VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-...healthy-living

Quote:
When I think about the effect of animal products on human health, I'm reminded of how quickly we've done a national about face on tobacco, and I look forward to the day when the Times magazine has a similar apology from someone who promoted animal products -- because the evidence is in and it continues to grow: Animal products kill a lot more Americans than tobacco does.

The West's three biggest killers -- heart disease, cancer, and stroke -- are linked to excessive animal product consumption, and vegetarians have much lower risks of all three. Vegetarians also have a fraction of the obesity and diabetes rates of the general population -- of course, both diseases are at epidemic levels and are only getting worse.

But much more important than the vegetarian community's general statistics are what can be done with the right vegetarian diet: For some years now, doctors have been not just preventing, but even reversing, heart disease using a low-fat vegetarian diet.

That's right -- the disease that kills almost as many Americans as everything else combined can be not just prevented, but reversed, with a low fat plant-based diet, as documented by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn in Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.

There's a link from animal product consumption to our country's No. 2 killer, too: According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, about as much cancer could be prevented by diet and exercise as is caused by smoking -- and you know what's causing all that cancer? It's not whole grains, legumes, fruits, or vegetables. Dr. T. Colin Campbell has documented the link between cancer and animal products.

There's a lot of money in the meat industry, just like there's a lot of money in big tobacco. For many years, the tobacco establishment pointed to elderly smokers like George Burns and millions of others as proof that their very-natural product could not be harmful. Even long-distance runners and members of the military could be found smoking a cigarette at the end of a long run or intense drill.

Similarly, today the meat industry points to the fact that there are an awful lot of old meat-eaters, conveniently ignoring our sky-high heart disease and cancer rates, as well as our ballooning rates of obesity and diabetes, all of which are linked to their products.
I hope Kathy is right and one day we can look back on our former ancestors who ate factory farmed animals and think that they must have been crazy.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
8 months after reading both the China Study and Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and taking their message to heart, I'm a believer. I doubt anything I've done or will do has/will have such an impact on my health as going to a low-fat whole food plant based diet has done. I miss nothing in my old diet and really there are no cravings to ever tempt me to fall of the wagon.

I do hope for both the health and pocketbook of our country people change.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Had never heard of Kathy Freston until a little while ago - she's referenced in the "Sh*t Vegans Say" videos (see Vegan Discussion forum). I'll definitely be on the lookout for more of her articles. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieP View Post

Had never heard of Kathy Freston until a little while ago - she's referenced in the "Sh*t Vegans Say" videos (see Vegan Discussion forum). I'll definitely be on the lookout for more of her articles. Thanks for posting!
Really? She was everywhere for awhile (Oprah, The View, Ellen, Good Morning America, magazines, etc) when she was promoting her book and still pops up in a lot of places.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Now if only more veg*ns would get the clue that tobacco is the new meat. :p
*like*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Really? She was everywhere for awhile (Oprah, The View, Ellen, Good Morning America, magazines, etc) when she was promoting her book and still pops up in a lot of places.
I tend to avoid many elements of pop culture, including on TV - this is probably why her name wasn't familiar. Ellen's pretty rad though! I do enjoy her show when I see it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts