VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would fasting be a good idea to try and regulate hunger, as it would shrink the stomach to a "normal" size if it was larger than normal? How long would be adequate, abuot 5 days?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Oh dear... should we wait for Krista to get here???<br><br><br><br>
Keegan, I think that given your history with anorexia (only recently beginning to recover) that fasting would be a very, very, very bad idea. Please don't. Giving yourself more time to adjust to regular, healthy eating habits will eventually help to regulate your hunger. It just takes time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
THAT'S CRAZY TALK!! DON'T FAST FOR 5 DAYS!! (or at all)<br><br><br><br>
Not that fasting for a day or two is so unhealthy. Now I'm going to be frank and I hope you'll excuse me if I come across as insensitive, but I don' t think your reason for fasting is very good at all; also I think that your even thinking this displays an unhealthy mentality towards food.<br><br><br><br>
You should eat everyday. You should eat at least 3 full meals every day. If you starved yourself for 5 days you wouldn't be able to move come the third day, I bet.<br><br><br><br>
Answer me this.... If you eat "normal" portions at each meal and a "normal" number of meals each day then why would your stomach be any bigger than "normal"? You should never feel you have to starve yourself. N - E - V - E - R ever ever ever ever. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD thoughts. Don't think 'em.<br><br><br><br>
Exercise and eat right(healthily and not to excess) and you should have no problem. Try walking for a 1/2 hour to an hour, 4-6 days a week if you don' t already.<br><br><br><br>
If you eat alot of crap, you'll look and feel like crap. If you eat mostly healthily, you'll look and be healthy<br><br><br><br>
Hope that wasn't too much of a rant, but your original post really shocked me and I just let it flow.<br><br><br><br>
rigmarole

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Keegan, dude, have you gone nuts? You are not allowed to fast. All fasting is going to do is bring you back to the anorexic state of mind and relapse bad habits. YOU DON'T WANT THAT. The issue here is not about the size of your stomach; it is about your disgruntled relationship with food. Until you eat properly - moderation, sensibly, when hungry- each day, you will continue to have issues with food. Please don't fast.<br><br>
lovenlight,<br><br>
linz

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
in one word - NO!!!!!!! I think fasting would be a <b>very</b> bad idea. Listen to what the others are saying. It would be one thing if you were eating junk foods and stuffing yourself with mcdonalds cheeseburgers, fries and such. But you eat very healthy foods - fruits, vegetables, grains and you should continue to do so.

·
Registered
431 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by freemouse</i><br><br><b>*waving a solid frying pan like mad and chasing keegan*</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
How many times have I told you.... you'll put someone's eye out like that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
All I have to say is /sigh. Thank God that I didn't read this before everyone else. Their comments helped calm me down.<br><br><br><br>
First off, shrinking your stomach requires surgery. Simple as that. Eating less doesn't shrink your stomach; it has the same capacity. You've simply gotten used to it not being as full.<br><br><br><br>
Second, no doctor or therapist would allow you to fast. I'm not allowed to fast. THINK about it - *I* am not allowed to fast. *I* have to get permission to lose weight from a doctor. I'm considered recovered and my doctor won't let me without talking to her about my objectives.<br><br><br><br>
Third, fasting is starvation. It's a nice and socially acceptable word for starvation.<br><br><br><br>
Now, for general comments.<br><br><br><br>
WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU???? Friggin' go to the hospital and check yourself in because you are not getting worse. You are sick. Do you understand what that means? You are ill. You need help.<br><br><br><br>
We cannot give you the attention and validation that you want and crave. You will never be happy until you get help. You need help. We cannot give it to you.<br><br><br><br>
Get off your ass and do something about this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to agree with Krista and Bethanie about you needing some serious psychological help. I have been there and done that. YOU ARE IN DENIAL!!! Have you ever been to a shrink before? I saw one for 10 years, plus I was in hospital for anorexia for 5 months. I think it is demented of you to ask all of these people how to destroy yourself. I am really disturbed by your posts Keegan and I for one, will not contribute to your obsession. I hope one day that someone or something can get through to you so that you can live a happy life. P.S. stop reading the "raw and living foods" thread. You will just make yourself more crazy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ok, I'm not done yelling.<br><br><br><br>
I am pissed off. It is unfair of you to use us like this. I have stopped answering your questions because you are not willing to take the steps to get well. You always have an excuse. You always say what we want to hear, so that we'll like you again, and then you fall back into it.<br><br><br><br>
You keep trying to get attention from us. This is ridiculous. Get attention from a doctor and train personel.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Fasting is hampering you immune response, otherwise people with severe rheumatoid arthritis wouldn´t benefit.<br><br>
Don´t do it!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ok I understand everyone being mad at Keegan for this...well obessession but do we really need to be so nasty?<br><br><br><br>
If she is on here looking for 'attention' she obviously needs help. Putting her down and calling her insane isn't going to help. I didn't see anyone reinforcing the fact that the she has managed, so far, to prevent a relapse - i.e. congratulations, you don't need this you're doing fine?<br><br><br><br>
Geeze, I know when I was at my worst with the big A it was all bout my self esteem or lack of it and outbursts like I've seen here certainly wouldn't have helped. The best thing we can all do is camly explain facts to Keegan, give her some links, or info and reinforce the positives.<br><br><br><br>
K?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Keegan, we have all talked to you until we were blue in the face. This obviously shows that you are in dire need of professional help, and like we have said so many times, until you get it, this is is never going to end. It wasn't until I read everyone else's replies that I realized how serious this is- fasting IS starvation. People do it for health reasons, for disipline reasons, and it is safe for them. But for you, an anorexic, it is just a return to old ways. I don't care how financially hard up your parents are, you need help. Until you attempt to look for free counseling, attempt to get help, there is nothing we can or should do for you.<br><br>
lovenlight,<br><br>
linz

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Fragile, first off, keegan is a he. As kristab said, we've all known him now for some time. We've asked him to get help for some time. We're not walking into this blind and calling him crazy, we're simply extremely frusterated after months and months of explaining. Keegan does not want to get better. He likes the attention he gets for being ill. He thinks it is what makes him special. We all know he's special and loveable for all sorts of other reasons, but he thinks it's the anorexia that makes him 'important.'<br><br><br><br>
So this is just more attention getting from him...and as has been stated, we've all done this with him before.<br><br><br><br>
B

·
Registered
701 Posts
EDIT: Oops, sorry. While I was concocting this, Krista & Bethanie summed up what I was saying. Here it is anyways.<br><br><br><br>
thefragile -- I know where you're coming from, but some of the people here who came from VegWeb have been working with Keegan (by the way, Keegan is a He) for several months now. I've only been aware of his problem since November or December of 2002, but there are some who have known him for even longer I believe. Some of the members have spent a lot of time reading his posts and thoughtfully responding. We have seen him get better. We were there when he first talked to his parents, when he went to a nutritionist, etc.<br><br><br><br>
I know that recovery is a long process with lots of ups and downs, but I think everyone's frustration comes from the fact that Keegan heavily relies on help & responses from members here when what he really needs is more professional attention. I think he has received a lot of praise and encouragement from folks here, but as others have stated, we are not doctors or psychologists and not thoroughly equiped to serve as his main support system. He was doing really well for a while and now seems to be having a great deal of difficulty, but instead of getting more professional help, he simply posts here more frequently. And it seems to me that veggieboards is actually counterproductive to him, since he is trying to use the inofrmation here to worsen his illness (i.e. asking about fasting, reading Raw & Living Foods, etc).<br><br><br><br>
Everyone here really cares about Keegan, and that's why they want him to get better.

·
Registered
119 Posts
what's with all the yelling? i wouldn't want someone to be yelling at me if i were in this situation. lets try to be a little more understanding perhaps?<br><br><br><br>
apparently keegan, you've been anorexic before. hopefully you've learnt that skinny isn't necessarily healthy but being vegan is extremely healthy. think about how low your cholesterol level is compared to all of your omni friends. plus having a diet the way we do you shouldnt miss a day of yummy vitamins and stuff or you'll get behind and it just turns out bad, believe me. also, if you've ever watched survivor you'd know that if you dont eat anything for days and then try to eat a normal sized or even small meal, you will throw up b/c your stomach cant handle it after that long. if you want to cut down on weight or something, the best way is to have small meals throughout the day, like breakfast (bowl of cereal n soymilk w/ glass of oj) and then mid morning snack (tofu smoothie) then lunch (whatever you normally eat for lunch) then some trail mix in the middle of the afternoon and then whatever for dinner. this keeps your motabolism (sp?) going the whole day while still making you fell healthy and happy cause you ate everything you needed to. just listen to what your body tells you and not the little voice inside your head. stop eating when youre not hungry. eat if youre hungry (really hungry, not just craving)<br><br><br><br>
it might not be as simple as that for you, and im really sorry if none of this has helped at all. i had to do a school fair project on eating disorders this year and they make me cry just like animal cruelty does so please dont fast. i was thinking about doing it too and my friends wouldnt let me. they always made sure i ate something. pm me if u need to talk.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts