VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a big old bunch of kale and I typically make a boring old salad with it but I want some variety in my life. I eat very boringly, because I'm an unimaginative cook, which typically leads to eating unhealthily.

What can I do with kale? I prefer eating it in the raw, but I'd def. cook something simple. And I'd like it to be a substantial meal, not just a side...unless its a really nom nom nom side.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I wash the kale with a drop of fragrance free dish soap on my hands. You'd be amazed at the stuff that a tiny bit of soap will remove from kale!!!

I usually just boil it for ten minutes in salty water. If I'm craving a bit more flavor, I'll add a bit of black pepper. If I'm serving it to someone else, I'll add a veg bouillon cube to the pot.

Anyways, just salt the water, boil it, drain it, and eat it with your mouth.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I wash the kale with a drop of fragrance free dish soap on my hands. You'd be amazed at the stuff that a tiny bit of soap will remove from kale!!!

I usually just boil it for ten minutes in salty water. If I'm craving a bit more flavor, I'll add a bit of black pepper. If I'm serving it to someone else, I'll add a veg bouillon cube to the pot.

Anyways, just salt the water, boil it, drain it, and eat it with your mouth.
That sounds kinda of blah to me. Do you eat this as a meal?

Wait, you eat with your mouth?? Weirdo!

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
I usually don't eat kale raw, so I don't know how you'll feel about my two suggestions, but I'll give it a whirl anyways.

First, I like it roughly chopped and cooked in a frying pan with olive oil, shallots (which I can't eat anymore
), chopped garlic, and lemon juice. Usually I'll throw it all in the pan, with a sprinkle of salt or a dash of soya sauce, and let it wilt with a lid over top for a few minutes. I only really like it lightly cooked. Very simple, but very tasty.

Or, it's nice torn into bite sized pieces, scrunched up with a bit of sesame oil, and baked in a 400 F oven for about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

I usually don't eat kale raw, so I don't know how you'll feel about my two suggestions, but I'll give it a whirl anyways.

First, I like it roughly chopped and cooked in a frying pan with olive oil, shallots (which I can't eat anymore
), chopped garlic, and lemon juice. Usually I'll throw it all in the pan, with a sprinkle of salt or a dash of soya sauce, and let it wilt with a lid over top for a few minutes. I only really like it lightly cooked. Very simple, but very tasty.

Or, it's nice torn into bite sized pieces, scrunched up with a bit of sesame oil, and baked in a 400 F oven for about 10 minutes.
Both sounds yum! In fact I was kind of leaning towards something similar to your first suggestion, with the addition of mushrooms and olive oil. Maybe over a bit of couscous or brown rice?

Crunchy kale sounds like a great snack though!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Both sounds yum! In fact I was kind of leaning towards something similar to your first suggestion, with the addition of mushrooms and olive oil. Maybe over a bit of couscous or brown rice?

Crispy kale sounds like a great snack though!

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

Crunchy kale sounds like a great snack though!
Yes! I love it with brown rice! The nuttiness of the rice is great with lightly cooked kale.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Yes! I love it with brown rice! The nuttiness of the rice is great with lightly cooked kale.
Well that was easy enough. I guess my problem is solved for tonight..

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I like to sautee it in butter or olive oil (not sure if you're vegan or just vegetarian), and add mushrooms, onions, and lemon pepper.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:

I eat very boringly, because I'm an unimaginative cook, which typically leads to eating unhealthily....... but I'd def. cook something simple.......unless its a really nom nom nom side.
Quote:

That sounds kinda of blah to me.
Ha-ha!
I thought this simple plain method of preparing kale would be right up your ally!!!

I have it as a snack, or as a major part of a meal. I don't main a main food and two side foods with my meals. I just pile a bunch of nummy food onto a plate...and eat it with my mouth.

Last time I plated this kale, with was one third of the plate alongside fried cabbage and rice cooked in broth.

Quote:

Kale chips like this are super delicious, but it's not really an entree either. Still a must-try food, though!!! Mmmmm....

If you're really looking to work kale into an entree, it can be cooked into a kale stew with other veggies, or baked into a veg lasagna.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I shred it and add it to soup, but dehydrated kale is my favorite. I grow a lot and dehydrate a batch a week. I wash it, roll it around in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and then into the dehydrator for a few hours.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like it raw. Today, I chopped up a bunch and added diced avocado, fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon), and salt. I don't know if that qualifies as a full meal, but it got me through the afternoon.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Kale chips with nutritional yeast! YUM!

Or I just blend kale with water at high speed as a base for a smoothie then add sweet fruits to it like mangoes, banana, and strawberry. Believe it or not you can't taste the kale!

Also, I recently read that to get the most nutritional benefit from kale it is best to blend it as we can't chew it enough to break it down due to an evolutionary change in our jaw structure. Could be true.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

I had some kale in my dinner tonight, but I didn't grab enough from the garden. I'll have to grab more later.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I steam kale and I eat kale with flax seed oil and spices.

Peace

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I would love to cook kale but it is not available at the supermarket. I think it is probably at the fancy gourmet places which I rarely go to.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

Kale chips with nutritional yeast! YUM!

Or I just blend kale with water at high speed as a base for a smoothie then add sweet fruits to it like mangoes, banana, and strawberry. Believe it or not you can't taste the kale!

Also, I recently read that to get the most nutritional benefit from kale it is best to blend it as we can't chew it enough to break it down due to an evolutionary change in our jaw structure. Could be true.
Just bought my first juicer and I have yet to try it. This will be first on my list! Ty

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I love it raw or steamed, but you can totally just sauté it up with some garlic and olive oil. It's crazy delicious.
It was! Kale is my new bff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had kale recently in a sweet potato and chickpea curry type dish. I just steamed it lightly and threw it in at the end. It was delicious. I also really like making kale salads, but because it is so tough it takes forever to chew through! Baby kale is best, but harder to find here than the tough, curly kale. Anyway, the best thing to do is massage the hell out of it with either some olive oil or avocado and mix in some other yummies like tomatoes and maybe even some cayenne pepper for a kick. Tasty and nutritious!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts