "Kilgore" and "Trout."
[/QUOTE]

I had some short stories lent to me by my lecturer - a Vonnegut freak - I'll see if I can get them again.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Vonnegut rocks!

I love Breakfast of Champions, Slapstick, Galapagos--I spent one semester in college reading nothing but Vonnegut and at the end of the semester, I think I was a touch crazy. Coincidence? You be the judge.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Raine

george orwell wrote animal farm.

i read vonnegut when i was 12 and i hated it. maybe because i was 12
? i've kept his books around despite. perhaps i should re-read?
Yeah I think you should def. have a re-read. Which book was it? I doubt anyone could really appreciate him reading it at 12. Esp if you were like me - hyperactive - it would have just confused me.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I have secretly been in love with Kurt Vonnegut for years now. My favorite book of his is Breakfast of Champions, though I don't think that's his most popular book. He's just funny, weird and divinely human. I love that about him.

B

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I like the Breakfast Of Champions so much because of the way he tells that story. Even the most inconsequential characters are given life and depth as he relates their exact life circumstances with humor.

"Patty Keene was stupid on purpose, which was the case with most women in Midland City. the women all had big minds because they were big animals, but they did not use them much for this reason: unusual ideas could make enemies, and the women, if they were going to achieve any sort of comfort and safety, needed all the friends they could get."

I just plucked the book off my shelf, opened it up to a page, and this is what I got.

B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts