VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, apparently no one saw the Dan Matthews interview. But as part of it they showed an example of a celebrity ad, one that featured Joaquin Phoenix. He was shopping for veggies, looking happy and filling his cart to the brim, accompanied by cheerful music. Then he passed by a row of dead turkeys and other meat; the music became somber and ominous. It was an ad aimed at Thanksgiving, and they had Joaquin saying something about the issue...can't remember exactly, sorry.

Did anyone actually see this ad on television? I've never seen a PETA ad, or any other (except for the one I posted; "Pro-Veg Ad on TV") on television.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I saw the ad on the PETA web site, but not on TV. Pretty good ad though. I think they advertise on MTV mainly? I remember seeing a B52's ad for PETA on TV in the early 90's, I swear it said something about chickens or turkeys being the only animal not worth saving? which is really bizarre and I assume I missed something in my clouded recollection or their sarcasm. Shrug, if anyone remembers that campaign, enlighten me!!

I've seen one or two other pro-veg ads on TV, I think they can only afford to run a few, and typically late at night, in big cities. Better than nothing though.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i've only seen one anti-fur peta ad on Tv. ok, two. One was during a football game (something about pig skin) and the other was the woman with the fur coat who gets clubbed and then they take the coat off of her.

so, i've seen two. I usually don't see them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just tracked down the commercial of Joaquin on PETA's site, I didn't know he did one! I love that guy! I knew he was vegan though, and had been brought up that way.

I wonder what my first Thanksgiving without turkey will be like! So weird to me! But, it's all for the better.

·
Registered
0 Posts
He was just on the show "Good Morning America" this morning. He's adorable. He refused to watch himself when they showed clips of movies, and when they tried to make him think that Diane Sawyer wasn't in since he always hugs her, he hugged Charles Gibson instead.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Aww man! I need to know of his appearances! He was on David Letterman last night, that was a nice surprise! I didn't even know he was going to be on it. He is so funny and doesn't seem too full of himself. Good guy, he seems. Just plain goofy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks nekojen for that PeTA addy. Joaquin, or should I say Kitten, is such a hottie! He seems so...mellow. Not Hollywood cocky at all! I saw a bit on him the other day with Conan. They were talking about his movie Buffalo Soldiers. You know who else is foxy? Cillian Murphy from 28 days later *tongue drops to floor like a cartoon character*

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey now! Strictly Joaquin here!! hehehe, just kidding. Cillian is an attractive guy, but I'm smitten with Joaquin at the moment. He definitely seems mellow. I read somewhere that when he was doing some modelling shoot, he refused to wear Prada shoes because they were made of leather. So he didn't wear them. That is pretty cool when he won't even comprimise his beliefs for an amount of money. Pretty cool. Plus, he was raised as a vegan, so it's been a part of him his whole life.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Joaquin even insisted that his "leather" gear for Gladiator[/i] be fake, and it was made so. Gotta love that.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm a big Joaquin fan, too. Talk about the perfect man: ethical vegan, talented, and cute as hell

Off topic - nekojen, your avatar is SO cute!!!!!

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
mmm, yes....
Joaquin
(or, as my ex-roommate calls him, "joaquinoa" heh heh)

I think the PETA commercial never got aired on TV. I read somewhere that PETA couldn't get any stations to air it. Or that it was banned. Or something like that. In any case, stations refused to air it because it was too "controversial."

amy

·
Registered
0 Posts
What is so controversial about a person advising you not to eat meat? I don't understand that. I think there are far more controversial commercials & tv shows out that there that prove more of a threat than Joaquin telling you not to eat Turkey for Thanksgiving! Or, any of the other ads, for that matter. Geesh.

·
Registered
878 Posts
i never never he was the peta or evevn vegan type

but thats so good !

and the gladiator thing ! aaww yay

never seen any type of non meat or non fur or anything like that in commmercail wise except the wspca comercail

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Feliner,

I believe I know the ad you're talking about. I saw it too. A man was shown in a room doing a badly-coordinated dance. The tagline said "The Funky Chicken. The only animal that isn't worth saving."

I have seen a PETA ad on TV. It was against chaining dogs. I have also seen one against ivory from some other group, and some general ones from the Humane Society. I have seen several spay-neuter PSA's.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nekojen

What is so controversial about a person advising you not to eat meat? I don't understand that. I think there are far more controversial commercials & tv shows out that there that prove more of a threat than Joaquin telling you not to eat Turkey for Thanksgiving! Or, any of the other ads, for that matter. Geesh.
Think about the comercials on TV. A high percentage of them are for food products. Most of these are junk/fast food products that contain meat. If a network airs a comercial that is anti-meat, companies that create meat based products may threaten to withdraw their advertisign and move to another network.

The same thing happened when Greenpeace (or someone like that) aired an anti car comercial.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts