VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched from vegetarian to Vegan a few months ago and my 5 year old hates every thing I cook. I recently just broke down and bought some cheese to make grilled cheese sandwhiches so she would eat something. For her lunchbox at camp I would make her Fresh guac and black bean dip,hummus and crackers, black bean and toffutti bagels and she hates it all and refuses to eat. My biggest problem is she only wants spaghetti, mac and cheese, pizza,cheese nachos and all the cheese centered meals that her other friends have. I finally talked her into a sprinkle of fairy seeds(flax seeds) on her toffutti bagel, (she will eat a plain tofutti cream cheese bagel), by telling her that fairy seeds will give her special kind caring powers and will make her eyes sparkly. Any ideas for fun kids foods or ideas for ways to get her excited about eating her new animal friendly diet?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great question!I'm afraid I cant help you much since I have a 3 year old boy who everyday only wants peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and spaghetti.Not much of a variety of foods.My 6 year old daughter went thru this when she was younger too but now she eats pretty much what I make,finally!She loves salads and beans.

My advice would be not to worry so much.I have never seen or read about a child starving to death by her own will.I would just feed her what you eat,but dont say anything like"its good for you"

I'm sure she wont make a big deal about the food if you dont.That stradegy(sp?)worked with my daughter,now I'm doing it with my son.Some days just recently,he's taking a liking for bean burritos.He hates cheese though.

I hope this has helped you some

VM

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some fun food ideas:

Veg cream cheese and jelly sandwiches

Whole grain pancakes or french toast (kids love eating "breakfast" for dinner)

Spaghetti (WW if possible) with tomato sauce

Apples and crackers with peanut butter

Cinnamon bread/rolls (best to make your own with WW flour)

"Chicken" nuggets with ketchup or barbecue sauce (try

Health is Wealth Chicken-Free Fingers, these are the best)

Twice-baked potatoes made with veg sour cream, chives, and Earth Balance

Soy dogs and veggie burgers

If your daughter is really craving cheese, you might try Vegan Gourmet cheese (www.imearthkind.com). It is expensive but very good and meltable. Great for pizzas, nachos, mac n cheese, etc.

EDIT:

Just saw in your profile that you are from Michigan. Here are two health food stores that carry Vegan Gourmet cheese so you don't have to pay high shipping:

The Better Health Store

305 N. Clippert St.

Lansing, MI. 48912

(517) 332-6892

Rogers Natural Foods

600 E. Main

Edmore, MI 48829

(989)427-0014

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just had an idea, but I really have no clue if it works. If you make something good (healthy) and she asks you what it is you say "it's not for you, it for mommy" and then she will probably get interested. Then she might ask if she can try some and you again say "it's not for you sweety" and then you pretend you "lose the battle", give in and have her try some. She might like it just for the fact that it's "not for her". Might work. Good luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
try taking her grocery shopping with you. my daughter and i do this every week. she makes her own list and pushes her own kiddy cart. i allow her to get 5 healthy things and one not so healthy thing. the only catch for her is that one of 5 healthy things has to be something new, that she's never tried before. this has added many new things to our weekly grocery list

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ooh, I like the sound of that, thanks. The reverse psychology bit works too, except my daughter is bright enough to finally catch on to what it is I'm trying to do. But it definately worked for the past three years, I wish I would have started veganism then, it would be so much easier now for her. My son is two and he loves vegan food, girls are so much pickier than boys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts