·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Huh? I've been seeing this everywhere, but I'm not prepared to watch the video until I know what it's actually about.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
~

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I find it amazing & hope it works. I think people will do their bit.

Just watch the video! It's all explained.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Seems like there's always a lot of horrible things going on in Uganda.

Isn't it also illegal to be homosexual over there? Not as in gay marriage or even sodomy but just being gay? I think it's punishable by death or something?

Seems like the good people of that region are constantly being preyed upon by theocratic dictators of various stripes. I think Uganda is a good cautionary tale about what actually happens in a nation when people like Rick Santorum have absolute control and get their way. It's not pretty. And no, I don't think that's off topic, offensive or an exaggeration of any type.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

It's about Joseph Kony (leader of the Lord's Resistance Army), who has been kidnapping kids for 20+ years in Africa, making them kill their families, then become 'soldiers' for him. Actually the boys become soldiers, the girls are made into sex slaves.
How horrible. I hadn't heard of this until today. It seems to be everywhere now.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I really want this social revolution and the information age to be a force of good in the world.
+1. We've already seen some success and this would be a huge step in the right direction.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
According to Wikipedia, he wants to create a society based on the Ten Commandments. WTF??? He's breaking every single one of the commandments! He's clearly insane and delusional.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wonder what the Ugandans think of this. "Oh good the white man is here to save us from a guy that hasn't been here for six years."

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
This is probably going to get me banned or something but...its flavour of the month. The OP said Amy posted something relating to this over 6 years ago.
Why has it suddenly jumped back into the media spotlight.
Remember when the riots went on in the UK and that was trending on Twitter, or when Japan suffered that devistating Earthquake and the internet was buzzing with viral links and 'Save Japan' logos. Japan is STILL recovering from that...and do we hear about it on the news...nope. Because something else came along to hold our interest,

What makes people think sharing a link or a video is going to make any difference to a situation that has been going on for countless years? If they want to help click a donate button, not a like button.
Perhaps World War 2 would have ended sooner if Twitter and Facebook had been around to share links on how bad and evil Hitler was.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

This is probably going to get me banned or something but...its flavour of the month. The OP said Amy posted something relating to this over 6 years ago.
Remember when the riots went on in the UK and that was trending on Twitter, or when Japan suffered that devistating Earthquake and the internet was buzzing with viral links and 'Save Japan' logos. Japan is STILL recovering from that...and do we hear about it on the news...nope. Because something else came along to hold our interest,

What makes people think sharing a link or a video is going to make any difference to a situation that has been going on for countless years? If they want to help click a donate button, not a like button.
Perhaps World War 2 would have ended sooner if Twitter and Facebook had been around to share links on how bad and evil Hitler was.
I completely agree.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

This has been going on for over 20 years. It can't stay on the front page every night. Like you said the world moves on. But there is renewed interest in it and I don't see how that can be a bad thing. Imagine if we had pretty much stopped talking about AIDS for the last 20 years and then someone said "Hey you guys, did you know about this acquired immune deficiency syndrome that has killed 25 million people?" Would your response still be "old news"?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I didnt say 'old news'
Any cause that gets air time and is worthy of it is fine by me. What I dont like it when the media and social network sites pick up and put down hard hitting issues of political struggle or natural disasters that affect people(like this Kony story) when it suits them.
If you believe in something, speak out. All the time. Like alot of us do with veg*nism.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
This is freaking everywhere. And there seem to be two factions, one which is all for it and another which thinks that it's a "scam" somehow.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:
I enjoyed reading this. I'm really sceptical of anything that wants my money, and I wasn't seeing any problems with this campaign. Even after reading criticisms, I still don't see any major problems. They say things like "only 33 percent of its $8 million-plus in spending on "direct services.'" I actually think this is pretty good for a charity focusing on international issues, isn't it?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts