VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was in Japan last May, I came across these great tofu balls with seaweed and carrots and soybeans in them..
I'm not sure whether they were steamed or fried, but I can't find them here in the US..

Does anyone have a recipe? Or know what I'm talking about? I'm not sure what they're official name is..

thanks!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Here I am.

I'm pretty sure what icicle is talking about is called GAMMO.

Nobody seems to actually make it at home since you can buy it at 7-11

I'll try and find the recipe though (I've never considered making it, but it might be fun). I'll post it when I get it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey I get Gammo burgers-i think they are made by soyarie....

I'm not sure...I will find out and get back to you. There are super good.

I live in Canada so you can get them here-and the burgers are not fried

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dvmarie - thanks!! i never saw them at the convenient stores! only tons of rice balls or triangles.. which i found myself eating too many of.

mm.. gammo (if that is what i'm thinking of..) burgers sound good..

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Please, dvmarie, post the recipe for gammo. Our 7-11s here don't have anything like that at all (it's all they can do to stock sugary/fatty/bad-carb'd [email protected], let alone anything that even hints of being nutritious...).

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You can eat a complete balanced (&veg*n) menu from the 7-11's here. They sell everything from Rice Balls (or "triangles" LoL) to Natto (stinky fermented soybeans that make most westerners gag) - and everything in between (most notably Somen & Soba noodles ready to eat with dipping sauce - yay).

Someone at work today corrected my slang Japanese

GAMMO - is kind of a short name

the actual name is GANMODOKI

I'm going to try to find the recipe (the chef comes in at 11am - if he doesn't know himself - he will be able to find out)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
ganmodoki! yummy! i do this:

mince up some green onions, shred some carrots and ginger, mash some cooked yam, throw in some salt, a bit of oil and rice vinegar and salt. mix this up with some mashed firm tofu until it is a nice thick mixture. you may have to add cornstarch to get it sticky enough to form balls.

roll into balls and deep fry a few at a time, or form into patties and pan-fry in a light coating of oil. delicious!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that sounds really good kreeli! though i'm afraid the yam might make it too sweet for the ones i'm remembering and craving..

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeli

ganmodoki! yummy! i do this:

mince up some green onions, shred some carrots and ginger, mash some cooked yam, throw in some salt, a bit of oil and rice vinegar and salt. mix this up with some mashed firm tofu until it is a nice thick mixture. you may have to add cornstarch to get it sticky enough to form balls.

roll into balls and deep fry a few at a time, or form into patties and pan-fry in a light coating of oil. delicious!
Hey Kreeli I tried this last night and my Japanese hubby loved that !!!! Thanks A TON!!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Kreeli's recipe is pretty right on.

The only thing I would add is to squeeze/press out the water from the tofu - and grate the yam.

Chef says that the meaning of Ganmodoki is: Imitate Meat of Wild Goose

1 - 12 of 12 Posts