VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to make some slippers~ I NEEED them and will wear them out like nothing else, so I want to make a few pairs. Do I absolutely need a round needle? I only have the straight ones with a cap on the end (not the nice double needle ones)~ I need to get a new pair of needles, eh? :-S

Or I guess I could do them up and just sew a seam. Hmmmmm.... Thoughts? Patterns to reccommend? (the free-er, the better
)

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Have you checked out http://www.craftster.org ? They have a nice knitting section. People post what they've made so you get good pictures plus if it is a pattern they made up, they will usually post the directions. If not, they give credit to where they've gotten it and you end up having lots of good tutorials.

I haven't been knitting long so I'm not sure if I want to try doing socks or slippers. I'm still trying to get scarves down, and binding them off correctly.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Do you knit with wool? My favorite slipper patterns are those that are knitted in the round (with circulars or double pointed needles) in an extra big size and then felted (or shrunk) with hot water and agitation to a firm fabric in an appropriate size. This of course only works with animal fibers. I loved my fuzzy feet that I made.

You can knit socks/slippers flat, but of course there will be a seam. I know I've seen patterns before, but I can't seem to find them. My google fu is being hampered by some Friday night spirits. You can also crochet slippers, if you're handy with that.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought one skein of blue wool before I decided to go vegan, and I just want to use that up before buying any more yarn. I do prefer the acryllic stuff, though. I figured wool on my feet would wear it out faster (to get rid of the yarn productively, lol), and not be as scratchy, when worn over socks.

Looks like I'll be buying some round needles. At least I got the yarn rolled into a ball today, LOL.
I can start tomorrow, maybe.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Acrylic makes yucky socks (imho) because it doesn't breathe at all. If you want to use vegan fibers, you can make socks out of a cotton/nylon blend, or there are some very yummy fibers called soysilk (not real silk at all) that would probably be nice.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I suggest you buy the new needles. Theyre cheap second hand and all over charity shops. My double pointed ones were £2 for a set of 4 in a department store. You get them once youll be able to use them again and again for loads of projects, in my opinion its worth it. DPNs are fun you can make icords that go on for ages, just out of boredom. It takes a bit to master but you can knit round in them too, instead of using round needles.

ive never tried socks or anything though, just about mastered hats!

yo just came across this

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTsoxon2stix.html

Ive never heard of w&t but its on the list of abbreviations

·
Registered
34 Posts
Alright, I've only tryed this once, and to no avail, but in order to knit socks with straight needles + no seem you need 5 needles. You put four in a lincon-log style (with the loops on them) and use the fifth to knit in a circle. Is this making sense? Hope you can visualize this, otherwise I apologize. I'll try and find a website with a picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts