VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First of all I LOVE to workout, I'm not very strong anywhere but my legs, but I've been trying to get overall body strength.

I never really thought this might a problem until recently, but when I work my legs my knees burn? It doesn't last very long, and it's only on some of the machines.

Any advice? Or am I just over thinking this?

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Shin splints perhaps?

Do you warm up your legs before you begin your workouts? If not, perhaps that's the problem. If it's not, perhaps you should mention this to your doctor.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Is it the knee or the muscles surrounding the knee?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's mostly the leg extension machine. Envy, it's more the sides of my knee, I'm not sure if that's my muscles or not. >.<'' Shin splints? I didn't know they could make my knees hurt, but I'll check it out.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlinann View Post

It's mostly the leg extension machine. Envy, it's more the sides of my knee, I'm not sure if that's my muscles or not. >.<'' Shin splints? I didn't know they could make my knees hurt, but I'll check it out.
I get a burning sensation too when I use some machines, but that's due to me using the muscle very much.

As a rule of thumb - if it's in the muscle, its good. If it's in the joint/ligament, it's bad.

And you don't get shin splints in the knee as far as I know.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
If it's in the sides of your knee, it might be tendonitis. I have that issue in my right knee. Is there any swelling at the point where it hurts? Is the pain in the joint itself, or in the tendons connecting to the joint?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I do a good amount of leg work between yoga, P90X and running and my knees often get sore. Not sure if it's the same problem but I makes sure to warm up and do plenty of stretches before, between and after workouts. I also let my knees rest completely (sometimes with and ice pack on them) for about an hour. My yoga instructor told me to keep doing squats daily to work on the muscles in the knee to strengthen them which could help in the future with soreness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts