VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been diagnosed with a B-12 deficiency.

I'm honestly quite embarrassed by this. I've been vegan since July '05. I've known that I should supplement B12. I even have sub-lingual (1000mcg) tablets under my sink. I just looked, and the box, which I vaguely remember buying back in the fall, has only 5 tabs missing from the pack of 60. I was equally awful about taking my multi, and I don't eat any fortified cereal, so I rarely ingested a respectable amount of B-12. What was I thinking?

This has obviously been building up in my system for a long time. From what I've read, this deficiency probably took 3-5 years to develop, so I've been negligent for quite a while. And even over the past several months, while I've been feeling odd, I didn't realize that my symptoms could be related to B-12. I was expecting to feel a tingling in my hands or feet, and since I never did, assumed that my levels were fine. Duh!

What I have been feeling is a lot of fatigue, dizziness, some depression, and shortness of breath. I've also felt "off" mentally - fuzzy-brained. I thought it was hormonal, or even aging. It wasn't until I realized that my workouts were becoming drastically fewer and much less strenuous, and I started to dread walking the dogs in the afternoon that I decided to see a doctor. And when I did, I was convinced that she was going to tell me that I was iron deficient. Duh!

I had to go back to the office today to give another vial of blood. The doc should call me back in the next day or two to let me know if I can use over-the-counter supplements, or if I need prescription strength or shots to get rid of this deficiency.
I don't care what she suggests - I just want to feel better!

So this is just a friendly reminder that all vegans should supplement B-12. If you are, good for you! You're a better vegan than I have been.
And if you're not, get off VB right this minute and get yourself to a store.
And if you've been vegan for a while and haven't been diligent, consider the possibility that a B-12 deficiency might contribute to a low energy level, mental acuity concerns or even your blue moods. Let my stupidity remind you to take care of yourself!!!

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I am so glad that it's that and nothing more serious! Here's to hoping you are on the mend quickly! I used to get B-12 shots (weekly!). They made me feel speedy! I am so sensitive.
I hope you can just have a few of those and then the pills at most.

Be Well!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Aww I'm sorry to hear you're not well - but don't feel like too much of a dummy, it's so easy to forget taking pills and things!

I leave my vitimins on the dining table where I always eat which reminds me to take them with my dinner each day. It's a little unsightly (they get put away when we have guests cause it's a huge green bottle and a tiny table!) but it really does mean I take them EVERY day which I never used to manage. I also always take them at the same time everyday (same with my prescription medication too, and atm hayfever pills!), and it became part of my routine very quickly. So maybe little things like that will remind you in future?

Anyway I hope whatever your doc suggests you're feeling better again soon.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Good to hear that you are a-ok!

Reminds that I probably should take check if I'm deficient of something, even though I'm not a vegan.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys.

Identity_thief, I think you're right - it has to be a part of the routine. I've never liked taking vitamins - they tend to make me nauseous and so I dread taking them - but that obviously has to change. I think I will try to take my multi at night instead of during the day.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Well, it's good to hear that you're back on track.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're a raw vegan, right Poppy?

While I think including raw foods is important and virtually everyone should eat more fresh fruits and veggies, I personally prefer a vegan diet that includes some cooked foods and fortified foods.

Here are three easy vegan eating guides below that can help anyone stay on track and avoid a nutrient deficiency. Check them out:
http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/food_groups.html
http://www.theveganrd.com/food-guide-for-vegans
http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-food-pyramid.asp

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I'm so glad you're OK! Thanks for using your experience as a reminder to us. I am somewhat like Identity_thief, in that I leave my vitamins in plain sight (I have one of those weekly pill boxes with 7 slots; it lives on my counter) and take them at the same time every day, right after breakfast. I grab them while I'm fixing my breakfast so I won't forget. It definitely helps!

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, Elaine - I'm not raw. I actually prefer my food quite hot!

And thanks for those pyramids, they're very good and all point out the need to supplement B12. The funny thing is, the rest of my diet is really excellent. I don't eat junk, I eat whole grains, mostly unprocessed food, and lots of fruits and vegetables. All of my other blood numbers are perfect. I also exercise regularly. I've actually been a bit smug from time to time about how good my diet is compared to most of the other people in my life! Ha!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
That's great that all your other blood tests were on target!
Must be someone else I'm thinking of who eats mostly raw and is called Poppy online. Hmm. Anyway, not important.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I just started supplementing with B-12 a few months ago when my blood work came up borderline-low for it. I've been vegan for about 7 years.

(I take one of
a day, I found them at the grocery store easy enough)

Hope you're feeling better Poppy!

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

You may be thinking of Penny, Elaine. Very different than Poppy.
Same thing I though..Penny79, yes?

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
b12 is stored in your tissues very effectively. i doubt you need to supplement every day, but could even do it on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great, now I'm scared. I'm terrible about taking my vitamins!

The only way I can get myself to consistently supplement B12 is to take it in the form of chewing gum! I LOVE bubblegum, so it works for me!

http://www.bfreshgum.com/view/4/9/

It's vegan B12 bubblegum and I'm seriously addicted to it.

Now if only they would make a vegan multivitamin chewing gum.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts