VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really religious, but meals are a communally shared experience and no more so than meals made and eaten to celebrate the Jewish experience.

I was wondering what those of you who are also Jewish typically make for your Rosh Hashana and post Yom Kippur break-the-fast meals. Also, do you make special sabbath meals? What kind of veg*an cholent do you or would you make? Traditionally, cholent (sabbath stew) has meat in it, but a veg*an cholent would be very interesting, indeed.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I make cholent all the time with lentils and potatoes and whatever I have lying around. Its sooooo good. I started making challah with flaxseed, I will find the recipe for you. I dont know what Im cooking this year, prob a "celebration roast" and a bunch of sides.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama884 View Post

I make cholent all the time with lentils and potatoes and whatever I have lying around. Its sooooo good. I started making challah with flaxseed, I will find the recipe for you. I dont know what Im cooking this year, prob a "celebration roast" and a bunch of sides.
I do the same with cholent, a ton of lentils and potatoes!!

I always end up going to the local chabad rabbi's house for high holiday meals, and I never have to worry because his wife is vegan, so I get to be pretty lazy about things actually.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I do the same with cholent, a ton of lentils and potatoes!!

I always end up going to the local chabad rabbi's house for high holiday meals, and I never have to worry because his wife is vegan, so I get to be pretty lazy about things actually.
I usually go to my moms and my vegan sis lives with her so its easy. Now that I have to drag 3 kids back to NY I may start staying home.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Found this online:

Vegan-Friendly Rosh Hashanah Traditions:

On the first day of Rosh Hashanah, a piece of apple is dipped into honey in the hopes of a sweet year. Try substituting agave nectar, brown rice syrup or pure maple syrup in place of the honey. Additionally, various symbolic foods such as dates, pumpkins, leeks, beets and pomegrates are enjoyed during the second day of Rosh Hashanah.

Rosh Hashanah Vegan Recipes:

Whole Wheat Vegan (Eggless) Challah Bread
Mock "Gefilte Fish"
Sprouted Lentil Salad
Jewish Vegan Applesauce Cake
Traditional Falafel
Baked Yam Falafel
Pomegranate Apple Salad
Egg-Free Vegan Potato and Carrot Kugel
Seven-Vegetable Couscous
Carrot and Sweet Potato Tzimmes
Vegan Carrot Spice Muffins
Vegan Fat-Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes
"Honey" Cake (substitute agave nectar for the honey)

Continue reading on Examiner.com Vegan Recipes for Rosh Hashanah - New York vegan | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/vegan-in-new...#ixzz1Ww3Hb0EY

Here's the link: http://www.examiner.com/vegan-in-new...-rosh-hashanah

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I never paid attention to these celebrations and even tho i knew they existed i never was interested until now to learn about them. Thanks for the ideas

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Other than recipes, what other traditions do you guys take part in?

One of my favorite traditions is Tashlich. Are you guys planning on evaluating/changing/doing something special for the new year? I usually try to set one attainable goal for myself, this year it's going to be to save up enough for a down payment on a house I want.

Back on the topic this year, We're (the rabbi's wife and a group of female WWU students) going to be making Raisin Challah, Agave breaded tofu - thing that will end up like Honey breaded chicken, or so we're hoping/expecting, Fried Green beans (I don't care if it's untraditional, it sounds delicious), vegan ambrosia, and a fall squashish salad which we still haven't hammered out the details exactly yet, because we want to serve it in little hollowed out squashes... This is what happens when you have hippie students decide the food!

Any favorite songs? (sorry, I just love all holidays)

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
L'Shanah Tovah Tikatevu

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gut Yontif everyone!

Anyone putting up a sukkah this year? Sukkot is on Oct. 13th.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Gut Yontif everyone!

Anyone putting up a sukkah this year? Sukkot is on Oct. 13th.
Nah, it's easier to just go to the rabbi's house for dinner on sukkot >.> That and I'm in an apartment.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I have a co-worker who is Jewish and her daughter has been vegan for years. I will ask her what she does for these holidays.
Well I asked her and she had nothin'.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

Well I asked her and she had nothin'.
A lot of jews don't really celebrate the holidays.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

A lot of jews don't really celebrate the holidays.
Oh, she does celebrate, which is why I wanted to ask her...that was my poor attempt at being glib. I just meant she didn't come up with any special dishes that she serves for her daughter, so I was disappointed.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

Oh, she does celebrate, which is why I wanted to ask her...that was my poor attempt at being glib. I just meant she didn't come up with any special dishes that she serves for her daughter, so I was disappointed.
Not even apples and Agave nectar!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
May everyone who is fasting, have an easy fast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts