VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a couple of times elsewhere so I thought I'd better come over here and introduce myself!

I'm 22, stopped eating meat at 12, fish at 18, milk at 21 and took the plunge this January and decided I'd become vegan!

I cut out all obvious dairy straight away (milk, eggs, cheese, etc) and then started changing the way I cook so I rely less on processed foods and more on fresh veggies, grains, fruits and such. In dietary terms at least, I am now entirely vegan. So I've revolutionised my kitchen, next it's the bathroom!

I live in London, England, and have done for five years. Before that I lived in the North-East and spent all my free time writing to over twenty penpals. I fell in love with one of them through long letters and late-night phonecalls and hence my new life in London! Next month we'll have been together for six years and we are still very happy
He is also becoming vegan along with me.

As well as veganism and AR, I'm also interested in art and writing. I couldn't draw at all, but in Feb 02 I decided I was going to learn and I couldn't believe the progress I made.

After many false novel starts, this January I sat down and told myself I was going to write at least 2000 words a day and not stop until a novel was done, no matter how awful it was. I'm now almost finished the first draft of my third novel and each one is stronger than the last.

So it's been a great couple of years for personal acheivements, but unfortunately a sad time for family. A death, a messy divorce and other things I can't even bring myself to say. I guess I've used my writing and art and to some extent my veganism as rocks to keep me going.

I was ecstatic to find such a group of like-minded, friendly people and I look forward to getting to know you all better
I'm generally shy, but once I get going I can't shut up! Just look at the length of this post!

BTW: I no longer have all those penpals

·
Registered
765 Posts
What a nice intro, Bobsy!

I admire your fortitude in writing - I've always wanted to write a novel, but can never get past short stories!

I joined here not too long ago only to find out what a great, fun group this is. If you ever have any questions, you can be sure there will people here with answers!

Oh, and I also used to have 5 penpals - I can't imagine having 20!

Welcome to VB!!! Be sure to post often

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i think that it's great that you decided to start a new life for yourself. i think that everyone at some point or another wishes they could do that.

post often and don't make yourself a stranger

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the lovely welcome

I've uploaded my avatar now - that's part of a painting I did a couple of months back. I hope I uploaded it alright!

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this community - though it looks like it could become something of an addiction!

lucycat - good luck on the writing! my first novel is nowhere near saleable, but I proved to myself I could finish one, which is all it was ever meant to be. You wouldn't believe the exhilaration you feel the first time you type 'the end' after 350-400 pages of your own story! But revision is far too scary . . .

kerouac - it wasn't so much deciding I wanted a new life - I suddenly realised that if other people could do those things, there was no reason I couldn't either. It's always been my dream to write a novel and illustrate the cover, so I decided to start working on it. Maybe in fifteen or twenty years I'll be there! My mantra is 'one day. . .'

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hello, Bobsy! Welcome to the boards. I'm a writer/editor, too -- but have never been able to finish a novel yet. I'm mainly focusing on personal essays right now, which is a nice deviation from the fiction I was writing before.

Anyway, welcome!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the wonderful welcome! You've made me smile

That Alpaca Guy - Well, the first book started off as urban fantasy then turned into a romance half way through. The second started off as a paranormal/mainstream then turned into a romance half way through. By the third one I took the hint and started a romantic suspense with a dash of paranormal. So far it's on track!

I would never have guessed that I'd end up writing romance since I hadn't read one since I was about fifteen! When my writing started heading in that direction I picked them up again and soon discovered that fantasy and suspense can and do mix with romance. None of those airy-fairy virginal heroines for me. I like my romances dark and gothic, with murder, betrayal and a fragile love blossoming in the middle of the mayhem.

I'm also planning for a fantasy trilogy, but that's more of a long-term project. I have high hopes for it and don't want to rush the ideas stage. I have a whole world to build!

Sorry, once I get talking about my writing I can't shut up
Just give me a virtual slap

·
Registered
870 Posts
Bobsy you've got moxie! I like someone who sets a goal and then follows the path that leads to that goal.

I spent some time writing, but things kept getting so dark in my plot and characters that I finally laid it all aside, it seemed to have no way out of the despair. (now I might use a loose outline rather then just sitting down to flow) I've also written curriculum (and taught it) One thing I have learned is that revisions and editors are frightening but worth overcoming your fear for. My editor would red line so much of what I poured my heart and soul into, things I thought were absolutely essential, it stressed me deeply, but in the end she was right and it was worth the effort to re-write. Find someone you can trust but I would not choose a close friend, you may not be such close friends by the time the piece is ready to print. The heart and pride are dangerous entities. They do not take well to reason.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow
You're all so friendly. You sure know how to make a girl feel at home.

Quote:
(now I might use a loose outline rather then just sitting down to flow)
I can't write without an outline. I've tried it and I never get past thirty pages before breaking out in a cold sweat! I need to know where I'm going and how I'm going to get there.

Seems like there's a lot of writers around here
What do you write, Kamila?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm not writing right now, just enjoying the thoughts of others. I work a 10-hour day and sandwich that into a one hour commute on each end. School is out for summer so I have some time and am working on finishing a Bible study that I started over Christmas break but that will not be mind shattering or world changing. I like the study and the chasing down of facts, making them dance in an exciting way that nurtures a mind and pushes it to want to know more. Thats what I want but I'm just not that good.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I wonder how many writers we have here at VB, anyway. I'm a writer myself, mostly screenplays, though I'm working on a manuscript now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts