VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has a job that means they have to work/deal with meat at all. My old job (I worked on a delicatessen) - meant that I had to serve meat (hams, pates, chickens... etc) on a daily basis. I found it really hard - not so much the fact that I was so close to meat, but how I had to be nice to these customers when I didn't agree with what they were buying. The worst part was the cooked chickens - it was like putting them in bodybags when I bagged them up. Any we didn't sell at the end of the day had to be thrown away, meaning that the animal died not even to be eaten, but just to be thrown in the bin like a piece of rubbish.

So, has anyone else had a job like this? What was it and how did you deal with it?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I haven't had a job yet, but it sounds like you had a pretty nasty one at that deli. What do you do now, if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
501 Posts
So much is wasted in the world today. I used to work at Burger King for nearly two and a half years. If a sandwich was made accidently and no customers ordered that same sandwich within ten minutes, it was thrown away. The rule was it couldn't be given away because it had to be included in the inventory (managers went through the garbages and kept track). Sure, this prevented employees making 'mistakes' for free food, but it's bloody disgusting. I'm so glad to have gotten rid of that job, and will never work with meat again.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Gah. I worked in a Deli myself for a little more than a year. I'm so glad to be away from that nastiness and the people who ate it.

I don't ever want to be in foodservice again. *shudder*

·
Registered
330 Posts
I work at a personal care home, in the kitchen. It was awkward at first, but since I don't have to touch it, it's not so bad anymore. I just have to take the plate to the person, so I've learned to get by with it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I work at a Wendy's and I have to touch meat every time I work. Its gross and upsetting but if I don't learn new positions then I won't get as many hours. I find myself apoligizing a lot to the grill when I lay poor cow carcass. I also have to make sure we have enough chicken and bacon for the sandwich makers. I do answer any questions that come my way as to why I don't eat at work. I don't think they appreciate when I say things like , "One murdered defensless animal that was skinned alive coming up!" or "Hot crispy chicken that was pumped full of antibiotics and tortured for its entire existance just for you." I point out at the end of the day the grease buckets when I am training someone and tell them about how that is what they are eating. I find it very ironic that right now we have Charlottes Webb toys for the kids meals. If they order a kids meal burger I give the kid a cow and when they order ham and cheese they get Wilbur and so forth. I hope the child connects that they are eating that cute little toy animal that they got.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebecarrot View Post

I work at a Wendy's and I have to touch meat every time I work. Its gross and upsetting but if I don't learn new positions then I won't get as many hours. I find myself apoligizing a lot to the grill when I lay poor cow carcass. I also have to make sure we have enough chicken and bacon for the sandwich makers. I do answer any questions that come my way as to why I don't eat at work. I don't think they appreciate when I say things like , "One murdered defensless animal that was skinned alive coming up!" or "Hot crispy chicken that was pumped full of antibiotics and tortured for its entire existance just for you." I point out at the end of the day the grease buckets when I am training someone and tell them about how that is what they are eating. I find it very ironic that right now we have Charlottes Webb toys for the kids meals. If they order a kids meal burger I give the kid a cow and when they order ham and cheese they get Wilbur and so forth. I hope the child connects that they are eating that cute little toy animal that they got.
I couldn't work there. Even when I was an omni, I avoided fast food jobs in high school. I worked at a movie theater after school instead, and later moved on to better paying jobs in college and beyond.

--Fromper

·
Registered
349 Posts
Someone tried to get me a job at KFC. I said I wasn't interested but they kept on about how it's a start etc., then I told them I couldn't out of principle of being a veggie. They shut up straight away then.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I should get a job soon, the jobs I have been offered are at a bagel/coffee place that sells bacon, and other types of meat; a job at some expensive, teenage type store that sells leather and fur and a job at an ice cream store. Why is it so hard to find a job suitable vegan teen?!

hebecarrot- That must be so hard to deal with everyday! I start to get angry if I just walk into a Burger King!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliex1122 View Post

I should get a job soon, the jobs I have been offered are at a bagel/coffee place that sells bacon, and other types of meat; a job at some expensive, teenage type store that sells leather and fur and a job at an ice cream store. Why is it so hard to find a job suitable vegan teen?!

hebecarrot- That must be so hard to deal with everyday! I start to get angry if I just walk into a Burger King!
Wendy's works well with my school schedule, they give me a lot of hours, and the work is simple. It only gets hard when I start to realize what I am doing.
Or when I have to work grill for more than a few hours then I start to get really cynical and my mood goes downhill. I hate it when I have to clean out the meat well because blood pools there. Its really upsetting but I'm starting to harden myself to it. My last job I actually had to slice porkchops and I fainted. So I hope I can steel my heart.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia View Post

I haven't had a job yet, but it sounds like you had a pretty nasty one at that deli. What do you do now, if you don't mind my asking?
Well I say 'old job'.. this was only last week that I quit
I worked there for 3 years, but now I'm going to Australia on Saturday to travel and work for a while and get away from rainy England.
When I first started there, I worked on the patisserie counter, which wasn't as bad

Quote:
So much is wasted in the world today. I used to work at Burger King for nearly two and a half years. If a sandwich was made accidently and no customers ordered that same sandwich within ten minutes, it was thrown away. The rule was it couldn't be given away because it had to be included in the inventory (managers went through the garbages and kept track). Sure, this prevented employees making 'mistakes' for free food, but it's bloody disgusting. I'm so glad to have gotten rid of that job, and will never work with meat again.
I agree, the amount we wasted was ridiculous. I hate wasting anything, so throwing things away all the time went totally against my principles. We couldn't even give it to charity in case we got sued...

That 10 minute rule sounds crazy, what a total waste!!

Quote:
Lol Hebecarrot, I always found myself thinking things like that! It got to me that the more I sold, the more animals would have to die, so I always tried to slice the ham as thinly as possible etc. Not sure if it would have made any difference but.. meh.

Quote:
Gah. I worked in a Deli myself for a little more than a year. I'm so glad to be away from that nastiness and the people who ate it.

I don't ever want to be in foodservice again. *shudder*
Whereabouts was that? You do get some fussy customers. My colleague once asked a customer how she would like some ham sliced, and the woman replied: "thick, like you". He just got on with it and sliced it, but I would have refused... people seem to think those in the retail industry are just there to serve them, no politeness required...

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliex1122 View Post

You won't find a vegan job. Maybe once you get out into a real career, and even then it's unlikely to be 100% vegan, but definitely not as an after school job for a teen. Just find something that's only minimally non-vegan and live with it. The bagel/coffee place might not be bad, as long as you don't personally have to cook the bacon. But just serving stuff when there's not a lot of meat might not be that bad. Or the ice cream store, even though you know the cows had to suffer, at least you're not dealing with pieces of dead animals.

--Fromper

·
Registered
23 Posts
I worked in a maufactured meat/processing facility for a few years. I operated a machine to make one of their products, as well as being a workplace health & safety rep. I still miss my workmates and gained a lot of good job opportunities there.

I became a vegetarian while working there and seeing what went into the products. I didn't work in the section where they slaughtered the animals, although I had a guided tour and sometimes got transferred over there when work was scarce in my section. I never worked on the kill floor, but I knew about the process.

I made a good product, I got paid well, and I made a difference to the safety and wellbeing of my coworkers (my friends), including my boss. We learnt what teamwork and comradeship were about and they gave me a chance to prove my worth in the workplace. I still keep contact with my old friends.

I gained valuable training and courses that I would not have otherwise gained, so I am grateful for that, rather than turn my nose up in disgust at the workplace. This may sound foreign to some, but I can now move on in my career and move away from the meat industry on good pay rates.

It sure beat the hell outta flipping burgers at Macca's for penniless rates and low hours! Now I am moving on to make a real difference, with the thought that a job is a job, I wasn't there to taste the stuff. And I made a DAMN good product!

As I understand it firsthand now, I speak from experience rather than head knowledge alone. I wouldn't have it any other way. And carnivores tend to sit down and shut up when they realise that you KNOW. Maybe a little more than they do.

I don't have an ivory tower existence, but it beats being out of work, and a burden on others.

Am I different? Hell Yeah!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts