VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently watched a doc. called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" about this guy who goes on a 60 day juice fast to cure his ailments and eliminate all his medications. He was completely successful and lost 100 pounds in the process. It was inspiring enough to motivate me to try it. So I'm going to!
I'm going to start off with a 10 day fast and If I feel I can continue from there, I will. That's if I make it to 10 days of course!

I'm in the process of researching so I had a few questions to any juicers:

Have you ever tried a juice fast? If so, for how long?

How difficult (or easy) did you find sticking to it was?

Why did you fast and were you successful in accomplishing your goals?

What would you say were the pros and cons? (Physically, mentally)

Any go-to recipes? (I've ordered a couple of books, but first hand experience is always better in my opinion, and usually much more cost effective than trial and error.)

What about the pulp? Any suggestions as to what to do with it? I have a dehydrator (that I've never used) so I was thinking fruit leather, but not sure if this would work?

Anything else you'd like to add (aside from trying to talk me out of the fast) that I may have missed, would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
>60 day juice fast

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

>60 day juice fast

please don't be an idiot.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
there are no medically proven studies saying that fasting is beneficial in the least for people, in fact, you'll mess up your metabolism big time...it's the same effect as a crash diet with a significant drop in calories, leading to a large weight loss, which won't be fat loss, it'll be fluid and muscle loss, as you lose muscle first during starvation mode. Then, you'll gain it all back and probably more when you resume eating. It doesn't take more than a couple of days to change your metabolism and slow it down significantly, and it takes a lot of work to raise it up and get it going again.

If you want to add smoothies or juice drinks to a REGULAR, HEALTHY diet, that is free from processed foods/HFCS/refined sugars/fillers/artificial colors and preservatives, that's great, but extended fasting isn't good for the body, although you probably won't die from 10 days of it. If you eat a purely clean diet with lots of fiber, leafy greens, fruits and veggies, you're body will take care of itself and clean it out on it's own. I can't imagine the person's body after 60 days. he lost more weight than a pound per day....I will bet my life on it, he really wasn't that healthy when he finished, because his body was in ketosis.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

please don't be an idiot.
it was irresistible, well anyhow, juice fasting is not something that I would advice although it's not something that I would discourage your from either.

for what purpose are you doing it?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

it was irresistible, well anyhow, juice fasting is not something that I would advice although it's not something that I would discourage your from either.

for what purpose are you doing it?
I'm going for more of a detox. Also, trying to my digestive system a rest and incorporating a mega boost of vitamins and minerals into my body.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

there are no medically proven studies saying that fasting is beneficial in the least for people, in fact, you'll mess up your metabolism big time...it's the same effect as a crash diet with a significant drop in calories, leading to a large weight loss, which won't be fat loss, it'll be fluid and muscle loss, as you lose muscle first during starvation mode. Then, you'll gain it all back and probably more when you resume eating. It doesn't take more than a couple of days to change your metabolism and slow it down significantly, and it takes a lot of work to raise it up and get it going again.

If you want to add smoothies or juice drinks to a REGULAR, HEALTHY diet, that is free from processed foods/HFCS/refined sugars/fillers/artificial colors and preservatives, that's great, but extended fasting isn't good for the body, although you probably won't die from 10 days of it. If you eat a purely clean diet with lots of fiber, leafy greens, fruits and veggies, you're body will take care of itself and clean it out on it's own. I can't imagine the person's body after 60 days. he lost more weight than a pound per day....I will bet my life on it, he really wasn't that healthy when he finished, because his body was in ketosis.
As I mentioned in my original post, I'm not looking to be talked out of it, but I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:

I'm going for more of a detox. Also, trying to my digestive system a rest and incorporating a mega boost of vitamins and minerals into my body.
mega boost?

your body only has a certain need for vitamins and minerals.

more than that would probably be a waste.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
but that's why it's not healthy for you. you CAN detox your body without fasting, just by eating the same foods whole, and eating a proper number of calories. I hate hearing how people do long detoxes when it's detrimental to their body.

If you're still going to, good luck, but be careful when you experience drops in blood sugar and energy levels.

how many calories a day are you figuring on consuming?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

mega boost?

your body only has a certain need for vitamins and minerals.

more than that would probably be a waste.
Oh ok doctor Envy.
Without the need for digestion, your body is going to absorb these nutrients more efficiently, so I guess "mega boost" wasn't exactly what I meant.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

but that's why it's not healthy for you. you CAN detox your body without fasting, just by eating the same foods whole, and eating a proper number of calories. I hate hearing how people do long detoxes when it's detrimental to their body.

If you're still going to, good luck, but be careful when you experience drops in blood sugar and energy levels.

how many calories a day are you figuring on consuming?
Aiming around 1000-1200

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
are you a guy? (I'm assuming since you have the son of a.... under your screen name) .....WAYYYYY too few calories for a guy to sustain the muscle mass you have, compared to a woman.

Even a 1000 calories a day for a woman is low.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

are you a guy? (I'm assuming since you have the son of a.... under your screen name) .....WAYYYYY too few calories for a guy to sustain the muscle mass you have, compared to a woman.

Even a 1000 calories a day for a woman is low.
Nope, female. I eat about 1400 regularly, so 1200 isn't a stretch. AND IT'S ONLY for 10 days. So if you have any experience with juicing or juice fasts, any of your input would be appreciated, but if you haven't tried it then, don't knock it?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
nope, I wouldn't do it to my body.....I'm just fine with the whole foods I eat. I am approaching this from the medical aspect, not any prebiases about juicing btw.....

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Quote:

Are you assuming that the juice feast is less than 2,000 calories per day here or what is your assumption?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Quote:

Nope, female. I eat about 1400 regularly, so 1200 isn't a stretch. AND IT'S ONLY for 10 days. So if you have any experience with juicing or juice fasts, any of your input would be appreciated, but if you haven't tried it then, don't knock it?
Oh, I didn't see the second page before I saw the result of Photojess's previous assumption about the caloric intake. I agree that if you're doing juicing, it should be 1,800-2,000 calories per day, and I'm not quite sure why you're only eating 1,400 calories normally.....I know you didn't ask for advice on that, but just saying.....are you inactive or something?

I did a three-day juice feast, but I was already raw vegan by then. I don't recommend it if you are any bit active. I prefer a whole-foods raw diet with maybe one juice (green juice) per day. I didn't notice any benefit of the juice feast over eating a regular raw vegan diet with lotsa fruit and fresh greens (and enough calories).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I'm fairly inactive. Trying to kick start some life changes and eliminate sugar, dairy, unnecessary fat addictions. Im slowly working my way up to the fast. I'll start by replacing snacks with juice, then one meal at a time until I'm only consuming juice, then fast for as long as I can tolerate it. The reason for juice over just raw is the fact that I wouldn't be able to consume the same amounts of fruits and veg in raw form as I would in juice form. Plus it's going to be a great exercise in discipline, which I need. Maybe I'll bump up the calorie intake, though. I suppose 1000 a day is pushing it.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:

And you're going to be going about your daily life? When i fast with juice, or sometimes just water, I take days off work and just lay in bed reading books or watching films.

I don't know, I don't like it when people do juice or water fasts and go about daily life. You need to rest when you do these things. Even if you get enough calories.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Oh, I didn't see the second page before I saw the result of Photojess's previous assumption about the caloric intake. I agree that if you're doing juicing, it should be 1,800-2,000 calories per day, and I'm not quite sure why you're only eating 1,400 calories normally.....I know you didn't ask for advice on that, but just saying.....are you inactive or something?

I did a three-day juice feast, but I was already raw vegan by then. I don't recommend it if you are any bit active. I prefer a whole-foods raw diet with maybe one juice (green juice) per day. I didn't notice any benefit of the juice feast over eating a regular raw vegan diet with lotsa fruit and fresh greens (and enough calories).
2000 calories is for men, that's a huge amount for a normal woman, i'm supposed to have like 1400 regularly, and to very slowly lose weight 1200.

I don't have any experience with a juice fast, but i do with not eating lol, after the third day it's easier. Btw your bodies metabolism will slow and it will most likely be water loss, but your body first eats the fat not the muscle, a lot of people think that and are told that to scare them, but it's not true, from a biological standpoint it would not even make any sense, your body knows to go after the fat first to keep you alive.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:

I'm in the process of researching so I had a few questions to any juicers:

Have you ever tried a juice fast? If so, for how long?
Yes, many, for anywhere from one day to ten. I've also done a 31 day water only fast. I do tend to think of juice programs as feasts rather than fasts.

Quote:

How difficult (or easy) did you find sticking to it was?
It becomes easier with experience, because you know what to expect. I have an iron will though.

Quote:

Why did you fast and were you successful in accomplishing your goals?
Yes, every time. I've never dowen it for weight loss though. Even when I went on the month long water fast, I only lost 20 pounds.

Quote:

What would you say were the pros and cons? (Physically, mentally)
Honesty, no cons, physically or mentally. I had one day in the midst of the water fast in which I felt compelled to lie down for about 15 minutes, and that was all I needed. I carried on with my regular work for the duration.

Quote:

Any go-to recipes? (I've ordered a couple of books, but first hand experience is always better in my opinion, and usually much more cost effective than trial and error.)
One of my favorites is apple-beet-ginger-lemon. I also make sure to have a very green juice each day too, full of kale, celery, and cucumber. Experiment with flavoring these green juices with a little bit of onion or garlic.

Always dilute them with water too, about three parts of water to one part of juice.

Quote:

What about the pulp? Any suggestions as to what to do with it? I have a dehydrator (that I've never used) so I was thinking fruit leather, but not sure if this would work?
I just composted it.

Quote:

Anything else you'd like to add (aside from trying to talk me out of the fast) that I may have missed, would be great. Thanks!
Don't be scared, and don't talk to people about it, or they will largely just discourage you, out of fear, ignorance, and inexperience. I never bothered to tell anyone while I was in the process, and all I ever got were questions about what I was doing to make my complexion look so good. If I'd let them know, they would have had a very different reaction.

And be sure to take it slowly when you break your fast. Eat moderate amounts of very juicy fruits and vegetables at first, and if you don't have a bowel movement by the end of the first day of breaking your fast, you may want to try a gentle herbal laxative.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts