VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who drinks it? What has been your experience with it? Good, bad, indifferent?

Who makes it? Same questions as above.

I got a SCOBY recently and made my first batch and was really grossed out by the look of it and quite frankly, the smell as well. But I powered through and took a taste and I rather enjoy it! I was amazed how big the new SCOBY became already. I feel bad but I'll have to start tossing the SCOBY after each brew as I'm not making huge batches of it or anything. And because I'm a newer vegetarian and trying very hard to be a Eco conscious consumer, I have not been talking about my diet with friends or family as I get way too many weird looks and judgement, so forget that. But I do suffer from ulcerative colitis and frankly, I've tried most medications and no luck, so kombucha gets its shot now.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I brew my own and I love it. It's so much fun experimenting w/ different flavorings (fresh fruit, dried fruit, agave, etc.). I know how you feel about throwing away your SCOBY. I felt so guilty when I did it, but after apologizing to it, I figured it was just going back into the earth. I got away from it while I moved, but i have a SCOBY in my fridge just waiting to come back to life. I love the way the stuff makes me feel. I actually get a mild high from it (fermentation?). If you do a continuous brew, you won't have to keep throwing away your SCOBY. There's lots of info on Booch on the internet and YouTube. Good luck. Hope I helped.

Laura

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
After seeing one of Mimi Kirk's videos last year about it, I've wanted to make some (though that's pretty much my response to all her videos.
). I had tried it once and was surprised that it was actually pretty good. I haven't had any since, but now I want to go out and buy a bottle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

After seeing one of Mimi Kirk's videos last year about it, I've wanted to make some (though that's pretty much my response to all her videos.
). I had tried it once and was surprised that it was actually pretty good. I haven't had any since, but now I want to go out and buy a bottle.
If you want to make your own let me know, my SCOBY is already asking to have its own room!!!!! Lol

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

I brew my own and I love it. It's so much fun experimenting w/ different flavorings (fresh fruit, dried fruit, agave, etc.). I know how you feel about throwing away your SCOBY. I felt so guilty when I did it, but after apologizing to it, I figured it was just going back into the earth. I got away from it while I moved, but i have a SCOBY in my fridge just waiting to come back to life. I love the way the stuff makes me feel. I actually get a mild high from it (fermentation?). If you do a continuous brew, you won't have to keep throwing away your SCOBY. There's lots of info on Booch on the internet and YouTube. Good luck. Hope I helped.

Laura
I think I get a mild buzz too but thought I was imagining it!!!!! Lol I just began drinking it so I really hope it helps me in some way ease into remission with my illness.

Ryan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I tried it once. (Bought from Whole Foods.) I didn't like it.
I didn't at first either but I geek out on this stuff, the science of it and of course the health of it. I encourage you to try it again.

Ryan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

It's definitely an acquired taste. I eventually loved it.
Raven I love your avatar. Lol make me smile.

Ryan

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I drink it and looove it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan820 View Post

Raven I love your avatar. Lol make me smile.

Ryan

Thank you. That's my baby, Jesse. He's the love of my life. Unfortunately, he has FeLv. He's 6 years old and still very healthy, though.

Laura

·
Registered
319 Posts
The buzz would be called alcohol

If you're getting a buzz, the alcohol content is probably too high. (Alcohol isn't good for you)
You might try aerating it with a fish tank pump and aerator; that should convert the alcohol into acetic acid faster. Keeping it a bit warmer might also help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

Unlike in sourdough bread, or miso where the microbes (particularly Aspergillus; Kombucha has no Aspergillus) serve and important purpose of producing enzymes to break down glutens, other proteins, and some anti-nutrients, there's not really much in the tea that needs breaking down.

In other words, you don't need to pre-digest sugar water

And neither yeast nor Acetobacter (the primary cultures involved) are probably useful for anything other than converting sugar into alcohol and vinegar respectively (e.g. they are probably not useful pro-biotics). Some of the microbes involved may also produce some toxic antibiotics in the process.

I can't see much benefit in fermenting beverages.

However, if you like the taste, go for it
It's probably not very harmful (it's just not likely very helpful either).
Don't throw away the SCOBY!

It's mostly fiber and protein. You should be able to marinate it, and then fry it up and eat it.

If you don't like it, you can dry it out; it's a kind of non-animal leather. Cut it into strips and make a craft project

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I tried it and found it disgusting. My doctor also told me not to drink it, so I don't.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

My doctor also told me not to drink it, so I don't.
Pretty good advice in general.

Sugar (high glycemic, largely empty calories) + alcohol (of course, toxic, and empty calories) + acetic acid (particularly on an empty stomach, it could aggravate ulcers, etc.) + traces of a number of other antibiotics (which could kill good bacteria and contribute to yeast overgrowth) and assorted toxins (depending on the cultures used), some of which, if I remember correctly, are Nephrotoxic(!!!) If you have a weakened immune system, it would definitely be a no-go.

Although if somebody really likes the taste, in moderation, I don't think it's much worse than Coca-cola or beer, and it might have some minor redeeming qualities that make up for its potential toxicity (for one, it's made with tea- but just straight tea with a bit of Stevia would beat it hands down).
There are definitely worse things that you could drink... Jägerbomb comes to mind

If you used the SCOBY on grape juice, and used an aerator, waiting for all of the sugars to be completely converted into acetic acid (not stopping at alcohol), and processing it much faster (so there's not such a buildup of potentially toxic antibiotics) you could have some pretty decent home-made balsamic vinegar on your hands.

I'd use that. But I'd probably want to pasteurize it before using it. (I'd eat the SCOBY too, but again, I'd cook it first).

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

Pretty good advice in general.

Sugar (high glycemic, largely empty calories) + alcohol (of course, toxic, and empty calories) + acetic acid (particularly on an empty stomach, it could aggravate ulcers, etc.) + traces of a number of other antibiotics (which could kill good bacteria and contribute to yeast overgrowth) and assorted toxins (depending on the cultures used), some of which, if I remember correctly, are Nephrotoxic(!!!) If you have a weakened immune system, it would definitely be a no-go.

Although if somebody really likes the taste, in moderation, I don't think it's much worse than Coca-cola or beer, and it might have some minor redeeming qualities that make up for its potential toxicity (for one, it's made with tea- but just straight tea with a bit of Stevia would beat it hands down).
There are definitely worse things that you could drink... Jägerbomb comes to mind

If you used the SCOBY on grape juice, and used an aerator, waiting for all of the sugars to be completely converted into acetic acid (not stopping at alcohol), and processing it much faster (so there's not such a buildup of potentially toxic antibiotics) you could have some pretty decent home-made balsamic vinegar on your hands.

I'd use that. But I'd probably want to pasteurize it before using it. (I'd eat the SCOBY too, but again, I'd cook it first).

Yes. I'm not supposed to have sugar, alcohol, or fermented foods.

But I do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

I tried it and found it disgusting. My doctor also told me not to drink it, so I don't.
My doctors have also given me drugs that have landed me in the hospital so, yeah, not taking much stock in what they say. I understand why people say not to drink it but it's not like I'm brewing this stuff in an old toilet...I sterilize everything so it's quite unlikely I will get a bad bug.

I dunno....I'm just trying something out here and am looking for people's own experiences.

Ryan

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I think Kombucha is delicious. I had a friend who made her own, and it was very, very good. I don't drink it regularly or anything, but sometimes when I go to the natural foods coop and am really thirsty, I get some.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:

Yes. I'm not supposed to have sugar, alcohol, or fermented foods.
Sugar and alcohol I understand. Just curious, though; why no fermented foods at all?

Quote:

My doctors have also given me drugs that have landed me in the hospital so, yeah, not taking much stock in what they say.
Definitely do your own research, particularly on nutrition (doctors are not nutritionists). Seeing a registered dietician could be a good idea too.

Quote:

I understand why people say not to drink it but it's not like I'm brewing this stuff in an old toilet...I sterilize everything so it's quite unlikely I will get a bad bug.
It's not the worry of getting a bacterium in it that wasn't supposed to be there- it's the fact of the kind of bacteria that are there and the substances they produce.

It's actually pretty unlikely that anything that wasn't part of the SCOBY will take hold (the SCOBY defends itself aggressively against other microbes with chemical weaponry- it is that chemical weaponry which may also be a little damaging to our own health).

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be very dangerous.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.