VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all

Today while i was shopping for my daily spinach i happened to encounter a bag of cheap, verdant kale; until today my local supermarket had never stocked it (i live in the arse of the world, you see). Anyway, I've never even tried it but i picked up a bag and upon reading the packaging realised that, nutritionally, it makes brussel sprouts, spinach and brocolli look like a battered beefburger. Therefore, tomorrow i intend to buy a bag; however, i've no idea how to make it or what i can possibly make with it. Help?

Also, is it a nice veg or is it one of those insidiously vile tasting ones such as the parsnip?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I am way lazy with kale... I usually spritz it with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake it for a little while until some of the edges are crispy and any stems are warm and soft.

Then I dump it in a bowl and eat the stuff like it's popcorn.

Also, in soup. Mmmmm, kale and beans in soup together? Amazing.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I've only tried kale once, and I didn't really like it, but I was also just eating a piece of a kale leaf raw. Maybe seasoned and cooked, it'll taste better.

But it's a staple food in my house. Whenever I give my bunny dinner, he grabs the kale from the bowl first. If we run out, then he always sniffs around the dinner bowl looking for it for a minute before settling in to eat the other greens.

--Fromper

·
Registered
3 Posts
I blend kale in my drinks. Come to think of it, I've never tasted it raw or cooked! I don't think it's overpowering because a single banana dominates the kale flavor in my drinks. I read that a lot of people dehydrate kale and eat it as kale chips.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
You can use it for anything that you would use spinach for really. I don't do much gardening but I started growing Kale in my backyard cos you can't get it in supermarkets or fruit n veg stores where I live.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I like it steamed with roast dinner/stews/hot pots/other englishy foods! I think its delicious, but parsnip is also my favourite vegetable (or one of them) so maybe my tastebuds aren't trustworthy guides for you!

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
You can try Kale Chips. It's dehydrated kale with oil and vinegar and salt. Good snack, and a good way to power through a lot of kale.

Kale can be a good addition to most soups. Just drop a few shreds in a couple minutes before it's done cooking.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Kale is not a very tasty vegetable. A tip I learned from somewhere is to rub sea salt on them until it starts getting moist and soft. The reason being, is that Kale is naturally course in texture so by softening it up, it wouldn't be as rough and unpleasant to eat. Regardless if you choose to eat it raw or cook/steam it.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I eat kale almost every day. typically steamed with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, red pepper, and veg broth. or I'll toss a huge handful of it on top of a big skillet of fried tofu (asian, mexican, italian, it varies...) and put a lit on it and let it steam until it's wilted and bright green.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I usually saute it with some onion & garlic and a splash of soy sauce & agave. A local deli makes some amazing kale salads. They boil it briefly and blanch it in cold water so the raw 'edge' is gone, but its still crisp.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It does have a very green taste, but I love it. I braise it with whatever herbs and spices I feel like.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I eat it several times a week. Occasionally I will put some olive oil or coconut oil on it and bake it in the oven. Usually I just put it in a frying pan with some coconut oil. I try not to over-cook it. Then I sprinkle it with salt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to plop a bag of it in my vegetable soup tonight, i'll keep you updated. I suspect you'll all hold your breaths

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wit-and-Wisdom View Post

I'm going to plop a bag of it in my vegetable soup tonight, i'll keep you updated. I suspect you'll all hold your breaths
Turning blue here!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Yeah you can make it a lot of ways you can make other greens. Raw, steamed, sauteed, blended...etc all work great with kale. Play around with cooking styles and flavors. I'm actually making a vegan kale lasagna tonight that has two hole bunches of kale in it lol. The recipe is from Clean Food by Terry Walters.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Kale is awesome.
I believe it's the most nutrient dense food, according to Joel Fuhrman anyway. It's delicious in soups and stews, has a kind of taste similar to broccoli, I find.
It's also delicious fried lightly, then tossed in some sesame oil, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, drizzle of maple syrup... Incredible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts