VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,
You may if wish call this thread a homage to 'The Stupid Thing's Omnivore's Say' thread. I was watching Julie and Julia last night. Great movie! Except for one thing...the REAL charming Julia Child calls down veg*nism. According to her it was the 'cool' thing to do in the sixties. Quote:

"We didn't know many vegetarians years ago. Not eating meat became the thing to do some places in the '60s, but the movement is much bigger in the '90s. Personally, I don't think pure vegetarianism is a healthy lifestyle. It's more fear of food-that whole thing that red meat is bad for you. And then there are people who don't eat meat because it's against their morals. Well, there's nothing you can do with people like that. I've often wondered to myself: Does a vegetarian look forward to dinner, ever?"

Of course we look forward to dinner! I look forward to dinner more than the days of porkchops and applesauce for dinner! I haven't been this disapointed in someone since I found out Chuck Norris is a creationist :/ Bummer.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
*nods* I saw the DVD on sale for $10 the other day and considered buying it. But I was worried there would be omni style cooking in it and I knew I would not enjoy watching it, so I didnt buy it. Im glad now.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
"And then there are people who dont eat meat because its against their morals. Well, theres nothing you can do with people like that. Ive often wondered to myself: Does a vegetarian look forward to dinner, ever?"
There are some people, like Julia, who really don't have much of a moral compass at all. Their philosophy is that if they get pleasure from it then it's good.

That's why foie gras exists.

You can't trust someone like that to consider anyone's interests but their own.

I have no clue why people adore her so much. I find her unappealing in most ways.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

*nods* I saw the DVD on sale for $10 the other day and considered buying it. But I was worried there would be omni style cooking in it and I knew I would not enjoy watching it, so I didnt buy it. Im glad now.
There is a scene in which Julie (Amy Adams) has to cook Lobster Thermador. She's seen talking about it, blogging about it, buying the lobsters, looking at the lobsters in the bag as she and her husband are driving home, and finally they get the lobsters into the cooking pot and put the lid on. It's hard to sit through.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
^ That sounds difficult : ( . I can relate as crayfish have always been cooked here for special occasions, and it used to make me sad, though seafood was my favourite type of meat when I was omni so it caused a huge conflict in my mind. Thank goodness I dont have to worry about that anymore!

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
I hated the movie anyways.Not becaue of the omni ide, i don't even remember noticing it. maybe i was one myself then. but man, was it boring. and well what does one expect, she is an old fashioned woman, they don't see living beings, they see food

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

There is a scene in which Julie (Amy Adams) has to cook Lobster Thermador. She's seen talking about it, blogging about it, buying the lobsters, looking at the lobsters in the bag as she and her husband are driving home, and finally they get the lobsters into the cooking pot and put the lid on. It's hard to sit through.
Yep. I turned off the film before that scene was done. Sick.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It doesn't surprise me as Child was steeped in the French tradition of culinary hedonism. I used to watch her show when I was a kid and thought she was a hoot. I actually somewhat share her philosophy on life and cooking, I just don't view animal fat as the end-all and be-all of what makes a meal sensuous. Quite the opposite in fact.

I watched the movie because I adore Meryl Streep, but the rest of the it I could do without. It's a Hollywood cliche to make a "comic relief" scene out of stuffing live lobsters into a pot of boiling water. Yeah, ick.

ETA: I think one reason people adored her was that she was an assertive, successful woman in what was still very much a man's world.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

It doesn't surprise me as Child was steeped in the French tradition of culinary hedonism. I used to watch her show when I was a kid and thought she was a hoot. I actually somewhat share her philosophy on life and cooking, I just don't view animal fat as the end-all and be-all of what makes a meal sensuous. Quite the opposite in fact.

I watched the movie because I adore Meryl Streep, but the rest of the it I could do without. It's a Hollywood cliche to make a "comic relief" scene out of stuffing live lobsters into a pot of boiling water. Yeah, ick.

ETA: I think one reason people adored her was that she was an assertive, successful woman in what was still very much a man's world.
This!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I actually kind of liked the movie... The cooking didn't bother me. Well, no more than any other omni cooking bothers me. But the vegetarian quip was irritating - it's the kind of comment that makes me force-feed omnis my cooking so they can see why I get so excited about my food.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

There are some people, like Julia, who really don't have much of a moral compass at all. Their philosophy is that if they get pleasure from it then it's good.

That's why foie gras exists.

You can't trust someone like that to consider anyone's interests but their own.

I have no clue why people adore her so much. I find her unappealing in most ways.
I don't know to what extent this is a fair description of Julia Child, but many people seem to think Julie Powell is basically amoral, based on her book Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat, and Obsession. (I haven't read the book, and don't know Julie Powell personally, so this could be way off, of course.)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I loved this movie actually and also what Julia Child stood for... a strong independent woman in a time when there weren't so many. I don't believe she killed animals for enjoyment as much as she killed animals for food like most of the planet does, only she loved eating and enjoyed showing people creative ways to prepare their food. She's no different than any other meat-eater in my mind. She was from a different time and place, and regardless of what she ate, I admire the gusto with which she did so. She continues to be one of my idols.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Also... I must admit that much of the food shown in that film made my mouth water. My goodness it all looked so good!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Julia Child is definitely one of my heroes... not just with respect to enjoying food... but enjoying life in general.

She lived to be 92 years old because of her zest for life.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

That's nothing compared to some of the things Anthony Bourdain has said.
Agree!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

That's nothing compared to some of the things Anthony Bourdain has said.
Such as? (if it's not too offensive to post here)

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I am a bigg Julia Child fan...(I am saying this as someone who loathes cooking..lol).read her books and some of her cook books...she was funny and independent and loved what she was doing and was always trying to be better and be unique she had such an awesome style that was her own and always had a zest and enthusiasm for life and cooking....I enjoy her cooking shows with Jacques Pepin......cause they are never boring and she was always taking it to the next level....yes the cooking of meats does bugg me......I also have to say being such a big fan I didnt enjoy the movie one bit...I found it long and a bit boring but thats just me....I have fam and friends who really liked it.

peace

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you Julia supporters :O) I enjoyed the movie mostly from a Culinary perspective not that I don't care about vegetarian recipes. I am in fact recreating the Julie and Julia vegetarian recipes as tribute to Julia's zeal. Poor Julia she never lived 'fully' enough to truely experience 'Singapore Curry Noodles' or a 'Lime Alfredo Fettucine'. I feel the majority of veg*n's out there truely take cooking seriously, like Julia intended, and watching her movie is well...a good self-esteem booster for serious cooks. When veg*n's watch J/J be reassured there is a strong lineage of cooks, from Ms. Joy, to Child, to Julia, then to us veg*ns. We're the link in Culinary history that's making the world a better place. It's only going to get better I think...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.