VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a recipe from Incredibly Delicious: The Vegan Paradigm Cookbook. I've altered it a little bit. It's so yummy! Enjoy!!

ITALIAN WHITE BEAN SPREAD

Ingredients:

4 cups of cooked white beans (I use navy beans)

1/4 cup tomato sauce (or a little more, if desired)

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp basil

1/2 tsp oregano

2 Tbsp onion powder or chopped onions

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 Tbsp fresh parsley

2 scallions, chopped

Directions:

Rinse and sort the beans. Soak the beans in water for at least 4 hours (3 cups of water to one cup of dried beans). When soaked, cook over medium heat for about 90 minutes, until beans are tender. Drain the beans in a collander.

Combine 4 cups of the cooked beans, tomato sauce, olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, basil, oregano, sea salt, parsley, and scallions in a blender or food processor. Blend to a smooth consistency.

Transfer to a bowl, and voila, you're done! This is great as a dip, sandwich spread, OR, as I am doing tonight, using it as a sauce/base on mini pizzas!!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"Soak the beans in water for at least 4 hours (3 cups of water to one cup of dried beans). When soaked, cook over medium heat for... "

Do you cook them right in the same water you soaked them in?

This should be ok if you soak for 4 hours or less.

I find that the soaking water from white beans, and from lentils and garbanzos, is quite palatable, but the soaking water from red beans in not.

I know lots of nutrients leave the beans, and go into water used for cooking, but I'm not sure how much nutrients leaves the beans and goes into water used for soaking, so I don't know if there is an advantage to using the soaking water or not.

I know if you soak for a long time the water can support micro-organisms. So I don't use soaking water if I've soaked the beans 10 hours or 12 hours.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I find that what are labelled as "small white beans," as well as "pea beans," and "navy beans" (all are small white beans) take only about 50 minutes to cook, to quite thoroughly tender -- and that, without soaking first. I'd think they should cook in even less time, if soaked first.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Could I used canned beans?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

I find that what are labelled as "small white beans," as well as "pea beans," and "navy beans" (all are small white beans) take only about 50 minutes to cook, to quite thoroughly tender -- and that, without soaking first. I'd think they should cook in even less time, if soaked first.
Thanks, soilman, I didn't know that! I am new to using white beans, so I tend to follow the package directions..........I may have also had them on too low of heat while cooking.

I do recall reading in my bean book that you don't need to soak them. However, the package said to soak them, so I just did it to be safe, b/c I didn't know which way was correct!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ceryna

Could I used canned beans?
Sure, you can use canned beans!! Just measure out 4 cups worth, and there you go!
I would heat them up first, though, as they are easier to blend when warm.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

"Soak the beans in water for at least 4 hours (3 cups of water to one cup of dried beans). When soaked, cook over medium heat for... "

Do you cook them right in the same water you soaked them in?

This should be ok if you soak for 4 hours or less.

I find that the soaking water from white beans, and from lentils and garbanzos, is quite palatable, but the soaking water from red beans in not.

I know lots of nutrients leave the beans, and go into water used for cooking, but I'm not sure how much nutrients leaves the beans and goes into water used for soaking, so I don't know if there is an advantage to using the soaking water or not.

I know if you soak for a long time the water can support micro-organisms. So I don't use soaking water if I've soaked the beans 10 hours or 12 hours.
Yes, I do cook them in the same water I soak them in (unless I am making soup, then I drain out the saoking water and add fresh water). However, I drained the water out of the beans before I blended them (in this recipe). I normally only soak my beans for 4 hours, as in my bean book it says this is the most time any bean needs soaked.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brake4Squirrels

isn't there a faster way to soak beans? by boiling the water and having it sit for 1 hour instead of having to do it overnight?
Yes, there is a quick-soak method. I believe you bring the beans to a boil, then you take them off of the heat and let them sit and soak for just an hour then. I tried this once. For some reason, my beans turned out horribly!! They ended up cooking forever! And they would NOT get tender.

I probably did something wrong that time, but because of that experience I just soak them the long way.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by waywardmelanda

ooohh... i make a similar spread, but i add horseradish........... yum
How much horseradish do you use? My bf loves horseradish - he may like that version! I can never eat horseradish, if I can taste too much of it anyway. I feel like my head's gonna explode!
When I wasn't veg*n, I remember I put some horseradish on raw oysters once - I thought I was gonna die!

·
Registered
0 Posts
i've heard stories about flatulence and soaking water - cook with it and be farty, or drain it to avoid fartyness...

am i on the wrong track?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know about that dogpossum! I do know soaking helps to eliminate the gassy issue..........so I suppose it would make sense to throw out the water they soaked in.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i just add the horseradish to taste... start with 1/2 tsp and work your way up.... it gets spicier the longer it sits, so if in doubt go on the conservative side.

adding a pinch of baking soda to bean boil water reduces flatulence

1 - 14 of 14 Posts