VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best juicer? omega, champion, juiceman? try to be specific and include the brand name and model. whats the best store/or online store to buy from? i want to spend under $300. thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've heard great things about the Champion Juicers. This site has them for $199.00. I sure wish I could get one.
It's the only juicer that I know of that makes nut butters. I love the idea of making my own cashew, pecan, and brazil nut butter! Hmmm.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I have a Juiceman Jr. It was a present, so I'm not sure how much it cost, but I think it was relatively inexpensive. Someday I'll upgrade, but I'm mostly addicted to carrot juice and it's fine for that. I use it all the time in summer -- it makes great melon juices, orange juice, and such, and it's easy to clean.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'll be buying a juicer very soon (only need to get the $$$ thing worked out, heh), and did some considerable research.

I'll be buying the Champion.

The other, cheaper juicers work with the "gravitational" method, whereas the champ literally chews the stuff, so it has a higher extraction rate. Also, the champion can be used to make nutbutters and champ fans swear that you haven't known smoothies before you haven't tried homogenized frozen banana/other fruit freshly made by the champion.

(also, the champion has an optional grain mill attachment if you're into making your own flour)

I also checked out other juicers in the shops and they seem to be a bit crappy in comparison. They are all plastic. The Champion is all steel, like a KitchenAid!

The only "real" alternative seems to be the Green Star, but it is a real professional machine and more expensive.

Considering all this, I think the Champion is a great deal.

Note that I will be a heavy juicer user and so my needs might be different from yours.

BTW, one of the best places for juicers is:

http://www.discountjuicers.com

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Yay KitchenAid! (I've had my KA mixer over 10 years - and use it regularly....I have every attachment ever invented including the "sausage stuffer"........though I've never used that one)

I have one of those "Hydraulic" Orange/Lemon presses. It's not the most efficient - but it sure looks snazzy sitting on my kitchen counter.

I'd like to get a real juicer - $199 for a champion doesn't seem that much considering the quality of that brand

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Hahaha. Well it's a non-starter because I don't think there is a veggie casing out there anywhere (though if anybody knows of one - let me know....I might give it a go - love a challenge!)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
oh that is true.. never thought of the casing.
YOu would have to think there would be a vegetarian type, cause they make soy dogs and such.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Ah yeah - I never thought of that - especiall the italian veggie sausages.

I saw a magazine advertisement for Boca Italian Sausage - I'll have to wait until I move back to the states next year to check it out (over here we have boca burgers and morningstar dogs - and we're lucky to have that - oh yeah, and Silk ..... thank gawd!)

But to keep this ON TOPIC (haha) -

Does anyone know if the Champion Juicer is really noisy?

I used to have a juicer like the Juiceman Junior a long time ago - the kind that spun really fast and made a tremendous amount of noise - I finally just gave it away because it gave me a headache.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I had the boca sausage, just on a whim... before I went vegetarian. They are good, kinda on the spicey side, but a good substitute for the real thing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oatmeal..

I have wanted to buy a juicer for ever but I always kind of thought that the Vitamix was the ulitmate. Have you looked into it at all...I know that it is incredibly expensive although you can get used ones from their site and ebay. But it makes ice cream, and soup and flour, nut butters, smoothies, juice all in the one machine. But it doesn't extract anything it uses the whole fruit/vegetable...I just wondered what people thought about the Vitamix as it has always been my dream to own one

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by portabella

I just wondered what people thought about the Vitamix as it has always been my dream to own one
It's my dream, too... They're just so expensive. But they are useful... my parents have one, and not a day goes by without someone in that house using it. They're particularly nice when I go visit and my dad can throw together a smoothie for me in, like, 15 seconds.
They've also made nut butters, soups, ice cream, sorbet, and such... I don't know that they've made just plain juice, though. I'll have to ask.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by portabella

Oatmeal..

I have wanted to buy a juicer for ever but I always kind of thought that the Vitamix was the ulitmate. Have you looked into it at all...I know that it is incredibly expensive although you can get used ones from their site and ebay. But it makes ice cream, and soup and flour, nut butters, smoothies, juice all in the one machine. But it doesn't extract anything it uses the whole fruit/vegetable...I just wondered what people thought about the Vitamix as it has always been my dream to own one
Basically the VitaMix is a glorified blender. I think both (Champ and Vitamix) are good for certain things. The VitaMix is good for fruit "juices", which the Champ can do too, but it also can do certain veg. juices better.

For instance, not many people like the carrot "juice" of the VM (it has all the fiber in it, making it taste like there is sawdust in the juice). The carrot juice of the Champ is perfect.

OTOH, it may be better to use a VM for 'juicing' tomatoes, strawberries, etc. as it's not really necessary to extract the pulp there...

For a lot of articles, see this link:

http://www.discountjuicers.com/information.html

(there's even a Champ vs. VitaMix article)

Probably the ultimate would be to own both...

I think the champ is the best appliance you can get for under $200, and that's why I'm considering to get it. I haven't seriously considered the VM because of the price...

DISCLAIMER: i have not used either machines, but I invested considerable time in research...

·
Registered
637 Posts
I told my mother I wanted a champ for my 18th birthday. That's three months away, but I can wait.

Btw, does anyone know how many pieces of fruit it would take to make an 8 oz. glass of juice? Mom is convinced it's going to take several pieces of fruit to make one glass, and she keeps talking about how expensive fruit is...
(please forgive me for rolling my eyes at my mother, it just seemed appropriate
)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.