VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I found this online:<br><br><br><br>
"There are a number of circumstances that affect whether or how well your jam sets. If your jam does not set, chances are it contains too little pectin. It’s also possible there is an imbalance between the pectin and the acid in your jam. Adding a little lemon juice helps the pectin, and also helps create an environment hostile to bacteria. High humidity in the kitchen can cause problems with jam. Finally, you can defeat the whole purpose of adding pectin if you boil the mixture too long — overcooking causes the pectin to break down and lose its thickening capacity.<br><br><br><br>
People have different perspectives on fixing a jam that does not set. Joan Hassol, author of Well Preserved (Canada, UK) and owner of a jam business of the same name, doesn’t like to add more pectin to a soupy jam. She dumps it all back in the pot, adds a little sugar and lemon juice, and reboils. If it doesn’t set up the second time, she says, she labels it "Pancake Sauce," and moves on to other projects. Other sources advise you to add more pectin and bring the jam to a boil until the setting point is reached. "

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I was just thinking it sounds like a good ice cream topping!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Besides the excellent advice already posted here, if you're using commercial pectin (powder or liquid), make sure it's not expired. I've had jam not set if the pectin is too old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts