VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is very sad news for me (Though I'm sure you vegans are all cheering).

Does anyone here have advice for using soy milk for cooking? I'm not a huge fan of non dairy milks though I did think that almond milk was quite good when I used to live with my L.I. sister, but I've since been using dairy again(Until it started making me very sick). Anyway, I was thinking more about things like creamy sauces, etc. Is this possible with soy milk? I have a craving for cream peas on toast but...I don't know how I'd make that work without dairy milk.

I'm sure a number of vegans and lactose intolerant persons have some cooking with soy milk advice for me.

And I know this is also probably seriously annoying for many people here...but I have no idea how I'm going to live without cheese. I am aware it DOES have addictive properties and I'm just super sad about the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
No I am not cheering. I don't agree with the idea of lactose intolerance as a disease though. I think it is a natural consequence of being weaned.

I don't care to use most soymilk in cooking. If you are in the USA, see if you can find MimicCreme. The plain unsweetened is excellent in mashed potatoes, cream sauces, creamy soups, anyplace you want richness. Hopefully you are not allergic to nuts? MimicCreme is made from cashews and almonds.

So Delicious Coconut Beverage comes in second for cooking, and the flavored and sweetened kinds are delicious for drinking. So Delicious Coconut Yogurts are the best too.

Got no cheese advice, sadly. I am not a fan of any vegan cheeses.

You can also learn to make cream sauces without any sort of milk, if you can make a good roux from flour and fat. Just add water or broth the the roux til it makes a basic white sauce, and you can add any sort of herbs or spices to this you like.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Experiment with all sorts of things. Ground almonds, ground cashews etc. powdered coconut creamer. look on the net for recipes.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I assume that you are located in the US ? You can use soya or oat milk for cooking and I find that the end results really does taste the same as when using cow's milk. I often just add a spoon of soya or oat cream/or oil for extra creaminess.

Have you ever tried lactose free milk ?

As for Vegan cheese. I have tried a few brands and they really do not taste anything like traditionnal cheese, however do make a decent substitute.

http://www.organicvalley.coop/produc.../lactose-free/

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. And I was mostly joking about vegans cheering...mostly

I'm actually located in Canada, and I've never seen mimiccreme here, that doesn't mean the local organic/ natural food store doesn't have this, It's just not possible for me to get to said local store to check.

No nut allergies(Yay!), or any other kind of issue. And I have never tried lactose free milk... I don't know but my body is literally telling me not to ingest this, so I'm at least going to try and heed the warning.

We will see what soymilk is like on my cereal today. LOL.

EDIT:The So Nice soymilk was fine on my cereal.

I also did not know I could make a cream sauce with just the roux and broth. I'm going to attmpt this and see how my creamed peas go...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't really do a lot of cooking, but I've been lactose intolerant since about 15 so it comes up occasionally. I think the main difference I noticed between milk and soy "milk" was that in baking stuff, the soymilk seemed somehow to stop it from rising as much. I just solved it by adding baking soda.

Rice milk I always found rather like water, but white.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts