VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And it seems really, really beneficial. I see that some people strictly use olive oil as a body/facial cleanser and it works wonders for them. Also, good used as a hair conditioner.
Here is one link:
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/beauty-and-olive-oil

Does anyone use olive oil like this? And what do u think? I'm interested in simplicity, affordability, and that it's vegan.

Edited to add the link I read before posting. Check out the comments:

http://funny-about-money.com/2008/11/14/olive-oil-the-miracle-skin-cleanser/

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK I used it as facial cleanser, wiped it off gently with a warm, warm cloth. It worked wonderfully to remove my mascara. Then I mixed it with vitamin E and lightly spread it on my face to sleep with as a mask. We shall see in the morning.
!
I'm brain-storming essential oil combos to add for fragrance and benefit.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm too afraid to use it. I am prone to break outs.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
In the past there have been several members here who praised using it on their skin and hair. Some used it in replace of shaving gel/cream.

Personally I couldn't do it. I can't stand the feel of oil on my skin. I can't even tolerate lotions that are all greasy and oily.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I have posted a few times about using it as a cleanser/moisturiser & I will never use anything else again as base products. I had such dry skin before & now this is just not a problem. I am also prone to break outs but it doesn't cause any issues in that respect; in fact it definitely helps clear them, plus they just never seem to look as red in the first place. Obviously it can't do anything to stop hormonal spots (what I get sometimes) but it is such a deep cleanser that it will help general bad skin.
The most significant thing I've noticed is my evened out skin tone & the majority of blackheads on my nose have disappeared too.

Anyway, I could probably go on about this forever.....

I just think people should really give this a try; it doesn't feel 'oily' like everyone seems to think it will on the skin. It feels lovely! Also it can be used on acne or acne prone skin. The molecules of evoo are actually smaller than our pores so it is IMPOSSIBLE to block them. Therefore it will not give you spots & it can get right in to the pores to cleanse them. This is why when it is first used it may bring out any spots that are all ready to break out & is also why it's given a bad name....you've got to give it a chance to work, not give up after a few days because it's breaking you out. The long term effects are worth it.

I don't like it on my hair though. My hair is far too thin, it just weighs it down.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

OK I used it as facial cleanser, wiped it off gently with a warm, warm cloth. It worked wonderfully to remove my mascara. Then I mixed it with vitamin E and lightly spread it on my face to sleep with as a mask. We shall see in the morning.
!
I'm brain-storming essential oil combos to add for fragrance and benefit.
I did this a while back and it worked pretty good. Wiping it off with a fairly warm cloth does the trick...takes care of the oily feel.
At the moment I am using a mix of Vitamin E oil and Jojoba oil as a moisturizer for my arms and legs. The oily feel dissipates pretty quickly, I am itching less and my skin is soft.

I think I will try the olive oil again, especially for removing eye makeup!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Thanks to Rags mentioning it, I've been giving it a go. It's amazing at removing eye make up, without using horrible paint stripper type eye make up remover. Fantastic.

So far it is leaving my skin feeling really clean and soft but I've had a few spots come out. Normal for me, I'm going to keep at it see how it goes. It's wonderfully cheap too

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Thank you for clarifying, Rags. So how do you use it? Put it on a cotton ball and swipe it over your face? Do you rinse it off afterwards?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I make a simple hair mask using extra virgin olive oil and half an avocado - just mash up the avocado, mix with the oil and slather it on your head. Leave it for 10 minutes, then shampoo it out like normal. My hair has never felt so soft and shiny!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

i am wondering now about using it as a shower...body...wash...thing? Anyone do that?
I also make a scrub for my friend from olive oil and brown sugar - she loves it, but I much prefer Buffy from Lush.

·
Banned
437 Posts
I don't use it on my face, but I've rubbed olive oil into patches of eczema on my arms and it works wonders on those. I also swallow a teaspoon of it daily (straight; a literal teaspoon) through the dry season of winter, because over time it seems to help with sore, dry skin.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was in frigidly cold air all weekend, drinking and smoking, and I came back and my facial skin was in dry, mottled shambles. So I started searching the internet for solutions, came across olive oil. And here we r.
Yesterday my face looked bed. Dry, wrinkled more, blotchy...this morning, after leaving on my mask? Shiny, moisturized, more even. I'm convinced there is something to this. I put it on again tonight. It must work even better as nights wear on...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've never contemplated using olive oil as a makeup remover or cleanser/toner. I will have to give it a go though I think. The hair mask someone mentioned above sounds good too!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

i am wondering now about using it as a shower...body...wash...thing? Anyone do that?
That's what I'm thinking. I want to get some essiantial oils: mix of yummy personal choices to make a scent that I can mix with my olive oil to make it yummier and lasting.
Id use it in the shower in morning, etc. I like the idea a lot.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
I use it to remove eye makeup but never thought about using it as a facial moisturizer or cleanser also due to my oily skin. Thanks for the info!

Edit: Used extra virgin olive oil last night because my skin has been surprisingly dry lately and I'm digging the results. No breakouts either. Tonight will be another olive oil night!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am officially hooked on Olive Oil for my skin. It is not oily, doesn't have any scent, and I swear my skin looks soooo much better. I have had chapped lips for days, with one irritated spot on my top lip that was red and stingy. I used evoo all night tonight (kept it next to me while I watched a movie) and its pretty much better.
I'm hooked! Amazing something so simple is so beneficial.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Thank you for clarifying, Rags. So how do you use it? Put it on a cotton ball and swipe it over your face? Do you rinse it off afterwards?
I'm wondering this too.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I'm wondering this too.
I have a little 2-3 oz glass jar into which I put olive oil from the kitchen. I keep it on the bathroom counter, and at night (or whenever), I use just my fingers, no cotton, to lightly spread a small amount on my face (mostly), hands, legs, wherever. If I'm washing my face with it, I spread the oil with my fingers and use a hot washcloth to remove it, then while my face and hands are still moist, I add a small amount again and leave it as a moisturizer. It soaks right in, no oiliness. A few times " at night, I have also spread a significant amount before bed on my face, (starts out oily then disappears) and the next morning my skin is baby soft.
I have used it on my hair, to try and avoid split ends. It makes it lustrous (once washed out. Until then you look like a grease ball).

Omg I really can't say enough.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've used it as a make-up remover for a while (although lately I haven't used it much because, well, I haven't worn make-up on a daily basis, so there's been nothing to take off
).
Tonight I tried using it as a cleanser/moisturiser. I rubbed it all over my face with a wet cotton pad, jumped in the shower (I know, it sounds like I'm doing it in the wrong order, but I just happened to do it this way) where I scrubbed my face with scrub gloves. Afterwards, I applied organic wild rose moisturiser on my face.
And good God, my skin feels like baby skin! Even before I applied the moisturiser, my skin felt soft. Usually it dries out completely if I wait even 15 minutes before applying moisturiser after showering, but this time that didn't happen. Pretty amazing when you consider that I'd been showering and scrubbing my face.
I'm a fan already! I've been struggling with dry skin that would look flaky if I applied just a bit of mineral powder (even when I had applied moisturiser beforehand). I'm hoping this is the cure...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts