VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm i'm a vegetarian not vegan, but i was wondering something, vegans look a lot closer into what they eat and wear and stuff like that due to the animals involved. I know that gummi bears, jello, and gelatin are all made from hooves, and horns, and basically whats used in glue, also leather and stuff like that too. Now i don't agree an animal should get killed for pure vanitey reasons, or that we should kill animals on a large scale to fatten up the world. but leather and gelatin and stuff like that is used by the parts of animals that would just be discarded, not like the animal dies just to make leather or gelatin, is what the meat factories would throw away, so isn't wearing leather and eating gelatin actually doing something good for the animal, as is a way of saying its life wasn't totally wasted?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The animal still dies for a purpose we don't support.

If we buy the leather and the gelatin and the dead stuff, we are still supporting the meat industry in an indirect way.

Also, I'm not interested in wearing/carting around dead cow skin. Nor am I interested in eating hoof. Supply and demand.

If I don't demand it, there's no need to supply it.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
In fact, you have a point here. Instead of just tossing the dogs that are euthanized we could skin them and sell their fur as clothing - as a way of making value out of their death. Good idea!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok lemme put this scenario into play, and remeber i'm not trying to start an argument, if a person is a welder, and their veg. welders are required to wear leather so they don't burn themselves. what would you do if you were in that situation? and remeber if the welder didn't wear the leather they get fired.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would say many vegans who try to live the vegan lifestyle would try to elminate those things from what they use as well, to the best they can.

Now I have some shoes that may have some leather in them, but I'm not just going to throw them away. I'll wear them out or donate them, but I don't plan on buying anymore with leather in them.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You know ... what you are saying is just like saying we should eat meat ... otherwise the animal died for no reason.

So why are you being wasteful? Go have a steak to remind that cow that he died so you could be full to the brim with rotting flesh.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
every individual makes exceptions to the extent of veganism they allow into their life. Whether that is driving a car that has casein in the rubber tires, or driving on roads with animal proteins. If someone has to make a sacrifice for the sake of their business that's up to them. I would recommend they buy second hand leather though, and only for the business - as to not promote the industry, either financially or socially.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
There is actually a vegan on here that wears leather boots IIRC for his career. As I still drive a car, that isn't something I can judge. But that doesn't mean I think it's an excuse for all vegans to start wearing animal parts. And I still view leather AS the skin of a living creature.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well as for me i don't really like animal deaths, i mean i know its never gonna stop happening but i don't want to be part of it. i wear cotton and as far as i know thats all i have, i have shoes that might have leather but i'm not even sure if its real leather or not. i do though have a leopard gecko who eats living crickets and worms, whats everyones thoughts about that?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I am the veg*an, not my pets. My dog and cat get regular old dog and cat food. I even give my rats venison dog biscuits ... 'cause they love 'em. My pigs, rabbit, and hamsters are vegan by default so there's no issue there.

But you can't have a vegetarian snake or lizard. It doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
pets are a varied issue amongst the vegetarian community.

There are many threads with many points of view about that matter lol. Some of us will say that supporting an animal that eats other animals, is contributing to the very thing we stand against. Others have dogs that they feed dead cow parts. *shrug* depends on who you ask I guess. I myself am with the former, the other 80% that will respond will be with the latter, lol.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
as you can see, heh.

someone will freak out at someone else wearing leather. But yet still support the slaughterhouse industry for their pets. >.>

I wonder if the dog can then wear leather? Could one just buy the leather for the dog, and borrow it for cold nights?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was wondering.....I have cut out all animal products to my knowledge from my diet. Vegg. for 3 months and then went Vegan for past 2 months. I haven't brought this into my clothing choices. I know the obvious leather coat and shoes but what else do you look for does this mean don't wear cotton? I get lost in what to look for with clothes all that I read talks about food and I haven't had much education on clothing or household products. I don't even know if I should say I am vegan. I am on the line? Help I'm lost.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Well consider the fact that it ain't my dog.

In any case, you could cut crickets from the geckos diet I suppose, but then your next step is to figure out what to replace the crickets with. A high-proteing veg, I guess.

I never kept Leos, so I can't tell you.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

as you can see, heh.

someone will freak out at someone else wearing leather. But yet still support the slaughterhouse industry for their pets. >.>

I wonder if the dog can then wear leather? Could one just buy the leather for the dog, and borrow it for cold nights?
You're vicious.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

If we buy the leather and the gelatin and the dead stuff, we are still supporting the meat industry in an indirect way.
-------------------------------------------------

If we buy the beef and the chicken and the dead stuff for our pets, we are still supporting the meat industry in an indirect way.

----------------------------------------------------

fixed.

See. The same argument you proposed, can be said with the pet food industry. It's not vicious. It's about showing perspective.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Well I don't buy the dog food and the cat lives with my meat-loving beau so if you want to throw the hammer at someone take it up with him because he buys the cat food.

It'll be interesting to see if he'd drive half an hour to get veggie cat food or order it offline.

I'm the vegan. My cat didn't ever express the want to go vegan. It's no different from vegan parents permitting their child to eat meat or dairy if he/she so chooses to do so ... and it does happen.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts