VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh mmmmmyyyyyyyy ggggggooddddddd!

I really don't know what i'm doing but i know that its not fair to continue dating him right now.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I assume, you broke up with him because he's omni?

Was it an issue between you two? i.e., did he you tease you with steak and crab meat? If so, good riddance to him!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no he was quite respectful i just found it really hard because there was a lack of major understanding between us i mean i mentioned that i wanted to focus more on helping animals promting veganism and said that was foolish. Plus there was other issues.

Thanks for replying charityajo

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I had an ex whose stance was "that's fine if you want to be vegetarian, but don't go around trying to save animals, because that's just silly."

Plth! Screw him.

I hope you enjoy your new freedom, blueserendipity.
A toast: to womanhood, and the shedding of male leeches.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
What AuroraLily said and ChairtyAJO.

I wish and hope for you blueserendipity that despite the attitiudes of mindless

EX-boyfriends, you get straight back on course with what YOU want to focus on with full passion for what you believe is the right way to go!!...which of course is to get a vegan boyfriend!! so that you can do all what you want without being goaded and restrained etCetera by Omni's *or whomsoever* that care not for animals.....

And afterall why compromise yourself and your principles for the sake of someone that isn't even making the slightest attempt to make an effort!!!!

In my absolute opinion an OMNI is never going to provide you with the maximum love and focus of attention needed by a vegan.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

Another single veg girl!
And in Australia!

Melbourne, too? The most livable city in the world (I wouldn't mind moving to Melbourne, I have always loved it when I have visited).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
blueserendipity,

Sorry to hear that. Even when break-ups are the right thing to do, they're generally not easy, but you need to do what needs to be done for you to be happy (and, by extension, him since if he's embarassed by what you stand for he'd probably get a bit bitter and annoyed by you over time).

Well, do what your heart tells you to and somebody will come along that will love you *and* what you're passionate about.

Take care,

Mskedi

·
Registered
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FertiVegork

[In my absolute opinion an OMNI is never going to provide you with the maximum love and focus of attention needed by a vegan. [/B]
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. I would love my bf to be vegan, but I'm not out to proselytize anyone...I'm not the vegan police. I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement like that, that an omni / vegan relationship could not work. There's a lot more to each of us as an entire human being. There's so much more to him than the fact that he eats meat, and there's so much more to me than the fact that I'm vegan. In fact, I think perhaps we learn more from each other this way.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Katie,

Must agree with your post. All of my exes have been omnis, and all but one have been fabulous, wonderful people (not the people for me, obviously, but fabulous nonetheless
).

Mskedi

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Katieq

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. I would love my bf to be vegan, but I'm not out to proselytize anyone...I'm not the vegan police.

I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement like that, that an omni / vegan relationship could not work. There's a lot more to each of us as an entire human being.

There's so much more to him than the fact that he eats meat, and there's so much more to me than the fact that I'm vegan. In fact, I think perhaps we learn more from each other this way.
Since I am answering in someone elses thread here I will TRY to put my interests mostly to one side momentarily, and not debate the full pros and cons, since this is not my thread.

I will however contribute to say that vegans/people of conscience in this day and age have to be more and more aware and know about the world, and its unsound ways, more rigourously these days to uncover what is right, and that means knowing where

we stand, and not just in relationships but in all aspects of life....

because in veg verses meat relationships, if one person is truely principled, (and the other not) wanings of principle will most likely be the outcome and bound to occur, ++especially hard to swallow

if you are strict veg*n like me++ so this is my logic, you would merge into dull thought, risking a downgrade in your the veg values, or that of any veg person becoming involved with a meater.

........so for a veg with a mind to keep values sharp and focused its a must to be in control of your temptationsl!!! ......because else my point being is that unless a veg person behaves/acts responsibly and at least tries to clear of an OMNI encounter (however eyeopening) it can degrade into a world of blurry vision and nievety and other monstrocities of which some are all too apparent (and some nasties unseen too) in our modern age of infinite complexities like bio-hazards in our foods, etc and so to seek OMNI or meat attentions increase these anxieties about food etc and more generally risk of blurring boundries all for the sake of a OMNI interaction, and hardly likely to lead to the same joy of knowing another vegan I think, WHICH IS offering a more simpler, better more straight forward way to go for the vegan, (with another vegan) and all without the grief of entering un-necessarily into dodgy moral/ethical zones, & risking the very foundation on which veganism is beset(based).

To some, many notions about veg and nonveg, may SEEM to be relatively compatible in some peoples overall views and may even appear to co-exist in the midst of love, but when veg factuals are hit upon, they unfurl and mentalities collide like toxins in the fabric

of your psychee.... (ie, if a veggie is unwisely compromising themselves in trying to please a person that eats meat)....

Conscience is tested non more severly than when in a relationship

of when things naturally become intensified and ""effectively put under a microscope"" ***because of the strain of conflict*** There is little room for neutrality, so if really debated, one could see deeper and more clearly an encounter of this sort can result in a whole lot more going wrong, than in an [[[veg on veg]]] 0r [[[meat- on-meat]]] relationship because combining with one with the other is bound to lead to complications, due to diet differences

(and thus pertaining to alsorts of other wherewithalls of differences to do with animals and beliefs etc) which all comglomerate and as said become most apparent in particular when seeking a mate, and about me the last thing I myself would want is an OMNI in my personal life (unless as an aquaintance) the last thing I'd want is start on a road to ruin... so even to begin on such slippery slopes does not make sense to me.

Sure you can gain experience in amongst social counterparts of non-vegan credentials by casual default or whatever, but ultimately if you are a true vegan, my opinion is that you should always go back to your roots!... regardless of how many OMNIs take your fancy, and know what you are getting yourself into from the start...as much as possible to do in advance of things turning sour and ending!!!!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
blueserendipity, if he said you were being foolish, he is most definitely not worth your time. To belittle something that he knows is important to you just shows that he really doesn't take your beliefs seriously. It's best not to have a relationship with a person like that, and instead focus on yourself, your beliefs, and what is important to you. Before you know it, something bigger and better will come along, and you will see that the choice to stick to your values makes you stronger and more appealing.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
now the hard part is sticking to my choice, i tend to feel sorry for them, or start getting lonely and want to call back and say forget what i say.

This is more than a omni vs a vegan relationship its a major conflict of interests, were complete opposites and while that is fun and can last for a while (2yrs in fact) its not for me long term. I need someone who is passionate about something and is not willing to complain or criticise my passions.

Guys you make me laugh. Michael i love the dancing thing, and Kurmudgeon next time you come to melb you must check out vegetarian orgasm (restaurant) which the best vegan cakes ever.

I do think that in my future choices for somone i will be looking out for a veggie or at the least someone whos opinion of veganism and animal rights is a little more in line with mine.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
That at least in part sounds like an improvement of finding a way to move on from here....

Choices-- Choices --Choices.... Veganism doesn'thave to limit your

choices but it is the one and only for me so that the choices are

rarely ever ambiguous in anyway. Problem solved!.. this is why

veganism rocks!!! It can make life more simple as well as hard!!!!

Just stick with something you can be proud of and adhere to, that

respects your diet and other interests too!...and allow yourself to

just let go of the temptation to call someone that will only make things worse (or is likely to make things worse/more complicated)

etc, etc...

Of course I don't know your full story, these are just my general recommendations which I am trying to tailor for you somewhat

and at the same time get my views across too... (without overly intruding on your set of agendas and so forth)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blueserendipity

now the hard part is sticking to my choice, i tend to feel sorry for them, or start getting lonely and want to call back and say forget what i say.
Hang in there. It's only rough in the short term. You'll be thankful to yourself for your resilience later.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blueserendipity

This is more than a omni vs a vegan relationship its a major conflict of interests, were complete opposites and while that is fun and can last for a while (2yrs in fact) its not for me long term.

That sounds familiar...
I am much more interested in people who are my opposites, but then it becomes a problem when dating long-term. But when I date someone who has lots in common with me, I get bored. Umm.. not much of a dating future for me, eh?

Hope you're a little bit better in that respect,

Mskedi

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
blueserendipity, it is hard breaking up rationally (I've done it too). But ultimately if you break up for a rational reason it's easier to stick to it, you just have to remind yourself of that reason (even as a mantra for a while if necessary). I'm lucky, my OMNI fiance fully supports all my crazy passions about helping dogs and other animals and is very aware of what I can and can't eat, and never hassles me about it. I think as he gets older he will lean more towards this type of diet but I think atm he is too young (i.e. not ready for it). He is living in a state of denial and he knows it but it is HIS choice. But they also need to be aware that what we choose to do with our lives is OUR choice. That is the difference between an omni you can live with and one you can't.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts