VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been a terrible procrastinator. i owe tax returns for 2006-2010. unfortunately, i did a lot of day trading in 2009, and the irs thinks i owe them slightly more than 950 thousand dollars. nope, i'm not kidding. they are ready to string me up.

so i got the lord in me and i'm settling down to do my taxes. i had thought i was paying in just enough to cover my tax liability these last few years. wrong. i'm getting a twenty thousand dollar tax refund. i got a little more money coming my way from other things and i'm paying off my mortgage completely in the next month

finally i am free from the banks (and i don't have to buy that stupid flood insurance), and the government too (at least for the moment)
. i'm still pinching myself. all these years of working like mad have really paid off. it's been really hard, but in this country you have the option to work hard and get ahead. it's great to be alive and in america

many happy returns for the other folks here.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
wait. your numbers seem impressively wrong, unless you're a very wealthy nurse.

we're getting back 1500.00.

do tell.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I always file mine in like February. I would consider it dishonest or unethical to lie or procrastinate when it comes to taxes.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

wait. your numbers seem impressively wrong, unless you're a very wealthy nurse.

we're getting back 1500.00.

do tell.
this is over 4 years, and i been paying in 25-30k withholding. i'm still getting nailed to the cross taxwise, just not as much as i thought.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I always file mine in like February. I would consider it dishonest or unethical to lie or procrastinate when it comes to taxes.
it's not dishonest, it's just stupid. think about it. i payed an additional 800.00 in mortgage interest last year when i had the money just sitting there waiting to be claimed. it's like an interest free loan to the government. i have just been so buried in work. at least now i'm due for a break. this calls for a vacation

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Did my taxes back in February. Already got the refund via direct deposit a while back.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

i have been a terrible procrastinator. i owe tax returns for 2006-2010.
Aren't there penalties for late filing, like, your first-born child or something?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

Did my taxes back in February. Already got the refund via direct deposit a while back.
Same here. It's what I'm living on while I look for work.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Aren't there penalties for late filing, like, your first-born child or something?
there is no penalty unless you owe money. but if you wait more than 3 years after the due date, you forfeit your tax refund.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I think this is the first year I didn't procrastinate and get my taxes in at the last minute.

Got a few g's back. Nice and all, but I'm just going to have to give them back when I pay property taxes later this year.

The Man giveth, The Man taketh away...

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I wish tax forms didn;t make me feel so STOOOOPID. I have no difficulty reading but it's easy to get lost in all the special cases that don't apply to you.

I think I mistakenly sent my return to the IRS center that was designated to process returns from my state LAST year. It will get to the right place eventually, but...

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I think this is the first year I didn't procrastinate and get my taxes in at the last minute.

Got a few g's back. Nice and all, but I'm just going to have to give them back when I pay property taxes later this year.

The Man giveth, The Man taketh away...
i'm afraid the man only taketh. but that's a small price to pay to live in the land of opportunity

1 - 13 of 13 Posts