VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally went vegetarian and would like some help with protein. I read that I need like 130 grams with my weight. With out eating meat how can I get all this. I read that you need to eat beans and rice together to be a complete protein so if there is protein in other things i eat are they complete protein or should I really worry about that. I do not eat cheese or eggs(yuck) and only drink skim milk.

I would like some protein help and to let me know if the complete protein is something I should worry about.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Depends on your daily activities.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do a bit. I do 1 hour of house work and do 15 minutes of exercise daily. Just starting will build up. What about the whole protein should I worry about that.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Unless you are a body builder or something Im not sure you need more than the RDI? :/

In any case beans and pulses are excellent sources of protein.
In fact baked beans on wholemeal toast can rival a steak for protien and essential vitemins and minerals. It is a complete meal.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

In fact baked beans on wholemeal toast can rival a steak for protien and essential vitemins and minerals. It is a complete meal.
No.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quinoa, beans, lentils, soy meats, protein powders, tofu, seitan.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

No.
YES. Do not simply quote me and say no...if you have reason to think otherwise then say it.

There was a programe on last week that showed if you combine beans with wholemeal bread it boosts the ammino acids in the beans and rivals a steak....

No there are not just beans, eggs and cheese.

There are soy products but not a lot of people like to consume too much soy.
If you read what I said I also said pulses which include, lentils, couscous, quinoa and so on.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

YES. Do not simply quote me and say no...if you have reason to think otherwise then say it.

There was a programe on last week that showed if you combine beans with wholemeal bread it boosts the ammino acids in the beans and rivals a steak....

No there are not just beans, eggs and cheese.

There are soy products but not a lot of people like to consume too much soy.
If you read what I said I also said pulses which include, lentils, couscous, quinoa and so on.
Say amino acids then and not protein then, there's no chance for baked beans on toast to beat steak when it comes to quantity of protein.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
green leafy vegetables are great sources of protein. if you eat grains, pair your greens with quinoa and some legumes.
don't forget to eat your veggies and fruit. i'd find it hard to believe someone would be deficient in protein if they're getting enough calories and eating whole foods; however, many diets i have evaluated are deficient in vitamins and minerals found predominantly in fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Amino acids are assembled by the body into "complete protein". So to get "complete protein" you need to eat sufficient amounts of all the essential amino acids.

There are proteins / amino acids in nearly everything we eat, but obviously some foods have a lot more than others. Typically, we easily get enough of the kinds of amino acids found in grains (e.g. rice, wheat, millet, oats, barley etc) whereas the limiting amino acid (lysine) is found in higher amounts in legumes (soya beans, chick peas, black eyes peas, lima beans, red / green / brown / etc lentils, green peas, peanuts, .....). Eggs have a pretty high amount of all the essential amino acids, as far as I know. (But I don't eat them since I'm a vegan.)

I would think it's difficult to accurately track your actual daily intake of the various amino acids as few (probably none) of the online databases have the full amino acid profile of every food. If you're worried about this, I think the best option is to try and eat as many servings of various legumes you think you need, and then see how you feel. Have a look e.g. in one of the "What did you eat today" type threads in the vegan or vegetarian subforums to see what other people eat to get an idea of what is common.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I remember when I went vegetarian back in the early '70s. There was an old wives' tale back then about "complete protein". Supposedly there was "incomplete proteins". So rice was incomplete, beans are incomplete, but combine them, you get a "complete protein". It turned out, this was completely bogus.

I see, by your post, that the "complete/incomplete" protein myth is still alive and strong.

I don't worry about these things at all. I'm 57, still going strong, after 39 years of being a vegetarian.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yajnavalkya View Post

I wouldn't worry about it. I remember when I went vegetarian back in the early '70s. There was an old wives' tale back then about "complete protein". Supposedly there was "incomplete proteins". So rice was incomplete, beans are incomplete, but combine them, you get a "complete protein". It turned out, this was completely bogus.

I see, by your post, that the "complete/incomplete" protein myth is still alive and strong.

I don't worry about these things at all. I'm 57, still going strong, after 39 years of being a vegetarian.
It's not entirely wrong though.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yajnavalkya View Post

No problem! If you think that it feels better to fret over this or that minor detail, you go right ahead.
I don't, but that doesn't mean that I should declare it to be a lie.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts