VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently cooking a large pot of chickpeas, and want to keep half of it in the fridge for a few days but I was wondering do I need to keep them in water to stop them from drying out?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I don't store mine in water...as long as they are in a good airtight container, they should be fine without the water. Then, again, I don't think putting them in water would hurt either. Sorry, not much help I guess. Just that mine are fine without the water!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I keep them in the water in case I want to use some of the water in a recipe. I don't know if it keeps them fresher or stops them from drying out or anything.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
There's usually a little "broth" left from cooking that I don't drain out, but I don't cover mine with extra water, it seems to dilute the flavor.

As noted above, I just store the extras in a sealed plastic container and they're just fine.

They also freeze perfectly. To freeze, I drain them well, put in a Ziploc Freezer bag and throw in the freezer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I recommend freezing. You don't want to be anywhere near a container of chickpeas that has gone bad and it's easy to forget them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I never put them in water, I just put them into a sealed tupperware container and they last fine. They also freeze well, although I've found that they soften a bit after thawing (ie. I'd use them in cooked dishes, but wouldn't toss them straight onto a salad).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts