VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Whole Foods where I spent a stupid amount of money because I REALLY don't want to eat vegan tonight. I started eating vegan more than 8 months ago and this is the first time I have seriously struggled with cravings. It has been a brutally difficult day both personally and professionally and I want comfort food. I want cheese and meat and I'm determined not to eat them.

I had a lot of great healthy vegan food options already in the house, but they just weren't the kinds of comfort foods I was craving. So, instead, I went to Whole Foods and bought a whole bunch of decadent vegan food. I'm about to settle down to a "meat"ball sub with far too many potato chips. And if I feel like it later tonight, I bought some vegan chocolate chip cookies to splurge on as well. I figure it's better than the alternative.

So anyhow, I thought I would post here because it would help me to sort of stay accountable. I've given myself permission to eat comfort food, as long as it's vegan comfort food.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Way to go for working hard to stick with it!

Perhaps buy a few vegan cook books, so you can just get the whole ingredients and make the excited decadent food yourself? It tends to be a bit cheaper, at least for me.

I recommend 'Color me Vegan', it's my favorite cookbook ever.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Way to go for working hard to stick with it!

Perhaps buy a few vegan cook books, so you can just get the whole ingredients and make the excited decadent food yourself? It tends to be a bit cheaper, at least for me.

I recommend 'Color me Vegan', it's my favorite cookbook ever.
Thanks for the support! I actually have tons of vegan recipes, cook healthy vegan meals pretty much every single day, and bake vegan treats from time to time. I think part of the comfort food craving was about eating food that someone ELSE made for a change.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenish View Post

Thanks for the support! I actually have tons of vegan recipes, cook healthy vegan meals pretty much every single day, and bake vegan treats from time to time. I think part of the comfort food craving was about eating food that someone ELSE made for a change.
Aaaah I totally get that! The nearest Whole Foods to me is in Seattle, so like an hour and a half away, I get by with a local food co op that has the most DELICIOUS vegan desserts, I'm sometimes lucky if I get out of there with out spending $100 >.<

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm just outside of Buffalo, NY so there isn't a Whole Foods anywhere near me. We're going to Tampa in the Spring and my husband has already been warned that we will be spending at least half a day at Whole Foods.

I enjoy cooking, but the thought of having something vegan that I didn't have to make myself makes me giddy.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Way to go! That's exactly what I did whenever I got a wicked cheese craving, and it really worked for me. Now I feel like I have retrained my brain so to speak, I still have those days where I feel a bit depressed and want comfort food but I automatically think of vegan alternatives now. When you still have something sinful and decadent to treat yourself with it helps so much. I hope things get better for you, stay strong

·
Registered
388 Posts
Nothing wrong with comfort food...I am really loving the Amy's mac & cheeze with Daiya lately. It's very yummy.

·
Registered
814 Posts
As a new vegan, 3 months after 3 years as a vegetarian, I am still in the throws of new love but know that at some point I will be in the same place.

While we don't have anything like a Wholefoods or Trader Joes in Australia having the opportunity to scope things out in advance will make the time less difficult and my preparedness will be as a result of you kindly sharing.

Thanks for posting Greenish.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I know it's an unpopular opinion with some members on this board but I'm a fan of things like vegan mock meats and premade frozen foods (not all the time of course). They really helped me transition in the beginning and they still help satisfy cravings for comfort food or something quick and easy .

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Next time, buy a case of whatever vegan comfort food and save 10%. Wait for a sale and save even more. That way, you'll get your beloved vegan comfort foods, but won't have to spend a stupid amount of money.

I just bought a case of Amy's Pot Pies. On sale at WF for $2.50 - case discount = $2.25. (Not all of the pot pies are vegan)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I wish I had the room to store a case of the Amy's Non Dairy Vegetable Pot Pie! It's delicious. I buy quite a bit of frozen meals too. They make it easier to make a good choice when you just don't feel like cooking.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I hope you have a better day today, Greenish.

I can totally relate and understand. I'm a comfort eater and when things are really stressful for me I want to turn to food. I don't always since I've learned to control it for the most part, but sometimes when things get really sucky I'll turn to food and it used to be non-vegan things I would crave so badly and I would do the same thing you did. I don't crave non-vegan foods anymore but now my problem is that all my favorite comfort foods are not gluten-free or they are highly processed and I try to eat a lot healthier lately so it makes it really hard some days. We're going out to eat tonight because I've been stressed out and haven't had much time for myself and I know I'm going to cave in real soon and wind up eating a whole bunch of gluten filled processed vegan foods or something. I need a night off from cooking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.