VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,961 Posts
I saw that! While I am loving the attention vegan diets are getting, I'm not happy about the direction. Mostly that it's really about being strict vegetarian, as the families involved didn't seem at all concerned about anything but health.
I'm seeing more negative comments about the use of faux-meats by vegans. The show didn't do much to promote the difference in cooking styles, but was largely focused on replacing meat with meat subsitutes. I agree, they can be a good transition food, but the family didn't seem to get that. Besides chik'n patties, I never felt meat subs tasted better.
When are we going to see Isa, or Robin Robertson, Colleen Patrick Rosseau? Even Tal uses too many Gardein products. I do those as a change, but if they're not cooked properly, can be really awful!
I'd just hate to see more backlash at vegans because people had a soy-dog and rightly hated it.

What really made me happy are the stories of how bad too much protein is for your health! Now I can ask people why they're not concerned about too much protein in their diet!

More good vegan cooks, more docters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Ellen is what Nick Cooney would consider a connector.She is a person of wealth and status who uses her fortunate situation in life to spread a positive social message to exponentially more people than the average grassroots activist could, which is important in the long campaign to normalize vegan eating among the general public.

As for Silva's concern, here is a good article about why vegan activists promote meat analogues to potential new converts. Many of us are trying to spare the most possible animals, not to promote a specific diet. By promoting foods that are already similar to what many omnivores already eat, we can "push the bean forward" at a better rate.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,961 Posts
Werewolf linked this on another thread, Yest another amusing ex-vegan:
http://ecosalon.com/reasons-not-to-be-vegan/
The comments from omnivores are mostly against the use of fake meats. The omnis I know will only give a veggie-burger an OK.
The foods I bring for people to try, however, have all gone over well. I know because they're cooking more veg.
I really think by promoting foods that people see as no better than meat can have a backlash effect. It's only when people understand vegan foods are as varied as any you'll get with meat that it becomes interesting.
Health is an issue for almost everyone. Once they understand a plant based diet can improve their health, and be delicious and easy, they'll do it, at least mostly.
I don't think enough people are willing to put animal rights ahead of tradition; fighting diabetes, cancer, cholestrol and other issues I think will.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Ellen is what Nick Cooney would consider a connector.She is a person of wealth and status who uses her fortunate situation in life to spread a positive social message to exponentially more people than the average grassroots activist could, which is important in the long campaign to normalize vegan eating among the general public.

As for Silva's concern, here is a good article about why vegan activists promote meat analogues to potential new converts. Many of us are trying to spare the most possible animals, not to promote a specific diet. By promoting foods that are already similar to what many omnivores already eat, we can "push the bean forward" at a better rate.
Great post! I do think meat analogues can be useful for some people in the beginning, it eases what can be a very shocking transition for people used to a diet of animal based junkfood. Whole foods are absolutely the way to go but processed foods can be good 'training wheels' for people not quite ready to plunge in to a new way of eating. I know that for me being able to have coconut milk ice cream and veggie burgers was a huge deal, they may not be healthy but they sure are tasty and it's a lot easier for me to stick to ethical and healthy choices when I know I have vegan junk to cheat with sometimes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Werewolf linked this on another thread, Yest another amusing ex-vegan:
http://ecosalon.com/reasons-not-to-be-vegan/
The comments from omnivores are mostly against the use of fake meats. The omnis I know will only give a veggie-burger an OK.
The foods I bring for people to try, however, have all gone over well. I know because they're cooking more veg.
I really think by promoting foods that people see as no better than meat can have a backlash effect. It's only when people understand vegan foods are as varied as any you'll get with meat that it becomes interesting.
Health is an issue for almost everyone. Once they understand a plant based diet can improve their health, and be delicious and easy, they'll do it, at least mostly.
I don't think enough people are willing to put animal rights ahead of tradition; fighting diabetes, cancer, cholestrol and other issues I think will.
I do think that's true for many people, however we're all so different a variety of approaches is good too. Just like how some people will watch Meet your Meat and go vegetarian and others will shrug their shoulders, some people won't be swayed by the health argument but might be swayed by ethics and the promise they can still eat burgers and cupcakes


I've had success with omnivores and vegan junk, Gardein crispy tenders with fries go over really well and everyone loves Yves ground round in spaghetti. It just depends on the person, for some not being able to eat unhealthy but tasty comfort food would be a dealbreaker, and for others faux meats and desserts could be a huge turn off. I try to judge what each person would prefer based on what I know about them, with my more health conscious friends I definitely would be more likely to bring up physical benefits than animal cruelty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
I seen that I thought it was great to spread awareness for people wanting to know how to eat Vegan its a start however, I don't like all the faux meats all at once .They are good a few times a week or once in awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Are these the people that got $10,000 from Gardein to go grocery shopping?

No wonder fake meats are being pushed...
I thought that was the family that was on Oprah and the family on Ellen got a year's supply of Gardein products? I could be wrong though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
It would have been nice if she had debunked the myths about veganism in the video, but overall it was cool
Now I'm wanting to try the beefless tips that are in my freezer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I thought that was the family that was on Oprah and the family on Ellen got a year's supply of Gardein products? I could be wrong though.
This family on the Ellen episode got 10k and a year supply of Gardein.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I watched ti too, and am very happy the attention vegan diets are getting . I like how they use health as a reason to be vegan, because most people don't care about animals as much as they do themselves. Also, the fake meats make it easy for the average omni to find something to eat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
You know I didn't watch the show but I do want to say that My Omni hubby prefers no meat veg*n meals (faux obviously) I mean he has had gardien tenders and quorn nuggets and thought "yum", but he did say he is more likely to try and enjoy meals cooked without a sub. He has said that the subs are "just another texture, but I wouldn't compare them to meat" (minus the previous two mentioned) Now I have used the beefless tips and loved them and used them and thought they were just "okay". I guess if they work for some people than yay, anything to get them to make better choices, but I don't think they should be considered a "standard staple" - now all that said I have a former friend who cooks primarily with subs and her omni man says it makes things "better" so I guess really it's a "to each there own"
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top