VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDUCATION OFFICER VACANCY

Applications are invited for the post of Education Officer.

The successful applicant would report to the Head of Information.
The role is based at our Birmingham office working a 37½ -hour week Monday to Friday but may involve occasional weekend and evening work. Visits to schools and other educational establishments will be required.
The role would be permanent subject to satisfactory completion of a six-month probationary period.

Essential requirements:
Good understanding of the UK school curriculum
Good presentation skills
Ability to write factual but engaging materials for young people
Good telephone manner
Polite and patient
Familiar with email, Word and databases
Good keyboard skills
Good time management
Efficient
Organised
Reliable
Ability to follow instructions without reminders
Ability to produce accurate written work including thorough proof-reading of own work
Good knowledge of vegan issues including products, animals, nutrition, the environment and food security
Good team player

Must adhere to a vegan diet for the duration of employment with The Vegan Society.

Key job functions:
Work on a computer and deal with people on the telephone
Provide factual answers to phone, postal and email queries from educators and young people
Promote our service to schools, universities and youth groups
Arrange and present talks and facilitate debates with young people in schools, youth clubs and other venues. Overnight stays may occasionally be required
Manage and develop a network of school speakers
Work to written deadlines
Write a monthly report
Check and update literature relating to young people ensuring that they are thoroughly referenced and factually accurate
Maintain databases of contacts
Research and write new literature and resources for schools as and when required
Manage the administration of the Local and Group Contacts (UK and Eire)
Maintain and develop the education & learning, young people and Local Contacts sections of the website
Assist other staff as and when required by the line-manager
Work at festivals and exhibitions, which are sometimes at weekends and may require an overnight stay (lieu time off will apply)
Occasionally attend meetings away from the office and represent the Society in a professional manner.

Willingness to drive to events and talks as and when required would be an advantage

Salary scale £14,700 to £16,800 depending on experience.

Closing date for applications: 31 March 2011.

The Vegan Society welcomes diversity amongst its members, officers and
trustees and associated persons and is committed to equal opportunities and
anti-discrimination practice in all areas of its work, including its governing
Council.

Please contact Rosamund Raha, Head of Information, for an application form:
Telephone 0121 523 1739; email [email protected].
The Vegan Society, Donald Watson House, 21 Hylton Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6HJ.

No agencies please

·
Registered
824 Posts
Both hello and goodbye to dream job
Would love, but moving to Birmingham would be too difficult.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hmm didn't know they could specify you had to "adher to a vegan diet" whilst employed by them! I wonder if they do checks haha.

Would love to work for vegan society, or similar, but I don't think they need physicists!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Hmm didn't know they could specify you had to "adher to a vegan diet" whilst employed by them! I wonder if they do checks haha.
I'd qualify otherwise but I do NOT want to move to Birmingham, and I'd fail any surprise fridge inspections as my partner is an omni.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

HEY! Birmingham is a cool city!
I had the worst day of my entire life in Birmingham. I've never gone back, it makes me feel ill thinking about it :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Mouse View Post

I'd qualify otherwise but I do NOT want to move to Birmingham, and I'd fail any surprise fridge inspections as my partner is an omni.
I'm sure they wouldn't base it upon your partner's diet :p

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I had the worst day of my entire life in Birmingham. I've never gone back, it makes me feel ill thinking about it :p
That's a shame. Most people I know enjoy their visit and living there. It has changed a lot since I grew up there when it was old and dirty.

You could always live near a motorway connection and commute - it would take me about 30 mins to get to the Vegan Society, and I live 25 miles away

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I'm sure they wouldn't base it upon your partner's diet :p
I dunno, I've heard that the vegan police are BRUTAL. One guy I know, they hit him so hard in the head with some broccoli that his brain is 90% flower.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
That seems a little odd that you'd only have to adhere to a vegan diet to work for The Vegan Society.

Does that mean you can waltz into work in leather pants and a mink stole and that's cool, but if you drink some tea with honey OMG YOU'RE FIRED?

Weird.

Also, I know nothing about the UK school curriculum. Mostly because I live in the US. But, come to think of it, I know nothing about US school curriculum either.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

That seems a little odd that you'd only have to adhere to a vegan diet to work for The Vegan Society.

Does that mean you can waltz into work in leather pants and a mink stole and that's cool, but if you drink some tea with honey OMG YOU'RE FIRED?

Weird.

Also, I know nothing about the UK school curriculum. Mostly because I live in the US. But, come to think of it, I know nothing about US school curriculum either.
I assume they thought it went without saying :/

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Weird.

It may be more that they don't expect you to get rid of every trace ingredient in your wardrobe etc... I'm guessing the sorts of people this job would attract are the sorts of people who wouldn't wear leather and fur anyway.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well it was a thought provoker until I saw the salary :-( I tick all the boxes in the job and I like Birmingham, but that pay is about 10k too low that role in my eyes.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Race View Post

Well it was a thought provoker until I saw the salary :-( I tick all the boxes in the job and I like Birmingham, but that pay is about 10k too low that role in my eyes.
:O I wish I could say that!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Race View Post

Yea, they should up the salary and make the membership fee £100. I'd go for that.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman_dancing View Post

Yea, they should up the salary and make the membership fee £100. I'd go for that.
What? You'd take the well paid job, but not join as a member?

As a charity, I guess they don't have a lot of spare cash for salaries - and any spare cash they do have, they want to spend on educating people about veganism. I would imagine that for the person who takes this job that it is partly a labour of love, than just a job to them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am indeed a fully paid up member. £15-16k is not a great wage, but you can live on it. And the staff at the Society tend to be good at their jobs and dedicated, so paying any more would just be a waste of money, particularly when charities are losing out at the moment with everyone being broke.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

I am indeed a fully paid up member. £15-16k is not a great wage, but you can live on it. And the staff at the Society tend to be good at their jobs and dedicated, so paying any more would just be a waste of money, particularly when charities are losing out at the moment with everyone being broke.
....which is why I posted the vacancy on this board, hoping that there was someone who would be dedicated enough to the cause to apply, even if they viewed the pay as a little low

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm fairly sure I was agreeing with you and using comedy to highlight an unreasonable request for higher wages from a small-medium sized organisation in a struggling third sector.

Whatever.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:

I would have to disagree with a few of your points there. Plenty of people can live on that wage, but plenty certainly can't. I wouldn't be able to live on 15k unless I sold my house and got my wife to work full time rather than part time. Not all charities are losing out. St Barnabas are growing considerably in my area, and I family member of mine works for another charity that is doing very well and the wages are considerably higher. Those two are both finding as people have less to spend they are looking more to charity shops for bargains, hence their growth in business. As for upping the membership fee by that much, you may just have got your sums a tad out

It would be fantastic if they can get a great person for that money and I wish them all the luck in finding someone, but they are much likely to find someone of a higher callibre if they offered a salary that was even at the lower end of that role type. Dedication is an admirable quality, but you want the employee to also have the best skill set. You are absolutely right to post the vacancy Angie, it's a great idea, as it is putting the ad in the faces of more like minded people, so hopefully they will find a great person and it would be brilliant if it was because of your post

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.