VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone thinks it is wrong to keep some pets like fish or guinnie pigs because they are caged up. I feel bad for my sisters fish because it has not very much room to swim around in the small bowl of water. And I wanted a pet guinnie pig but dont want it to feel caged in. I would let it crawl around the house if it wouldnt poop everywhere. Also I have a dog who would attack it. But I guess having them as pets is better then letting them run wild or sitting in the store where they dont get the best care. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I have guinea pig experience, so that's the only thing I can respond to, LC, but there are a lot of piggies out there that need homes.

Buying from a petstore supports the pet industry, and I prefer not to do that, but there are guinea pig rescues that have wonderful little pigs that need to be adopted.

The cage is for the safety of the guinea pig. There are a lot of hazards in a human home, and a cage protects the piggies from those sorts of things.

I'm not recommending those tiny cages they sell in the petstores, mind. http://cavycages.com has a lot of recommendations on proper cage size and bedding.

Unfortunately, since my dear little piggie Mika passed away I've not looked into adopting another, but they are sweet little friends to have around. Especially when they learn which drawer in the 'fridge contains their lettuce and they start wheeking every time you open it! *g*

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've seen guinea pigs at our local shelter from time to time, as well. I also think that buying pigs (or any other animals) from a pet store just feeds the industry.

As for fish, I think that if you really wanted them that there are plenty of people who advertise in the newspapers that they have aquariums to give away. Usually it's because they've gotten sick of maintaining them. I wouldn't be surprised if putting a "Wanted" ad in a paper would get you a response and fish that would otherwise be flushed down the toilet by someone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts