VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am almost 25 and really begining to wonder where to go with my life. i am always hitting dead ends and right now still trying to finish my program with animal behavior college for dog training. i really dont want to be a trainer, i took it for knowledge to know and to maybe train here and there. i dont to do vet anything so what else is there? do you need degrees? if so what schools offer them and if no, how do i get involved?

·
Registered
590 Posts
i am in the same boat. i am taking a general course to bring up sciences, to take vet tech hopefully in septemer. but like, where from there? i would like to hear of other VBer's working with animals, and how to get there

·
Registered
898 Posts
There was a little thread about animal careers a bit ago.

here it is:

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&highlight=zoo

I used to work in the animal field. I worked at a cat shelter and at the zoo. I put alot of stuff in this thread above so instead of retyping everything. I just put the link.

I can try to answer some questions you might have. whether or not you need a degree depends on what sort of work you want to do. Your animal behavior knowledge will come in handy for any animal job you might be interested in.

There are some books on Careers with Animals that might help you.

I got my job at the zoo even before I was finsihed with my degree (BS in Psych - Animal Behavior). Oh, any sort of experience you have working w/animals is great!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
What is it you're wanting to do?

I think Search and Rescue would be a very cool career. Hell any type of career where dogs are my coworkers, rather than clients, would be awesome.

I think being an animal cop would be... a very tough job, but something I'd be very into. I don't know if I have the personality type for it though. Even doing undercover dog fighting work for a group like the ASPCA.

There are lots of careers working with non-profit groups, where the pay isn't good but the job is very rewarding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm 17 right now and i know that i want to work with animals helping them. but i don't exacly know what. i was thinking veterinary nursing but am so confused. i have no idea where to start or anything. i need help too.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I didn't see this mentioned in the other career thread either, but there's also pet grooming. Even though I also have degrees in psychology, I'm a groomer now. You can make decent ($30k) to darn good ($300k) money, work with dogs & cats all day, and surprisingly, I do A LOT of charity work & work improving the lives of even pet companions. It's not all (not even 25% really) bows & ribbons & fru-fru nonsense.

Some of my favorite work is done on shelter animals, turning them from neglected, matted, nasty strays into gorgeous dogs that get homes immediately after grooming.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChicken View Post

I didn't see this mentioned in the other career thread either, but there's also pet grooming. Even though I also have degrees in psychology, I'm a groomer now. You can make decent ($30k) to darn good ($300k) money, work with dogs & cats all day, and surprisingly, I do A LOT of charity work & work improving the lives of even pet companions. It's not all (not even 25% really) bows & ribbons & fru-fru nonsense.

Some of my favorite work is done on shelter animals, turning them from neglected, matted, nasty strays into gorgeous dogs that get homes immediately after grooming.
I forgot to mention that I was also an assistant dog groomer! It was fun! It was in my last year of high school so only a part time job. But it was fun. I just did the shampooing and blow drying - the woman who owns the place did all the trimming and fufu bows and doggie pedicures.

Did you go to one of the dog grooming schools or are you self-taught?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

Did you go to one of the dog grooming schools or are you self-taught?
My mother & I own a grooming salon together. She went to grooming school & got her certifications. I "interned" under 2 master groomers for several years. So we have both here! Every day is an adventure, lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well what do I want to do is the question, lol. I DO NOT want a vet career, I thought about it for a bit but after I went to a tour and learned about the program I realized I would not enjoy it. I dont want to work with any sort of slaughter place or anything, no farm type thing. I love dogs mostly. My dog trainer license is "in the process" but I am finding alot of places I applied that rejected me like petco told me they have their own training program anyway. I would LOVE to do what Cesar Millan (dog whisperer does) either as a behavorist ?? (helping dog owners and their dogs) and/or having a place like the dog psychology place. I would also not mind a job at a zoo but I am not sure I am completely passionate for all the zoo animals as much as dogs, doesnt mean I wouldnt love it but I am just unsure. I am still very much thinking of volunteer training for the disaster help stuff. The animal cop might be cool but I tried to volunteer for something like that in my state and I had a hard time walking away from ppl I KNEW were being cruel to their pets.... not sure I would last. I am thinking about the groomer thing, I found a online thing for it from Penn Foster. I heard it was a good place. I am also considering animal nutrition via a at home course. Problem with those is I am not sure at home school things are looked at as well as others. I would not mind doing the psychology major-comparative thing or animal behavoior but I dont see any schools that offer those specific areas. The girl on here told me she made her own way through it, lol so I suppose I could do that. I am not trying to make excuses. I am seriously asking for help because I can no longer just sit and wait. I am looking into things. I have volunteered at a local shelter for a long time now (still not helping me get any jobs) and I am considering going to volunteer with Best Friends in Utah when I get the money saved. I love that group and think it would be helpful to my resume. I am not seeing alot in Minnesota for options, am I just not lookinf or are other states offering more programs? Mostly here I see farm related careers and vet stuff. Two things not of interest to me. Anyway thanks for the help and I am gonna check that book out at borders if I can find it

Melissa

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM03 View Post

Well what do I want to do is the question, lol. I DO NOT want a vet career, I thought about it for a bit but after I went to a tour and learned about the program I realized I would not enjoy it. I dont want to work with any sort of slaughter place or anything, no farm type thing. I love dogs mostly. My dog trainer license is "in the process" but I am finding alot of places I applied that rejected me like petco told me they have their own training program anyway. I would LOVE to do what Cesar Millan (dog whisperer does) either as a behavorist ?? (helping dog owners and their dogs) and/or having a place like the dog psychology place. I would also not mind a job at a zoo but I am not sure I am completely passionate for all the zoo animals as much as dogs, doesnt mean I wouldnt love it but I am just unsure. I am still very much thinking of volunteer training for the disaster help stuff. The animal cop might be cool but I tried to volunteer for something like that in my state and I had a hard time walking away from ppl I KNEW were being cruel to their pets.... not sure I would last. I am thinking about the groomer thing, I found a online thing for it from Penn Foster. I heard it was a good place. I am also considering animal nutrition via a at home course. Problem with those is I am not sure at home school things are looked at as well as others. I would not mind doing the psychology major-comparative thing or animal behavoior but I dont see any schools that offer those specific areas. The girl on here told me she made her own way through it, lol so I suppose I could do that. I am not trying to make excuses. I am seriously asking for help because I can no longer just sit and wait. I am looking into things. I have volunteered at a local shelter for a long time now (still not helping me get any jobs) and I am considering going to volunteer with Best Friends in Utah when I get the money saved. I love that group and think it would be helpful to my resume. I am not seeing alot in Minnesota for options, am I just not lookinf or are other states offering more programs? Mostly here I see farm related careers and vet stuff. Two things not of interest to me. Anyway thanks for the help and I am gonna check that book out at borders if I can find it

Melissa
I would definatley get the books. Sounds like you already know you want to specialize in dogs! That is good! Definately narrows it down!

here is a book that just deal with dog careers - looks like it is older though you might have to order it online if it interests you:

http://www.amazon.com/Careers-Dogs-A.../dp/0764105035

What about something like dog training/obedience, boarding, walking and grooming establishment, doggie boutique!
Dog walkers can make good money - you could offer behavioral training as an additional.
Maybe contact a few places that offer dog walking and see what they have available? maybe you can offer your dog training services to their clients when you finish?

For animal counselor/psychiatrist, I would think you need at least a Bachelors. But I looked at the Cesar Milan site and it doens't relaly mention anything about him having any schooling. Sounds like he learned from books and developed his own theories.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would love to work with dogs, but I can't think of a job where I wouldn't have to either deal with the dogs' owners or the dogs' food. I would get too in the face of anyone not treating their dog as I believe they should and I would not want to have to feed a dog pieces of corpse or something that had corpse in it. That rules out SO MUCH.

·
Banned
559 Posts
i have a degree in environmental science.

i wish i had gone the wildlife biology route (would have been easier applying for jobs) but i have been extremely lucky (i think), getting paid to do sea turtle research, as well as endangered/threatened shorebird research.

i worked at a vet for a while and have volunteered at lots of shelters. i've also worked at nature centers and with the National Park Service doing animal stuff.

I'm about to start a seasonal gig working with some more endangered bird species.

Though my field is mainly seasonal stuff (which i don't mind), it's pretty competitive (argh). But i'm so happy i get to work with animals!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts