VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow.

I'll be honest. I decided to become Vegetarian mainly for "better health" reasons. Not for animal rights.

Ever since watching videos like Meet Your Meat and others, I cant really see myself using any animal products ever again. I just finished watching Earthlings narrated by Joaquin Phoenix.

Damn. I'm seriously considering going 100% Vegan. Its weird. There was so much stuff in that film that made go "Huh. I feel stupid for not realizing this before."

I started off being Lacto-Vegetarian...but then I saw this artist's drawing of a Cow with a couple of humans underneath it sucking on the Cow's udders. A caption below the picture said "Is this natural?"

Obviously...NO. Its not natural at all. I think the switch will be pretty easy for me. I prefer Soy Milk over Cow Milk anyhow. Wearing non-animal clothes shouldnt be a problem for me considering I never liked the idea to begin with. Except...

How do I know that my clothes were made from animals or not? How do I know for sure?

P.S....I about vomitted when the man ripped the skin off that poor fox and it was still alive, blinking and shivering in agony.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesGuy View Post

How do I know that my clothes were made from animals or not? How do I know for sure?
The tag on the back.

Cotton, is cotton, a plant.

Polyester, acrylic, rayon, etc are manmade.

Wool, is wool. (sheep hair)

Angora is rabbit fur.

Leather is cow skin

Silk is made from boiled silkworms

That is about 90% of what you will see in clothes.

·
Registered
898 Posts
All of the scenes in Earthlings are pretty hard to watch. The worst one for me was when those garbage men put that live dog in the garbage truck. I was SO angry. I kept thinking that I am so embarrassed to be a human being and having to be the same species as those jerks.

The second one was that pig getting kick to death.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post

I remember seeing that cow picture with the humans sucking it's tits! That says a lot right there!

Does anyone have a link to it, I would love to post it on my blog!
I have this one:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4206/cowgirlnh6.png

I don't know if it's what you're talking about, though. It's a funnily gross picture. But not gross enough to kill this chocolate frosting craving I have.

~Wondre

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jes, I think you'll find after making the switch to veganism that it was easier than you thought it was going to be. Plus, each person who becomes vegan makes it easier for those who follow. No time like the present to start - the sooner you start, the more animals you'll spare from cruelty. Anyway, you've got my support.

Sometimes it takes a shocker like "Earthlings" to jolt us into making humane lifestyle changes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

The tag on the back.

Cotton, is cotton, a plant.

Polyester, acrylic, rayon, etc are manmade.

Wool, is wool. (sheep hair)

Angora is rabbit fur.

Leather is cow skin

Silk is made from boiled silkworms

That is about 90% of what you will see in clothes.
Anyone can tell me about, satin, cashmere, and pashmina please?

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I watched the first part of Earthlings last night. I bawled like a baby and still feel bad and I'm a vegan.

For anyone considering watching it, be warned. It's graphic, and unyielding.

If you have problems watching animals treated horribly, don't watch it.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
cashmere is an animal product. Satin CAN be, but if it's satin and the tag says 100% polyester it isn't. I have no idea what pashmina is.

Yay for Jesguy!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry, my fault,
I have a pashmina (scarf) made of cashmere. So pashmina is a scarf and nothing to do with the material it is made from!!!

I couldn't watch the Earthlings video! It would mentally destroy me, I'm sure!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesGuy View Post

Wow.

I'll be honest. I decided to become Vegetarian mainly for "better health" reasons. Not for animal rights.

Ever since watching videos like Meet Your Meat and others, I cant really see myself using any animal products ever again. I just finished watching Earthlings narrated by Joaquin Phoenix.

Damn. I'm seriously considering going 100% Vegan. Its weird. There was so much stuff in that film that made go "Huh. I feel stupid for not realizing this before."

I started off being Lacto-Vegetarian...but then I saw this artist's drawing of a Cow with a couple of humans underneath it sucking on the Cow's udders. A caption below the picture said "Is this natural?"

Obviously...NO. Its not natural at all. I think the switch will be pretty easy for me. I prefer Soy Milk over Cow Milk anyhow. Wearing non-animal clothes shouldnt be a problem for me considering I never liked the idea to begin with. Except...

P.S....I about vomitted when the man ripped the skin off that poor fox and it was still alive, blinking and shivering in agony.
That is the single image from Earthlings that still sticks in my mind. Horrifying. Also, the dolphin fishing in Japan.

Though those movies are so difficult to watch, I think they are very important for some of us to keep focused on our reasons for veganism. I became vegan after seeing Meet Your Meat a couple of years ago, and then I kind of let it drift to the back of my mind. I started thinking about veganism in the more philosophical realm and decided it would be acceptable to eat free-range dairy/eggs. From there I kind of slipped into buying whatever dairy was cheapest, eating cheese omelets at Denny's, stuff like that. From there I slipped further into eating fish, commercial and organic dairy, and commercial and organic eggs. It took re-watching Meet Your Meat to jolt me back to reality and realize that I needed to stop consuming animal products! I stopped buying them but continued to eat them at other peoples' homes, and then one night a couple of months ago I watched Earthlings. That was the moment I decided there was no turning back! No matter how awkward the social situation, I wasn't going to compromise! Whatever uncomfortableness I have to feel occasionally as a vegan is miles away from the torture those animals go through every day.

Good luck on your journey! We are all here to help you whenever you need it!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I personally won't watch those particularly graphic videos. Peaceable Kingdom was hard for me to watch, and I don't know why I ever watched it. Some of those images still haunt me. I know what's happening, I don't need to see it - it's just too hard to watch. I know it helps some people, particularly those who aren't 'there' yet. It's good to know that these videos are a source of inspiration. Now if we could only get those cold-hearted omni's to watch them.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I don't watch them either. I already teeter on the edge of giving up on the world in complete despair every day, so I imagine Earthlings or Peaceable Kingdom would probably be pretty bad for my mental health.

At the same time though I don't think I need to...every step along this journey, once I committed to the next step I have not faltered. Unlike colorful (
) I have become increasingly committed over the past five years. If there ever comes a time where that somehow changes I know what I have to do, but thus far it hasn't been necessary.

I think it's great that those videos exist though, although I of course wish they didn't have to. And I admire those of you who do watch them and use them to help you maintain your lifestyle in the midst of such an anti-veg world.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all the replies. As to the comment about "cold-hearted omnis"...I think thats a bit over the top.

Being fresh off the omni-lifestyle, if a vegan or someone had told me I was cold-hearted for eating meat, I would've just shrugged them off as being looney. Much like some of the PETA videos---calling people names and attacking their personalities is NOT the way to gain converts. For example, in one PETA add it says, "It takes a small person to beat a defenseless animal, and it takes an even smaller person to eat it."

Give me a break. I agree with the first part, but the second? Sheesh.

This is how people were raised. Eating meat is something they've done since they were toddlers. I think calling them cold-hearted is a ludicrous judgement on people who simply dont know. If I can change, so can others, but that doesnt mean they, or I were ever "cold-hearted". Its just how they were raised.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That video is very hard to watch, after I saw Meet Your Meat I thought nothing could be worse. And I was wrong.... When I saw it I was a l/o veg and it made me question whether or not I thought being vegetarian was enough, and now I'm a vegan. I think you'll find the transition easy, I sure did. I've always liked soymilk over cow's and I didn't own many articles of clothing made from animals (only a pair of leather boots). The only real changes were reading labels before eating things and not eating cheese. I enjoy being vegan more and more every day.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i'm glad that i read this before watching that video. i was going to the other day, but just didnt get around to it, now i know what i'm in for and i'm prepared if i sit down to watch it. i just dont think i'm ready yet. i've seen all the others and they were enough for now, but i will watch this one in the future

·
Registered
278 Posts
do you mean this one? ironically i was just changing it as you posted! the other one was coming out fuzzy on my computer screen

I went on google images and searched for photos of cows and their babies. one of the things that always gets to me is hearing about how they are taken away and the mother cows cry for them... breaks my heart

1 - 20 of 53 Posts