VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I wanted to post about an episode of this show, and this forum seemed like the logical option.

Night before last, I was watching King of The Hill, and mother, Peggy, and the young neice, Luanne got involved in a cult posing as a college sorority. They 'brainwashed" the women by doing such things assleep deprivation, repetitios dronign of slogans/propaganda, and "depriving them of protein", specifically MEAT

Well, the ladies were all going to go get on a bus to be shipped off "to a ranch, for general enslavement", and Hank, the husband, got word of the foul plot through one of his friends. So he goes over to the campus, and tempts Luanne and Peggy over with a plate of steak, knowing they're hungry. At this point, they can't even remember their own names. But gee, as soon as they take a bite of steak, the brainwashing is negated, they remember their own names, and they want to go home. All of the other women getting on the bus are also given a bite or two of meat, with the same effect. Basically, the message is that meat is what lets you keep your wits intact, and without it, you'll forget who you are and everything.

Please note, I am not saying cults aren't a real danger, and I'm not sayingKing of The Hill is overall a "bad" show, but this misinformation really got me steamed!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Maybe this is just me, but I think that that episode is really funny AND I think that it is poking fun at the whole "beef is our religion here in Texas" sort of thing (especially because they make it look like Peggy and the others are taking Communion when they go and get the steak from Hank.

I never take these things too seriously. King of the Hill, The Simpson and such use almost everything as fair game. And, truthfully, it wouldn't surprise me if, at some point, they do a show where Peggy gives up meat in response to some veggie info.

In fact, I think that I'll send them that idea.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The entire show is a spoof on the south of the US. I've seen that episode too, and they're absolutely joking. If you look closely at the whole series, there's more than a little veg-type humour in it.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I agree with all above. The cult was funny in that it was vegetarian, bc vegetarianism was being equated with all of those other worse things, but the vegetarianism was the most upsetting to people in Texas.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I love that show! Funny you mention it because I've been on a KOTH marathon lately and have watched the first 40 episodes so far in the past couple weeks with the rest lined up to watch...

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
We have to know when to be able to laugh at ourselves. We can't take offense to everything. I personally thought it was funny. I agree with EquiPro. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the show later did something in favor of vegetarianism.

The Simpsons have definitely poked fun at vegetarians a time or two, but Lisa is an avid vegetarian and I think (not 100% sure) that the person that does Homer's voice is a veg.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised Erin. I once read that Matt Groening went vegetarian after talking to John Robbins, and immediately afterwards had Mr Robbins over to the studio to talk to the employees and that many went vegetarian afterwards.

Shortly after that was the Lisa Goes Vegetarian episode we all know about.

·
Registered
878 Posts
ya its good that more and more cartoon and well people on tv shows are going veg espcailly lizzie maguire (not that i watch the show
) and like tons and tons of younger girls look up to her !

but i always notice tv ppl goin veg which is so good !

btw

how the hell does lizzie get her hair so perfect ?!?!?!?!?!! there is not one frikin strand out of place !!
..... still dont watch it

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Yes, I'm bumping an old thread. I like KOTH also, and I try (very hard) to take it with a grain of salt. I also saw the episode in question and it did bum me out a little.

I did want to address the people who say "It's just a TV show, lighten up". I know TV influences people more than you think it does. I remember reading a Dear Abby column years ago (when it was the original and not her daughter writing the column). A mother had written in all anxious because her 8 year old son had seen the episode of The Simpsons in which Lisa became a vegetarian. Right away, her son decided he wanted to be a vegetarian also. I was a little surprised but pleased that Abby was positive about the subject; she recommended that the mother buy a couple of vegetarian cookbooks geared towards kids and learn to make some healthy, wholesome vegetarian recipes that her son would like.

So, even if KOTH is animated and it's a comedy and we're supposed to just laugh and not take it seriously, I'm convinced that there are plenty of people out there who do. I'm willing to bet that there were meat-eaters who saw that episode and who were convinced by it that meat-eating was the way to go and had a good laugh at the expense of vegetarians. I think that episode did some damage to the vegetarian community by portraying them in such a negative light.

My two cents.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I believe The Simpsons being so almighty popular has strong influence Amy SF, which as you've proved can work either way, depending on what the bias of the characters and what the script has for them to say (whether ridiculous or not)

Anyway, yep, and as an aside from a cartoon per'se perspective or incredulous point of incredibility, we can of course take it in fun, I mean we can still have fun watching what we know is trite, even if it comes off as real to some people. We with any discerning bone in our veg bodies know whats being said on whichever bias or ridicularity and knowing how it confirms in people wrongly who think of nothing but meat, but when you flip that and get Lisa turning veg its all good and can influence the same so lets not get too worked up, even though there is a misleading message in some episodes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts