VeggieBoards banner

KFC Invites America to Give Colonel Sanders a U.S. Stamp of Approval

2K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  froggythefrog 
#1 ·
Quote:
Hollywood legends, American superheroes and Hall of Fame inductees grace U.S. postage stamps and now, Kentucky Fried Chicken has petitioned the United States Postal Service to add its legendary founder, Colonel Harland Sanders, to that elite group. To help make its case, KFC is asking for America's stamp of approval.

Starting today, chicken lovers nationwide can visit http://www.kfc.com/ to sign an online petition asking the U.S.P.S. to honor Colonel Sanders, an American entrepreneurial icon, with his own stamp.
Full story...

http://sev.prnewswire.com/restaurant...8102006-1.html

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat*star View Post

Ok, I am from Australia so I am not sure about this, but wasn't Kernal Sanders conected with the KKK? So why the heck would they want to glorify him anyhow?
LOL!!! (I just realized there's no laughing smilie! Gah!) Apparently it's an urban legend, but then again, after reading this paragraph in an article, I sort of wonder. :p

"We're tired of Yankees and Left Coast liberals with a prejudice against Southerners trying to defame the colonel," said Colonel Foote. "The colonel would no more have tolerated cruelty to chickens than he would have included the KKK in his will."

Next we'll have Ringling Bros. and Ted Nugent stamps.

#17 ·
Of course it is. But what do we want the government to advertise? Fried Chicken and a lecherous "Kentucky Colonel" = warm homey nostalgia?

And if the government shouldn't advertise anything commercial, what should it put on its stamps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

I can't think of many things that go on stamps for which there are not interests that benefit from the publicity created by the stamp. If the audobon society gets a bird on a stamp, is that just a government sponsored advertising campaign?

#18 ·
Quote:
if the government shouldn't advertise anything commercial, what should it put on its stamps?
Animals, plant species, nature scenery, architecture, designs...

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Of course it is. But what do we want the government to advertise? Fried Chicken and a lecherous "Kentucky Colonel" = warm homey nostalgia?
Maybe since different values are embraced by different Americans, the USPS should honor a variety of values in its stamps.

I am sure many of us (read Americans) would like to see the Colonel on a stamp.

#22 ·
He did have a significant impact on the philosophy of franchising (not as much as Ray Kroc of course), and is studied in business in regard to his marketing approach (keeping the recipe secret, and traveling around as a spokesman). And, he was an oft-failed businessman who "made it" in retirement.

Chicken death aside, of course.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Maybe since different values are embraced by different Americans, the USPS should honor a variety of values in its stamps.
O.k. but for something controversial, there will be debate (which is fine). And the more powerful group will tend to get its way over the less powerful group. What values will be honored? Or the USPS can just go with more noncontroversial designs as mentioned before. I personally think they should take this route.

Quote:
I am sure many of us (read Americans) would like to see the Colonel on a stamp.
I am sure many would not like to see the Colonel on a stamp, for a variety of reasons.

#24 ·
Quote:
Starting today, chicken lovers nationwide can visit http://www.kfc.com/ to sign an online petition asking the U.S.P.S. to honor Colonel Sanders, an American entrepreneurial icon, with his own stamp.
I signed the petition. It asks for your first name and last name, and then you hit "submit" and it says "Thank you for signing our petition!"

So then I signed it 57 more times using fake names.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.