·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PETA and KFC controversy

KFC announce industry-breaking guidelines for suppliers

MSNBC.com - May 1

http://www.msnbc.com/news/908654.asp?cp1=1

The marketplace has caught up to PETA founder, Ingrid Newkirk, once a lone voice speaking out against animal cruelty.

Quote:
ACCORDING TO Joy Mench, at the University of California, Davis Department of Animal Science and Center for Animal Welfare, During the last few decades there has been increasing public concern about the ways in which food animals are raised, transported and slaughtered.

Higher levels of awareness and efforts by McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys and Kentucky Fried Chicken to form animal welfare advisory groups have often not been enough for PETA.

Its most recent campaign against KFC, launched in January 2003, has gotten much attention because of PETAs usual extreme antics. Its main image: an ad showing Col. Sanders spattered in blood, clutching a terrified chicken in one hand and a bloody butcher knife in the other, saying Kentucky Fried CrueltyWe Do Chickens Wrong.

Its main celebrity target? Jason Alexander, a recent face of KFC in TV ads. PETA threatened to demonstrate at the Los Angeles premiere of The Producers which stars Alexander unless he lobbied on their behalf.

Newkirk told MSNBCs Pat Buchanan and Bill Press that she met with Alexander on Tuesday, and that he appeared sympathetic to the cause. He wasnt unlike some clothing endorsers who later realize that the companies they sponsor condone sweat shops, Newkirk said. According to Newkirk, Alexander raised the issues with KFC.

Of course, it is difficult to refuse cooperation with PETAs massive PR machine in full swing, from boycotting KFC restaurants across the country, to various demonstrations.

To make their case, PETA has produced evidence that current conditions at poultry farms are unnecessarily cruel-such as confining birds in cramped quarters and forcing rapid growth.

Chickens feel no less pain than a dog or cat, PETA spokesperson Bruce Friedrich said.

Buchanan agreed in principle, if not fully endorsing PETA, that there appeared to be gratuitous cruelty in the industry.

In response, KFC announced Thursday, May 1st, that they were adopting comprehensive industry-breaking guidelines for the humane raising and handling of poultry. The KFC guidelines attempt to address PETAs main problems with poultry breeding, hatching and raising. Though KFC does not itself participate in these activities, it purchases chickens from 18 different suppliers.

They have control over this, since they control the purse strings, Newkirk said.

Whether PETA now backs off from the anti-KFC campaign remains to be seen.
However, PETA says KFC's press release was missleading and believes KFC has not taken any steps to improve the raising and handling of their poultry. For more information, visit http://www.kfccruelty.com/index-nr.html

·
Registered
0 Posts
I copied some of the stuff so you chicken eaters can see how much you are hurting animals.

Our Key Demands ( Not One OF Which Has Been Addressed)

Replace electrical stunning and throat-slicing with gas killing. Experts agree that gas killing causes less suffering for birds than KFC's present method of snapping chickens' legs into metal shackles and slicing their throats open, Often while still conscious.

Install cameras in slaughter houses to enforce humane standards. Cameras should be installed at key points for animal handling, including unloading

areas, the point of entry into the ''stun'' bath, the point of entry into the scalding tank, and places where chickens have their throats slit.

Switch to mechanized chicken gathering. Studies have shown that when using manual methods, there are four times as many broken legs,more than eight times as much bruising, and increased stress.

Use genetic selection for leaner breeding birds.

Breed leaner, healthier birds instead of breeding the biggest, fattest birds possible.

Stop forcing rapid growth and using

growth-promotion substances. These practices result in more metabolic disorders, painful chronic lameness, and higher mortality rate.

Give chickens at least 1.5 square feet per bird, and give breeding flocks at least 4 square feet per bird.

Include sheltered areas and perches in chickenhouses. This would enhancethe birds'living space, reducing their stress and aggression, and allow them to engage in some of their natural behaviors.

Allow birds the opportunity to fullfil their natural desire for activity. Provide the birds with whole green cabbages to peck at and eat. The cabbages stimulate healthy activity, dispel boredom, and provide nutrients without adding to the weight problems of the birds.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It really gets me upset how people know what they are doing to animals and they are just sitting there reading about it and eating chickens etc....

·
Registered
0 Posts
oh my goddddddddd. I am so sad about chickens. I have read about the method of killing them but I didn't quite hit me as hard as it did now, even though I had cried before about it.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I have said this to a lot of omnis, and they rae surprised to hear it, but chicken is the last meat that I would eat. (Supposing i had a gun to my head) They're quite surprised, as chicken is often the last meat that people phase out when they go vegetarian, and is seen as a lesser sin than eating beef. But I explain to them and they see why chicken production is bad:

Feeding ratios: A chicken is small. A single chicken can feed about two people. A cow, being larger can feed many more. Therefore, it would be better to kill the cow for food, as less lives are taken to feed more people.

Slaughterhouse: I've seen a few slaughterhouse videos, and the chicken ones are some of the worst I've seen. I won't describe what I've seen in case any of you are eating noodles in front of the cmputer, and you don't want them on the keyboard, but believe me, it's bad.

Debeaking: Ouch.

Battery farms: A thousand chickens can be fit into the smallest of space, in the most squalid of conditions. Pretty awful.

To be honest, I think that of all the animals we unnecessarily kill, chickens have it the worst.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
veggied, im not sure how you equated what i said with your response, but i do think it un-reasonable to require the chickens be gassed to death, i think humans already put to much chemicals in their bodies, and no matter how safe you tell me the gas is, if my veggies went thru a gas chamber to get to my plate im not going to eat them, hell its all i can do to eat pesticide laden food. Do i think these animals should be killed humanely, if they are to be killed? yes, but im sure there are other ways to do it that don't require ingestion, injection, or inhalation of toxic chemicals.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
majake, I know what you're saying, and I had the same thought when I first saw "gas killing". But if you read the PETA site they have a lot of documentation that shows that gas killing is not only incredibly more humane but also produces healthier meat. See the full report here: http://www.kfccruelty.com/cemsgaskillmemo.html

However, I'll send an email to the author of that report asking for more details about the effects of the chemicals on the meat and it's subsequent effect on those who eat that meat (such as my kitty cat, and my mom). Here's what I wrote:

Quote:
To: CemA @ peta-online.org

Hi, I read your report on kfccruelty.com and several of us on the animal rights message board www.veggieboards.com had ethical questions about the use of even more chemicals in the meat industry. We understand that gas killing is much more humane, but we're worried about adding more chemicals to the meat that people (and companion animals) are eating. Can you help clarify for us the effects of the chemical absorption that takes place as a result of gas killing. Thank you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Veggied

Well it's not like their eating the gass, There just smelling it, I hope.
You're not serious are you? Either way it's still bad news. Whether the chickens are eating it or smelling it, the gas is still being ingested.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts