VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allow me to tell my story.

I am 17 and a relatively new vegetarian (about 8 months now) and just wanted to tell people my motives.
Many people in my family, in fact everyone, thinks I'm a different species now. Dad hates it, total meat eater, which is part of the reason I decided to become a vegetarian. I made the decision after being made to eat red meat my entire life. If I didn't eat it, I would have to for breakfast. It was so gross. And I've never liked it anyway. I began stopping to eat it as I reached the age of 16, deciding that I was old enough to make my own decisions about what I should eat. I did a photography assignment that pretty much focused on my aversion to meat, centering around my dads forcefulness and my frustration. I think this was the first time I had looked in depth into the situation. Around the same time, I met a guy who had extremely similar views to me about meat so we decided to do it together. It was surprisingly easy. I like the taste of chicken, which is the only thing I miss, but after 8 months, I couldn't even bring myself to lick it, no matter how much I liked it. Quorn products will do. Yum
I dont eat fish either, surprisingly enough, growing up in a family that used to go fishing every weekend.

Sorry for the huge blog-type novel. If anyone made it to the end without getting bored, thanks for reading and I'm super excited to hear about all of your stories.

Ps. What are your motivations and what do you hope to achieve by being vegetarian/vegan

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hello,

Nice to see someone from DU. I am a member of another forum where there are people from Du so I have to got to learn about your way of life.

Your story is very interesting and it seems that having been forced to eat meat has motivated you to becoming a Veg/Vegan.

I was also bought up (like most people) to have meat for dinner except for on Friday's where it was cod fish.

I have always like the taste of meat but also liked to experiment with vegetarian style cooking. I than become aware of cruelty to animals and animal farming and that is how I got onto the track of eating meatless meals. I have to admit that I do miss the taste or roast chicken and rib-eye steak but havn't yet been tempted to stray.

I also love Vegan meals ( Vegan chili and cornbread is my favourite) but for the time being it seems far too drastic and difficult to become a Vegan. Where I live, people think you're a freak if you say you're a Vegetarian and most probably don't know what a Vegan is, LOL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I am, or was in a similar boat. My family was carnivorous however they have lessened their meat consumption due to all of the negative health effects it has. I am glad for my mother has/had bad cholesterol. My reason for not eating animal products, in as much as possible avoiding consumption or use, is mostly due to manner in which mass productions treats most animals. Just in case, I came upon this realization pretty quick and was not informed on how to do it properly, still learning
.. However, I had to follow in the negative consequences of an unhealthy diet, which is much improved now. Remember to be patient with your father, a saying that I like is similar to " coming up with an innovative idea is not as hard or progressive as it is of letting go of old ones" .. sorry to say I do not recall who said it ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts