VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone watch these?

I, unfortunately watched the first episode of both, which then lead to me undoubtedly watching every other episode. Its unfortunate because I get so sucked in that I CANT miss it hehe.

Anyway, thank goodness they are both done so my Mondays and Wednesdays no longer have such restrictions, but since I DID watch all of them, I was wondering if anyone else did? Anyone wish to discuss
? Or were my gf and I the only ones to watch all of these 2 shows :\\

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I haven't got any idea what this is all about.

I'm still not completely "clean" from watching TV, but limit it to one or two hours a month.

I feel "liberated.

Maybe some day I will be able to be TV-free

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a really brief bio of the shows.

"Joe Millionaire": This is a reality show, meaning real people, real lives. 25 girls all started off competeing for the love of one guy who just inherrited $55 million! Through the weeks he votes off the girls he doesnt like and slowly cuts the # of girls all the way to 1, where he hopes she wants him too and they start a relationship. They spend 6 weeks in a castle in France, doing all kind of rich people things, boat rides, private jets here and there, pricate shows, the good life... Heres the catch.... He really didnt inherit $55 million. He makes $19,000 a year as a construction worker and the goal of the show is to see whatever girl he picks if she likes him for love or if it was the money.

"Bachlorette": Reality show as well, 25 guys competeing for the love of 1 girl. Same deal, she slowly votes off the guys she doesnt like and gets down to her #1 guy that she wants to get engaged too. No sick twists here though, no money issues and what not, she just gets to know them and picks.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I watched both. It's a dirty pleasure.

I can't believe she picked Ryan. No one thought that would happen. And Zora "won"*, too. Happy ending for both shows.

*Not sure if Evan is much of a prize, but the money is!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I didn't watch either show.

I think the money angle and the deception involved make "Joe Millionaire" revolting.

So, who were the advertizers on these shows? Remind me not to buy their products.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like everyone who could afford a commercial had adds during Joe Millionaire. The ratings for the last episode, the 2 hour special had higher ratings then the Oscars last year. It was insane, almost like 20 million viewers or something.

And yes, I dont even think its possible Evan could have come off more dumb then he did. It was also an added bonus that like 10 of the girls noticed him stearing at their chest, very smooth Evan!

I was much more pleased with the ending of Bachlorette, from what the interviews say, Ryan and Trista are still together or whatever and it has to have been at least 4 months or so since the last episode was taped. I know Joe Millioanire ended during Thanksgiving about so I think this one would too. Given 6 months total isnt a lot, it seemed that something might come of it at least

Those shows are addictive as hell though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know you don't agree j fizzle but ryan was so creepy. i like the sweet romantic type but he was way off. he had those eyes where if he looks at you you might feel he's undressing you right there. i don't know, that's just me.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe

I didn't watch either show.

I think the money angle and the deception involved make "Joe Millionaire" revolting.

So, who were the advertizers on these shows? Remind me not to buy their products.
It would've been more revolting if the girls actually acted like they loved him, or hell, even liked him. They mostly just wanted to stay in the chateau. None really seemed interested in Evan. (except maybe Mojo).

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

It would've been more revolting if the girls actually acted like they loved him, or hell, even liked him. They mostly just wanted to stay in the chateau. None really seemed interested in Evan. (except maybe Mojo).
Hmmn, I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

What was the point if there wasn't even any mutual attraction or liking? That just makes the whole thing seem really dumb, as well as deceptive and revolting.

Oh, well. I suppose we will have an endless series of these "Who wants to Marry a Millionaire?" and "Joe Millionaire" sham shows as long as they bring in ratings and advertizing dollars.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Coisettebleu

i know you don't agree j fizzle but ryan was so creepy. i like the sweet romantic type but he was way off. he had those eyes where if he looks at you you might feel he's undressing you right there. i don't know, that's just me.
I didn't find him creepy, but his romanticism was more than I could have taken. Does this guy ever run out of sap?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe

Oh, well. I suppose we will have an endless series of these "Who wants to Marry a Millionaire?" and "Joe Millionaire" sham shows as long as they bring in ratings and advertizing dollars.
Bingo
And the trend right now is those types of shows = very high ratings.

On another note, anyone see that SUPER lame show after Bachlorette last night? Called "Im a Celebrity, Get me out of Here!" or something like that...

Its garbage, I cant even type what its about its so sad, but its one I will luckily be able to avoid~

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I expected the ending of Joe Millionaire to be much trashier than it was. They set it up to make it seem like these women would be exposed as gold-diggers, but they ended the series to make it look like Zora's fairy tale. The "surprise twist" was lame - a check for one million dollars to split between Evan and Zora, which isn't a lot when you consider how much money FOX made off this show. Evan and most of the girls are aspiring actors/models, so they at least got the publicity they wanted.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
although I do watch American Idol, and so I've been subjected to endless Joe Millionaire promos, commercials, etc.

I also saw promos for the next big show, and it looks really awful. It's called "Married By America" and people will have to get actually, legally married, with the pairings decided by America's votes.

Maybe it's hypocritical of me to speak out against reality television when I like American Idol (although I view that as more of a sort of interactive Star Search than reality trash), but I think it's getting out of hand.

I agree with Joe, though, as long as it makes money, they're going to keep going with this show model.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
I watched Joe Millionaire even though I didn't particularly enjoy it. It was one of those shows I kind of played in the background while online. Zora was the one I liked best from the first show so it was nice to see her "win". That guy is dumb as a brick and no personality though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.