VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few things I finished recently:

1) Knit shawl (called Clapotis, from knitty.com). It took a long time to do, but I love how it turned out. It can be a shawl or a scarf, since it has a curl to it.

2) Crocheted hat and scarf, from Stitch and Btch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (there's supposed to be an i in the b word, but I don't think the filters will let it pass). Really easy to do, though not for the uber-cold. More for fall or early spring.
LL
LL

·
Registered
338 Posts
I crochet - am making a baby blanket right now. If I can remember to, I will take a photo of when done.

I am also making a Queen sized blanket. It is half done and I am tired of it, but one day I'll finish it.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
countrydreamer - Thanks.
crocheting is hard to get at first, but really easy once you learn the basics.

veggiemath - you should definitely post a picture when it's done.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
a couple of days ago i ordered the books stitch 'n ***** knitting and quick crochet: huge hooks. i was hoping to learn enough in time to make a few things for christmas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i just taught myself to knit like a week ago, and i'm working on satisfying my husbands urgings for a new hat. the pattern is on knitty, called "typhus." it's soooo easy and neat-looking too! his is blue and white, and i was thinking of making a pink and black one for myself.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

a couple of days ago i ordered the books stitch 'n ***** knitting and quick crochet: huge hooks. i was hoping to learn enough in time to make a few things for christmas.
how funny I saw this thread. One of my friends knits and my plan today was to go to Powell's books & pick up the stitch & ***** knitting book
and some needles & yarn... yay!

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
amy, i think you'll enjoy the book! i haven't gotten very far into the projects but the book is fun and the illustrations are pretty easy to follow. i like a lot of the projects that are in it, as well.

i know she has another stitch 'n ***** book out - i think it's stitch 'n ***** nation.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just finished crocheting my very own gothic baby blanket. It's purple and black, I'll have to post some pics if I ever find my cam....

Funny, this is the first project I've ever actually finished, and I've been crocheting for 5 years.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

amy, i think you'll enjoy the book! i haven't gotten very far into the projects but the book is fun and the illustrations are pretty easy to follow. i like a lot of the projects that are in it, as well.

i know she has another stitch 'n ***** book out - i think it's stitch 'n ***** nation.
thanks jenna. I bought the book, yarn, and needles today.

Knitting is harder than it looks!! But I think I have the hang of the basic knit stitch... a bit more practice, and I'll be on to purl!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I can only do a single crochet, and a double crochet, and make hats and scarves and cat toys. I guess I could make a blanket but it would take forever. I haven't been able to find a book that shows you more than 3 vague pictures then goes into secret code that I don't understand and my Nana refuses to teach me anymore. Woe is me. :p

Your stuff, however, is cool!

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
I have trouble following a pattern, when I crochet.

I can knit, and I even have a knitting maching, but all I have done on it so far are afgans. I think it would make great shrugs. I'll have to try it again.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I can only do a single crochet, and a double crochet, and make hats and scarves and cat toys. I guess I could make a blanket but it would take forever. I haven't been able to find a book that shows you more than 3 vague pictures then goes into secret code that I don't understand and my Nana refuses to teach me anymore. Woe is me. :p

Your stuff, however, is cool!
Thanks.

I had a really hard time before I bought the Happy Hooker book. It's great for learning or expanding on what you know, there are lots illustrations and descriptions, and you learn different stitches.

The best part of buying Stitch and ***** books, however, has got to be telling my mother the titles. I know a part of her wants to send me to my room for saying the b-word.
I already have The Happy Hooker and The Knitter's Handbook, so she's getting me Stitch and ***** Nation for Christmas.

Another good book is The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crochet.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but why would you put such a big effort into something you can pick up at a thrift store for like a buck?.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why would you put such a big effort into something you can pick up at a thrift store for like a buck?.
For me, it gives me somthing to do, keeps my hands busy if I have to sit still for a while. (mom of 2, when I get to sit down I feel less than productive, LOL)

It's also a sense of pride in what you can make with your own 2 hands. When making something for someone else, it is time and effort spent, not just money, and I personally enjoy recieving gifts like that, that people put such time and effort into. (the blankets that were handmade for my kids are the ones we still keep as they grow)

They can become heirlooms, passed on to our children's children. And that is just plain cool.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

It's hard to find stuff at thrift stores that both fits and looks good (and the blankets that make it to thrifts stores tend to be ugly, awful creations. I wouldn't even buy most of them to salvage the yarn). But actually, the main point is that crocheting and knitting is fun. Think of it as an art form. You're creating, you're choosing the pattern, the fibers, the colour, etc. You can also modify patterns to get exactly what you want.

Have you ever tried knitting or crocheting? Or did you make friendship bracelets as a teenager? There's just something wonderful about creating something on your own. It's also great for de-stressing, or if you like to have something to do with your hands while sitting, like bekajoi said. I'll sometimes just take out some yarn and a crochet hook and make circles, or hyperbolic plane models, to relax and have something to do while thinking.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Quote:

Because I like crafting and creating. I can't really go a day without working on something artsy. You can't get that sense of satisfaction by buying someone elses work.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts