VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to make jello w/o the gelatin, specifically strawberry jello? I know there are products like agar that have gelatanous properties, but has anyone tried it? It is for a recipe for strawberry pizza that includes the jello and I am just trying to find a substitute. Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I could be wrong, but I believe there are plant-based "jelling powders" that work better than agar agar. You can buy flavored ones (like strawberry and cherry), or unflavored ones which you can add to your own fruit juices to make your own "Jello" type desserts. If you go to www.pangeaveg.com they should have some available.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've usd agar several times and it works fine. In fact I've read that in many ways it's propertties are superior to gelatin. One difference between agar and gelatine is agar sets at room temperature. Gelatine needs to be refrigerated to set. I have no idea how well agar would work in your situation though.

How is your "strawberry pizza" made?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There is a vegan jello by "Hain" at health markets; but the best is "Emes." It's hard to find, but "ABC" (Adventist Book and Health Food Centers) always have it. Here is a (U.S.) nationwide locator: 1-800-765-6955.

You can also order it for delivery from "The Mail Order Catalog": 1-800-695-2241; or online: www.healthy-eating.com. They have lots of great veg stuff at the "MOC." You can enter "Emes kosher gelatin" in the Search box or click here:http://www.healthy-eating.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi to see all the flavors.

These jello mixes are superior to "Hain" brand, and for homemade, much better than agar, in my opinion. I don't like agar for gelatin desserts, though, for your recipe, it sounds like it would work okay. I just find the texture wrong for what I know gelatin to be.

And, "Emes" has a variety of flavored jellos, unlike "Hain," which only has Strawberry and orange, and possibly one other. They don't even have lemon or lime! But "Emes" does, and they're even better than real jello. I buy the large size plain gel too for recipes like marshmallows or my own homemade jellos.

Okay, can you tell I like their product?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree. Emes jellos are awesome. We order ours from healthy-eating.com and they're really cheap.

I also get the tiny individual jellos from the Chinese Market. They sometimes come in a big canister. They're great to pack in lunches.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Poesia, I haven't seen those jellos! I've seen agar in small packages...hmmm...I'll have to investigate this further! I love all Asian markets, they have so many gems tucked into the shelves, it just takes some searching. Thanks for the tip.

Wiccanveg, I have yet to find an Indian market near me. There's a "Little India" about an hour's drive away and the one time I decided to make an afternoon of it, the entire city was shut down! Figures...I'm on a mission to find Kala Namak or Sanchal ( Black Salt ). I thought there might be a chance to find it at a Chinese-type Asian market or the Middle Eastern markets I have access to, but, NOT! I'm dying to experiment with it, since it, supposedly adds a distinct "eggy" flavor to recipes. That would be great for use in vegan quiches, scrambles, etc.

Anyone use this?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so excited to find these products. When my baby goes down for his nap I will try and post the recipe for strawberry pizza, but I am pretty sure it isnt vegan, just vegetarian. I will look for it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Strawberry Pretzel Pizza

Mix 3 Tbsp sugar

2 cups crushed pretzels

3/4 cup butter or margarine melted

Press into a pizza pan and bake for about 10 min in a 350 degreee oven. Set aside.

Combine

8 oz cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup powdered sugar

Add 2 cups of whipped topping and spread over crust.

Dissolve a small pkg of strawberry jello in 1 cup boiling water. Ad a 10oz carton of frozen strawberries with juice and spread over the cream cheese layer. Chill until it sets up, shouldnt take but just a little bit as the frozen strawberries and juice will set the jello quicker.

*Note: I have not made this before so I dont know how the kosher gelatin will affect the frozen strawberries or if you use boiling water. I say follow the box directions and add the strawberries.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kosher jello is made without gelatin. "ko-jel" is one brand i see in most supermarkets right next to the regular stuff. they sell all different flavors, and it tastes just like the kind you are used to.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
wow, may be easier to buy the boxed kind. I always made mine with fruit juice and agar agar. it didn't take long, but i was often pureeing frozen fruits, adding juice, mixing it with the agar, and then waiting until it set.

if it's that easy to get vegan "jello" then i should look into it. Not that i eat a lot of jello, but i do when i'm not feeling well! Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.