VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all!<br><br><br><br>
i am wondering what other vegan parents do when their kids get fevers.<br><br><br><br>
my son started feeling bad this afternoon around 1pm and i took his temperature. it was at 101 degrees F. an hour later, 102 degrees F. and hour after that, 103 degrees F. and i just took it again now, and he's at 103.8 degrees F.<br><br><br><br>
i know that tylenol and the likes aren't considered vegan but i just gave him some now because he is becoming quite uncomfortable.<br><br><br><br>
is there an alternative?<br><br><br><br>
if he is still hot later on i think we'll take him to a doctor....<br><br><br><br>
sigh.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
We're in the same boat tonight, Kreeli......<br><br><br><br>
My four year olds fever shot up this afternoon and he was too miserable to sleep this evening, so I gave him generic tylenol (I think the generic versions are usually one step away from the baddies who test and stuff, or at least in theory....)<br><br><br><br>
I avoid taking medicine myself unless I'm at death's door, but I can't watch my kids suffer, so I usually give them medicine if it really appears they are suffering.<br><br><br><br>
I'll make sure he drinks OJ with extra C and Zince tomorrow, since he has a stuffy nose and it seems to be a head cold type bug, and keep him sipping Echinacea Tea over the next few days. I'll also dose up his sister with vitamins and echinacea in hopes that this thing will pass her by.<br><br><br><br>
I hope your little one feels better very soon!!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I am 100% by the book with my kids and meds. I do what the pediatrician says, generally. I would never risk their life over what might be in a medication. If they have a mild fever, but seem comfortable...I give nothing (but sympathy.) If they begin to suffer, I give them tylenol. If they need antibiotics, that is what they get.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
My lil sister Sharon is sick today. Started yesterday afternoon, and I think she's thrown up five or six times between now and 4pm yesterday. Her energy level is down so much that she just wants to lay down on the floor next to the toilet or on the couch with a bucket. She didn't eat any breakfast, and the apple she did eat last night came back up. My parents don't believe in medications unless absolutely necessary, so unless Sharon's sick for a long time or throwing up non-normal-looking-vomit, they'll just try to keep her comfortable and clean.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I hate feeling nausea, myself...but it doesn't seem to bother some of my children (they sleep right through it) but one son, is just like me...he moans and cries and really suffers. My pediatrician gave him some suppositories and they took all of his discomfort away.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would give store brand acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) if he's so uncomfortable he's having trouble sleeping. Otherwise, it's best to just let the fever run its course.<br><br><br><br>
Peace,<br><br>
Maggie

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
When my oldest was about 2, she developed a fever with no other symptoms. Tylenol was not helping. I was on the phone with the pediatrician many times during the evening and her fever got so high, that he finally said "Put her in a cool tub of water, right now." I did, and her fever went down.<br><br>
Maybe, you could ask your pediatrician about doing something like that? (Although, she really hated it!)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah i was gonna say, i don't have kids myself but i've read and heard that the best way to bring down a fever is to cool the person off with a cold cloth or ice pack on the forehead or a cool bath, and of course give them lots of water and juice to drink

·
Registered
0 Posts
Did you see those things out now they're called cool strips or something like that? I saw a commercial for them. A cold wash cloth always made me feel better. Problem is they don't stay cold for too long. The cool strips are supposed to though.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Ruthie,<br><br>
No, I hadn't heard about those cool strips yet. I agree that a cold washcloth gets warm altogether too quickly, but I wonder what's in these cool strips that keeps them cold. Is it something potentially harmful?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, even with the tylenol, his fever never went below 102 last night.<br><br><br><br>
this morning he was in even worse shape (we didn't sleep much); he was shaking and dizzy and said his head hurt really badly, so i took him in to the doctor.<br><br><br><br>
it turns out he has tonsilitus and must stay in bed for at least three days and take a ten day course of antibiotics.<br><br><br><br>
i'm exhausted and run off my feet going up and down the stairs and worrying for him. but at least we know what it is and how to treat it.<br><br><br><br>
thank you for your advice and ideas.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm sorry your little one is still sick....<br><br>
My little boy woke up much better this morning.<br><br><br><br>
Hope your baby feels much better really soon!!!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
aw that's awful for him to go through so young. he doesn't need his tonsils removed though right? after he gets better though he'll be more likely to get it again, i think it tends to be a recurring illness in kids, like ear infections. i wonder what safe natural ways there are to keep a young kid's immune system healthy

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
"What is Tonsillitis?<br><br><br><br>
Tonsillitis (ton-sil-lie-tiss) is an inflammation of the tonsils caused by an infection. In tonsillitis, the tonsils are enlarged, red, and often coated (either partly or entirely) by a substance that is yellow, gray, or white. Tonsillitis usually occurs as part of a pharyngitis (throat infection). Tonsilitis usually begins with sudden sore throat and painful swallowing.<br><br><br><br>
Sometimes, tonsillitis reoccurs, and may cause difficulty breathing. If this occurs, your doctor may recommend taking them out. This procedure of removing tonsils from the throat is called a tonsillectomy.<br><br><br><br>
What are Tonsils?<br><br><br><br>
The tonsils are fleshy clusters of tissue that lie in bands on both sides of the back of the throat, above and behind the tongue. The tonsils' major function is to catch incoming germs before the germs cause infections in the throat, mouth, or sinuses. Tonsils contain infection-fighting cells and antibodies that stop the spread of the germs further into the body.<br><br><br><br>
What are the symptoms?<br><br><br><br>
Each person with tonsillitis may not experience all of the symptoms. Some of the major symptoms are: a very sore throat, fever, redder-than-normal tonsils, chills, a yellow or white coating on the tonsils, a funny-sounding voice, swollen glands in the neck, and bad breath<br><br><br><br>
How is tonsillitis diagnosed?<br><br><br><br>
Tonsillitis can be diagnosed by performing a rapid strep test, also called a throat culture. To perform the throat culture, the doctor will use a long cotton swab to swipe off some of the stuff on the surface of the back of your throat. The doctor will then test the "stuff" on the cotton swab. This test will determine whether you have tonsillitis and whether it is caused by a bacteria or a virus.<br><br><br><br>
Is Tonsillitis Contagious?<br><br><br><br>
Yes. Tonsillitis usually spreads from person to person by contact with the throat or nasal fluids of someone who is already infected.<br><br><br><br>
How Is Tonsillitis Treated?<br><br><br><br>
Treatment for tonsillitis depends on whether it was caused by a virus or bacteria. If the tonsillitis was caused by strep bacteria (streptococci), the doctor will prescribe antibiotics. If the tonsillitis was caused by a virus, your body will fight off the infection on its own. However, medication can be prescribed to alleviate the symptoms.<br><br>
How long does Tonsillitis Last?<br><br><br><br>
If tonsillitis is caused by bacteria, with antibiotic treatment, the illness is usually cured within 1 week. However, it may take several weeks for the tonsils and swollen glands to return to normal size.<br><br><br><br>
When tonsillitis is caused by viruses, the length of illness depends on which virus is involved. Usually, people are almost completely recovered within 1 week."<br><br><br><br>
I hope your little one feels better soon, Kreeli.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts