VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems every time I go to get a banana, it's rotten. Am I just cursed, or am I doing something wrong?

I usually keep them in the pantry, but they get brown quickly.

Last week I put them in the fridge. Huge mistake, 2 days later they were piles of black mush!

Is there a secret to keeping your bananas fresh all week? I have also tried buying the ones that are still green, but still, after only 3-4 days, the brown spots appear.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I keep mine on the counter and they seem to ripen slowly that way. Could your pantry be a little bit warmer than your counter space? I buy a lot of bananas and I usually eat them frozen. When they start to be a little over ripe I peel them, cut in half and put them on a stick to freeze. My favorite way to eat them is with peanut butter.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post

Are you keeping them near apples or in a plastic bag?
I don't usually keep them near the apples (I usually keep those in the fridge,) but I do often leave them in a plastic produce bag.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

I keep mine on the counter and they seem to ripen slowly that way. Could your pantry be a little bit warmer than your counter space? I buy a lot of bananas and I usually eat them frozen. When they start to be a little over ripe I peel them, cut in half and put them on a stick to freeze. My favorite way to eat them is with peanut butter.
The pantry is usually a bit colder since the door is usually kept shut, and there's no vent inside.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If you buy some ripe bananas for eating now and some green bananas for eating in a few days, keep them separate otherwise the gases from the ripe bananas will ripen the green bananas.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Keeping bananas in a cool dark place can slow the ripening process a little, but I think a banana's gotta do what a banana's gotta do and you're just going to have to come to terms with it. I believe bananas give off a gas that can cause other things to ripen more quickly, so I wonder if storing bananas separately wouldn't slow things down? Dunno.

Or you could buy less bananas more often.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My strategy is

1. Buy too many bananas

2. Forget to eat bananas

3. Freeze overly brown bananas

4. Defrost bananas

5. Make banana bread

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post

My strategy is

1. Buy too many bananas

2. Forget to eat bananas

3. Freeze overly brown bananas

4. Defrost bananas

5. Make banana bread
LOL, I wish that forgetting to eat my bananas was the problem. At least then there would be logic to my always brown banana tragedy.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelicGrape View Post

I don't usually keep them near the apples (I usually keep those in the fridge,) but I do often leave them in a plastic produce bag.
That could be your problem. The plastic will trap the gases that cause ripening and speed the ripening process.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Take them out of the plastic. Some people use those banana tree things where they hang them. I don't. I usually keep them on the counter, but I had a fruit fly infestation a few weeks ago, so it all goes in the fridge now.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

That could be your problem. The plastic will trap the gases that cause ripening and speed the ripening process.
Yep, that's why I asked. They tend to blacken and go moldy more quickly if they're still bagged, with all the moisture and ethylene trapped in there. I usually buy them green when my supply of bananas is down to one or two, so they'll be ready to eat when the last one's gone and I don't buy too many at once. I don't particularly like them when they're very ripe and the starch has been converted to sugar.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
My banana-related pet peeve is when I buy bananas that are mostly green but JUST starting to turn yellow and leave them out on the counter, with the expectation that they'll be ripe enough to eat in a few days. Except they never actually ripen.
They just get hard, and stay partly green, and get partly black.
My mom says it's because they're frozen before they're put out for sale.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post

Yep, that's why I asked. They tend to blacken and go moldy more quickly if they're still bagged, with all the moisture and ethylene trapped in there. I usually buy them green when my supply of bananas is down to one or two, so they'll be ready to eat when the last one's gone and I don't buy too many at once. I don't particularly like them when they're very ripe and the starch has been converted to sugar.
I like them the same way - not so green that they are too starchy, but not so yellow that they are starting to get spotty. My bf thinks they are underripe when I eat them, he likes them with lots of spots. So it works out quite nicely: by the time they are too ripe for me, they are just right for him.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Take them out of the plastic. Some people use those banana tree things where they hang them. I don't. I usually keep them on the counter, but I had a fruit fly infestation a few weeks ago, so it all goes in the fridge now.
I hate flies! My parents live near a bunch of pear trees, so keeping them out of the house in the summer is a task.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

So the plastic is to blame?! I'll try leaving them out of the bag and on the counter next week.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yep, leave them out of the bag. That's what I do. I keep them on the counter (there is no window in there) and they seem to last a little while. I buy them when they're still partly green, but only four or so at a time. Safeway's right across the street, so I can run over and grab a banana anytime. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwing View Post

Yep, leave them out of the bag. That's what I do. I keep them on the counter (there is no window in there) and they seem to last a little while. I buy them when they're still partly green, but only four or so at a time. Safeway's right across the street, so I can run over and grab a banana anytime. Good luck!
I was thinking about switching to organic bananas, they're a little more expensive, but maybe they'll hold longer.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelicGrape View Post

I was thinking about switching to organic bananas, they're a little more expensive, but maybe they'll hold longer.
If anything, I've found that organic bananas ripen faster. Or maybe I'm just nuts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts