VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
25,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Does anyone else feel vocally she is the best singer in popular music today?
The weirdest thing happened. I could say 'no' without even clicking on any of the links or knowing that much about her.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

The weirdest thing happened. I could say 'no' without even clicking on any of the links or knowing that much about her.
Who do you consider better then? Some would argue Carrie Underwood and you could possibly argue Joss Stone. Alicia Keys, Adele, and Mary J. Blige all have good voices as well. I don't see too many others as competition.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
25,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Who do you consider better then? Some would argue Carrie Underwood and you could possibly argue Joss Stone. Alicia Keys, Adele, and Mary J. Blige all have good voices as well. I don't see too many others as competition.
That seems like a reeeeeeeaaaaaalllly narrowly delienated list of female singers you're picking from.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Who do you consider better then? Some would argue Carrie Underwood and you could possibly argue Joss Stone. Alicia Keys, Adele, and Mary J. Blige all have good voices as well. I don't see too many others as competition.
Beth Hart, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Florence and the Machine, Imogen Heap, Bjork
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

Beth Hart, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Florence and the Machine, Imogen Heap, Bjork
I've heard a lot of good things about Bjork but I haven't heard much from her. I'll have to listen to her soon. Fiona is a decent vocalist but nothing special to me.

What I like most about Kelly is she can go into almost any era and you could imagine her succeeding. She's very diverse. She could do pop standards, pop, blues, and country. I can't say that for most other great vocalists.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,163 Posts
Kelly Clarkson is definitely talented, but she never made a big impression on me. I don't really have a favorite singer because I like a lot of different kinds of music. I do really like Marina from Marina and the Diamonds though. I like her album version better, (I'm not a big fan of live performances.) but I posted that first link just to prove that she can sing live.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
I suppose I'm more about content. I prefer musicians that create their own music, rather than a huge voice singing mega pop songs. To each his/her own though, for sure.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
25,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Fiona is a decent vocalist but nothing special to me.
Well if your standards for good vocalists are based on Alicia Keys and Carrie Underwood then yeah, certainly.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
I like Kelly Clarkson, I have her first album on CD. She's great to listen to when I'm angry. While there are other female singers whose work I prefer, I will listen to Kelly every now and then and enjoy her music.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

I suppose I'm more about content. I prefer musicians that create their own music, rather than a huge voice singing mega pop songs. To each his/her own though, for sure.
^This. I am way more impressed with an artist who actually writes their own music. I like to have some sort of emotional connection to music. I want to listen to a song and be able to relate to it in some way and know that those feelings and thoughts actually came from the musician singing them. I have so much respect for musicians that can pour out their intense emotions into lyrics and to be able to hear that pain, anger, joy, etc in their voices as they sing those lyrics....amazing.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

That seems like a reeeeeeeaaaaaalllly narrowly delienated list of female singers you're picking from.
You have singers like Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Rhianna, Britney. Not very good vocally. I consider Christina Aguilera and Beyonce as vastly overrated. I'm not a big fan of the male voice so I don't listen to too many male singers. A lot of mediocrity among singers so there's only a few standouts IMO.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top